Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #41
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nine Things from Leavins

Link
Just trying to capture the spirit of the thing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default E=NG in RD Flames rookies take the Oilers in OT

Quote:
Nine Things from Leavins

Link
I am honestly mystified by the Oilers media’s enthusiasm about Bouchard. Is it because they have never seen “a defenseman” before yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #43
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know we like to hate on the oilers but that Bouchard kid is good. I'd love to have him in a Flames jersey. He's probably on their #1 pairing by the end of the year which speaks to both his talent and the lack of oilers defence.

That said I would agree with the missed call that led to the goal. Refs blew that one and are in fine playoff form and it's only September!
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #44
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man there is just something about Pospisil , He just seems to be loving it , reminds me of Nieminen
FlatLandFlamesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Haha, funny they're drooling over Bouchard. I barely noticed him and I was looking for him. I was watching to see if he had learned to skate and was fairly satisfied that he hadn't.
He doesn't think the game well either.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouchard was good. Not dynamic though. They're so starved for success up there you have to take their comments and automatically dial them back 3 or 4 points . "Bouchard looks like Pronger!" = "A capable defense man! So that's what they look like"
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I know we like to hate on the oilers but that Bouchard kid is good. I'd love to have him in a Flames jersey. He's probably on their #1 pairing by the end of the year which speaks to both his talent and the lack of oilers defence.

That said I would agree with the missed call that led to the goal. Refs blew that one and are in fine playoff form and it's only September!

Would you swap him for Valimaki? I sure as hell would not.

Bouchard was fine—one of the best of the Oilers last night along with McLeod and probably Benson. At one point Booster Bob said he looked like he was playing the game in an easy-chair. But here’s the thing: that will NEVER fly at the NHL level. He’s got really good vision, but his poor skating and passive zone play is going to cripple him against NHL players.

I think it’s hilarious that he is the best Oilers prospect since Connor McDavid. Edmonton is no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #48
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Bouchard was the only top ten pick on the ice last night. He should stand out.

So suggesting he wasn't good is probably a stretch, but was he good enough given the gap between himself and the draft pedigree on display?

Pelletier is a 1st rounder but recent and late, other Calgary guys are moving beyond their draft standing like Dube and Phillips.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #49
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames youth did well, looking forward to seeing these guys progress in the American Hockey League this year.

Dubé - Phillips - Gawdin
Philp - Ruzicka - Mckenna
Morelli - Pospisil - Tuulola

Nielsen - Yelesin
Hamilton - Osburn
Schueneman

Zagidulin

Last edited by David Struch; 09-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So suggesting he wasn't good is probably a stretch, but was he good enough given the gap between himself and the draft pedigree on display?

Pelletier is a 1st rounder but recent and late, other Calgary guys are moving beyond their draft standing like Dube and Phillips.
I think he did. And to be honest, he doesnt have much help over there with McLeod and maybe Benson being the most notable. The Flames should have wiped the floor with them last night, except we were in a worse spot defensively. We have all the fws and had only one good puck mover on the back end. The rest were pretty meh. Nielsen was okay but not enough to stand out.

Can Bouchard look a lot better with more help? Obviously. But he was good enough to be the best on his team. McLeod came a close 2nd.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
#Flames prospect Eetu Tuulola was a full participant in practice today at Winsport after leaving last night's game with a lower body injury.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #52
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
From the same article:
I would not at all be surprised if John Shannon ended up with the Oilers Entertainment Group in some capacity. There is more than one connection between the two. And John is both a good hockey man and a good guy.
Assistant to Bobby Nich?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #53
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have insight on the altercation with Osborn?
Is there history? Something happen prior?
I recall the back story on him being undrafted and physical?
ColoradoFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #54
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the game and honestly didn’t notice Bouchard except for his controller disconnected glide on the backcheck during Phillips OT goal. Guess that’s why they like him. He looks like a true Oiler already.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #55
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
#Flames prospect Eetu Tuulola was a full participant in practice today at Winsport after leaving last night's game with a lower body injury.
At first I thought it was a muscle cramp since he couldn't bend his leg. Then I realized it was wishful thinking, but maybe not.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #56
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough angle and camera work for evaluation I thought. Looking forward to Tuesday in person which will give opportunity for better viewing.

