Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #441
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
According to Dreger, UFA forwards who made $3-4M last year are being offered $1M or less.
Hoping Treliving is able to move out some cap(Ryan, Rittich?) so we can take advantage of this.

Last edited by JurassicTunga12; 10-13-2020 at 08:00 PM.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #442
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
According to Dreger, UFA forwards who made $3-4M last year are being offered $1M or less.
Just listening to his podcast

Dreger:
"I'm not going to name the player and I'm not going to name the team but I will say this is a good defenceman available in free agency, and there is a handful of these guys out there, a team offered a 1yr $750K deal for this player"
Ferrarro:
"Cause that's what they had left?"
Dreger:
"They just were ultimately bargain shopping and basically just said, you may have been a 4-5M defenceman last season but if you've got nothing here's something and this is all we can do. I would say this is a team that has space so they're not a up against it type of team but my point in telling that story is simply because that's where the system is."

Has to be Hamonic or Vatanen, I'm guessing WPG offer to Hamonic. I'd take either of those guys for 1M.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #443
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post

Dreger:
"I'm not going to name the player and I'm not going to name the team but I will say this is a good defenceman available in free agency, and there is a handful of these guys out there, a team offered a 1yr $750K deal for this player"
Ferrarro:
Dreger:
"They just were ultimately bargain shopping and basically just said, you may have been a 4-5M defenceman last season but if you've got nothing here's something and this is all we can do. I would say this is a team that has space so they're not a up against it type of team but my point in telling that story is simply because that's where the system is."

Has to be Hamonic or Vatanen, I'm guessing WPG offer to Hamonic. I'd take either of those guys for 1M.
Could also be Ceci or Kulikov
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #444
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya could be them also. Amazing year for depth if you have a little bit of cap space. The dead money the Flames are carrying around is really brutal this year.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #445
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

With a condensed schedule teams will need to borrow from the NBA and give some older guys nights off so often. So you probably want 23 guys on a roster that fits under the cap and be able to move 2 bodies on and off very easily.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #446
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

A ufa might have several offers for $750k. No need to sign that deal now. Wait until someone comes back at $1 or $1.25M , or a team with a lot of cap space offers $2M

Things could clear up after arbitration when teams know how much they have left
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 AM   #447
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What about taking a flyer on Anthony Duclair? 2 years, $1.3 million per. Guy scored over 20 last year on a terrible Sens team. Maybe add some scoring punch to the 3rd line, and possibly 2nd line minutes in a pinch....
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #448
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A ufa might have several offers for $750k. No need to sign that deal now. Wait until someone comes back at $1 or $1.25M , or a team with a lot of cap space offers $2M

Things could clear up after arbitration when teams know how much they have left
or the chairs could be filled when the music stops. They could be left with a a PTO offer to a covid training camp and hope for a injury.

Take the Flames for instance.

5.7 M in cap

Expect to sign RFA Kylington (800k) and Mangiapane 2M

That leave the Flames with 10 forwards and 6 D-men and 2.9 M of cap space

The #7 d-men ... Mackey $975k and 1.95 M left for 4 forwards

Robinson and Rinaldo 700k x 2 = 1.4 leaves 50k for 2 forwards

The Flames have no room to offer Hamonic or Vantaten anything more than what Kylington's cap hit.

There are a lot of teams that are equally messed.

It will be very interesting how it works out for the Flames and other Cap stressed team.

It might turn out that the most important management person is not the scouts or coaches, analytics guy, video break down, advanced scouts or even the GMs. It might be the Cap Accountant. Do the Flames have one?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #449
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
What about taking a flyer on Anthony Duclair? 2 years, $1.3 million per. Guy scored over 20 last year on a terrible Sens team. Maybe add some scoring punch to the 3rd line, and possibly 2nd line minutes in a pinch....
Absolutely. Really like the “never quit” attitude on this goal.

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #450
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post

Didn’t Ottawa offer him a raise from his last contract and he balked at it? I guess he is getting to the point where he won’t get the money he was looking for .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #451
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't realize he had made $1.65 last year in Ottawa, for some reason I thought he was on a close to min deal.

I'm still comfortable on a 2 year, $2.0 per deal. He's got some jam in his game, and can score. Even a 1 year "prove it" deal would make sense.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #452
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 yr for $1.5 million for the 3rd line would be nice for Duclair. He wouldn't do it because the odds are his production will drop a lot being on the 3rd line and his next UFA contract will hurt because of it.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #453
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine Duclair is just one of many UFAs that wish they had taken whatever deal was offered to them by their original team before declining and testing the market.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #454
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Hoping Treliving is able to move out some cap(Ryan, Rittich?) so we can take advantage of this.
Ryan can be bought out and get the Flames an extra 2M in cap space at a cost of losing 1M next year.

What would the cost be to move Ryan's contract?

Are there 2 Ryan level UFA's that could be signed for 1M or less?

If the arbitrator give Mangiapane 3M do the Flames let him go? Hard to think that arbitration is not supposed to consider the non-rising cap and cap crisis that has dampened the UFA market so drastically.

Last edited by ricardodw; 10-14-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #455
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I imagine Duclair is just one of many UFAs that wish they had taken whatever deal was offered to them by their original team before declining and testing the market.
He can't even say he was badly advised.

The PTO season is gonna be huge this year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #456
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Ryan can be bought out and get the Flames an extra 2M in cap space at a cost of losing 1M next year.

What would the cost be to move Ryan's contract?

Are there 2 Ryan level UFA's that could be signed for 1M or less?

If the arbitrator give Mangiapane 3M do the Flames let him go? Hard to think that arbitration is not supposed to consider the non-rising cap and cap crisis that has dampened the UFA market so drastically.
I'm fairly confident Mangiapane will be locked up before his arbitration date. If Gudbranson can be moved for a 5th I'm sure they could find a home for Ryan. The UFA market is very thin on centers.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #457
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
1 yr for $1.5 million for the 3rd line would be nice for Duclair. He wouldn't do it because the odds are his production will drop a lot being on the 3rd line and his next UFA contract will hurt because of it.
if players who previously made $4M are now offered $750K, then neither the Flames nor anyone else should be offering $1.5M to Duclair
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #458
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm fairly confident Mangiapane will be locked up before his arbitration date. If Gudbranson can be moved for a 5th I'm sure they could find a home for Ryan. The UFA market is very thin on centers.
The Flames were specifically hard on him last year... giving him a 2-way contract..... with 70K in the AHL

They told him to go out and prove he was a NHLer. I don't think there will be a lot of good will or home town discount.

I guess they have to figure out what they can afford to give him as top-9 guy that keeps him from getting a top-6 settlement from arbitration.

If he gets a top-6 settlement based on last season's RFA deals the Flames would have to work hard dumping salary to keep him on the roster.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #459
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Dreger:
Ferrarro:
Dreger:

Traditionally, hamonic would be looking forward to ~$15M to $20M contract for another 4-6 years. But with a stagnant cap, tight finances league wide and uncertain future regarding covid, no one wants to be the GM paying $4M/yr for the player who is most likely to sit at home if things get scary again. Hamonic probably cost himself $10M by opting out of the playoffs.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #460
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Dreger:
Ferrarro:
Dreger:

If I'm Tre and Hamonic asks for an offer, I'd be like, "Covid is still as real and dangerous as it was during the playoffs. If you're too scared of it then, you're too scared of it now. Hit the bricks pal"
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post: