Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #6641
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was looking at signing up for the mountain bike skills clinic at Nipika this year, but unfortunately it's already sold out.
http://nipika.com/spring-mountain-bike-clinic-may-2017/

Any similar clinics in the area? Willing to go within a 3-4 hour drive of Calgary, just want something decent.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #6642
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^likewise. That’d be super cool.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #6643
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up my bike on Friday after work with the new Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 components on it. The bike was also taken apart, cleaned, and put back together. It feels like a brand new bike, and is amazing. I did a 77.5 km ride on Sunday, and the biggest things I noticed were in shifting and gears. I was able to sit down more in the saddle going up hills than I used to, as the cassette is bigger and has some higher (lower?) gears. The shifting is also super crisp. I was shocked by how clean it was, especially switching the front derailleur. I really enjoy having the Shimano shifters to the SRAM shifters. This is just a personal preference, but it makes way more sense to me.

The temperature was around 7 degrees, so I was pretty bundled up, and the wind was howling. I didn't knock off any significant PRs, but I can feel that the new setup will definitely help me go faster and/or further this summer. I'll likely cycle my first century in almost 2 years on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #6644
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just picked up my new 2018 Trek Remedy 8. Can't wait for the snow to melt! I'm down for some group rides this year if you guys are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaneuf_train For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #6645
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We'll have to put together a city ride to go along with the road ride we did last year.

A bike brewery tour could be fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #6646
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, not sure you will be able to keep up with KTrain's 30kph average over 100km with suspension and 2.4" tires, but you can try!

Definitely down for a city ride and a few century rides. Gotta get some prep in for the Highwood Pass KTrain!
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #6647
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I need to order some parts. I don’t live in a town with a bike shop and I have found Chain Reaction has lost its edge. Tips on where to shop online?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #6648
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommendations for where to go for sales right now to finish a road/cyclocross build?

I bought this a year ago and need to start working!
Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed Compact Groupset - Grey 172.5mm-11/28-34/50 BSA - Cycling Groupsets
Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #6649
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like jenson usa for online purchases. stuff arrives usually within 3 days and there are never additional charges.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #6650
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh. So I'm riding home and get a kerthunking coming from my derailleur. I look and the upper pulley isn't spinning. So I hope off, pull the rear wheel and loosen the bolt a little. Enough to let it spin so I can get home. Go to put the wheel back on, and the derailleur pivot isn't swinging to let the wheel back on. Huh. So I manually move it, but it is stiff.

Get home, and that main bolt is really not moving. Broke an allan key and bent another one but got it off. So I open up the plates on the upper pulley, and the bearings are full of metal and the grease has turned to glue. Looks like the bearing cage exploded. I go hunting through my parts bin, and fortunately have a spare, and it is even brand new which is not normal for my parts bin.

So I check the lower bearing and it is full of glue grease, but the cage is fine. Clean it up, grease it and put it all back together. So I re-hang the derailleur and try to shift, and it is all wonky. Turns out the b-screw is not making contact. I checked everything and it is straight, so I have no idea what is going on. I think maybe my derailleur hanger broke off where the B screw makes contact. I stuffed a nut no the end and it is big enough to hit the pad now, but man, what a pain. This winter has been savage on my bike.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #6651
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow, what a find to have a pulley in the tickle trunk.

I am made at myself today as two weeks ago I ordered a fancy new thru bolt from the hard working boys at wolftooth for the front hub of my thunderbolt - I wanted a blue bolt, but mistakenly I ordered a black bolt and of course I did not notice until it arrived today. black will work, but blue would be cooler. and given the shipping hassles and cost, I am not going to send it back.

I also ordered a lever for the dropper on my fat bike. I learned a good lesson about droppers when I installed this, as I opted for the lowest cost dropper I could find (ks eten), the dropper works fine, but the lever was plastic and it has help up all winter, but it is just a matter of time until it breaks, and I then found out that the seat post has no option to adjust the upward/downward tilt, and I am a freak and like the nose of the seat tilted slightly upward, so I really hate this dropper as I can't get the seat into a comfortable position. at the end of the day I should have just bought the giant contact from my LBS and it would have been about the same price as the ks e-ten plus the new lever.

The only silver lining is that I may install this dropper on my wife's mtn bike, and then buy a contact to put on to my fattie.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #6652
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A seat post that doesn't adjust tilt? What kind of monster would make one like that?

EDIT: This review says it is adjustable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B018XKAG8Y

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-29-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #6653
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will look at the post again, but the last time I horsed around with it, I could not adjust it to my liking
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #6654
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody know what time Bow Cycle usually releases their Blue Light Special deals? Their website just vaguely says check back April 2nd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #6655
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Nice and brisk this morning, pathways were dry. Really pleasant ride.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #6656
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Anybody know what time Bow Cycle usually releases their Blue Light Special deals? Their website just vaguely says check back April 2nd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
They're up.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #6657
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often hear you guys talk about wind. I usually think it's quite overblown. Haha - Dad joke.

Anyways, I was out for a ride yesterday. My plan was to do 75-100 kms, depending on how I felt. I was at the 30 km mark, which was the turnaround point. I didn't realize how strong the wind had been at my back until I started going back towards home. Holy crap it was a gale force. When I got to the point where I could go north to head to North and West Van and then continue westward, I just continued home. The last 10 kms were soul crushing. I ended my ride at 50 kms, drenched in sweat, which was surprising given how chilly it was. It felt like I had biked 100 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #6658
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

hah, yeah we complain a lot about the wind in Calgary. I never realized how windy it is here until I started cycling everyday. It is soul crushing. It's such a mental thing though. Yeah it's a lot tougher, but you have to learn to accept it and rationalize it in your brain. I'm still learning to do that.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #6659
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me there is nothing worse than having the wind at your back at the start of the ride as it lulls you into thinking the wind is not that bad.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #6660
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of wind, here is Kirsti Lay's instagram from the other day. She's a former speed skater, turned Olympic cyclist, and pro cyclist for Rally cycling. She's from Medicine Hat and home base is Calgary.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg2gcHyF...aken-by=layk88

Closed Thread