Dube and Bouchard
The two players in the game who will play in the NHL this season were heads and shoulders the best players on the ice as you would expect and hope. Even in an exhibition game of this nature Dube was buzzing all over the ice, creating and preventing in equal parts instead of mailing it in and coasting - man against boys. Opposite in mannerism, Bouchard looked like he was bored playing in a summer post-workout skate yet still dominated by way of his efficient decision making and crisp execution. Two excellent prospects who are unlikely to play in league other than the NHL over the next decade.

Phillips
Excellent motor and as always showed how highly he thinks the game. A nightmare on the forecheck on evening with his agility and anticipation, particularly when pursuing poor puck moving defensemen.

Pelletier
Like Phillips and Dube, displayed a terrific work rate despite the nature of the game. Tenacious and while not as noticeable as the other two in flashy moments, played an efficient game particularly in the neutral zone.

Pospisil
Noticeable for many physical reasons but I thought he also had a good game along the boards and in front of the Oilers' net. What a nightmare for opposing team.

Yelesin
Thought his decision making was good, but his execution was a little timid. The speed of the game on the smaller ice surface will take some adjusting for him, particularly with closing angles he takes, but he has the tools.

Benson
While it sucks he's an Oiler, good to see he's finally healthy and developing. Love watching him in bantam and his injury run has been terrible to see.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #57
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posipisil should get into more scraps early in the pre-season here while it's mostly young kids playing. With his style of play, he's going to be getting into a lot of fights and there are some real killers in the AHL. He needs to get more experience fighting and work his way up.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Just finished watching the game and honestly didn’t notice Bouchard except for his controller disconnected glide on the backcheck during Phillips OT goal. Guess that’s why they like him. He looks like a true Oiler already.
I'm just watching it now, and have an eye on Bouchard due to the praise being heaped on him.

In the 2nd period alone, there were 3 plays I noticed:

1) he made a brutal read on the offensive blueline, as the Flames got the puck on the boards (not his side), and carried it into the neutral zone. As the backside D, he has to be back, but no, he stays on the blueline for some reason. The Flames move out 2 on 1 and send Gawdin in on a breakaway (should have been Bouchard's man)

2) on the Flames' PP, where they had about 5 shots, guess who was the D man in front of the net, never covering a soul, and just waiting for a chance to grab the puck? It was about a minute in the defensive zone, and he just floated around, really having no idea what he should be doing. If Pospisil doesn't fumble with the open net, Bouchard's man makes it 1-0 unchecked.

3) later in the period, Dube carries the puck to the Oiler blueline on a routine 3 on 2. Dube moves towards Bouchard, then cuts to the middle. Bouchard completely bites and chases Dube into the midle, so Dube slides it over to Phillips on the vacated side, who goes in all alone on the goalie.

Three shifts, 3 horrible shifts defensively. Terrible. Of course, the commentators never mentioned it.

Then there is a shift that the Flames have the puck in the offensive zone. Bouchard covers no one, and is stuck in no man's land. The Flames' forward on the wall tries to pass it down low to the forward in deep (and wide open behind Bouchard). Bouchard intercepts the pass. Stauffer says 'wow!' and the play by play guy gushes about about how easily Bouchard made the play. In reality, he was totally out of position and extremely fortunate.

The guy was an absolute disaster defensively. But, as the commentators said, he was very poised with the puck. The problem is that he will not be able to play like that in the NHL. He probably will on the Oilers though.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #59
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Isn't Phillips who scored the winner last night was drafted in the last round in his draft year?
Old 09-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #60
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Isn't Phillips who scored the winner last night was drafted in the last round in his draft year?
Close.

6th round pick. 166th overall. 7th round is the last round.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good.