Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #21
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I see Bouchard is the next overrated Oilers prospect.
They can't help themselves, can they?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #22
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dube and Phillips were real standouts, as expected, also noticed Pospisil (not just for the snarl and hits either), Zavgorodniy, and Philp in good ways. Pelletier was good too

Zagidulin was great back there, after the KHL this pace must feel really easy for him.

In general the Flames prospects were faster and more determined, had a ton of good chances but not a lot of finish
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Also, the troutman-coined nickname "Big Snag Zag" is officially a thing.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170407849760944128
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

i think The Dulin Wall is a fantastic nickname and I profusely thank whomever it was who came up with that

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #25
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
i think The Dulin Wall is a fantastic nickname and I profusely thank whomever it was who came up with that
All hail getbak.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #26
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oiler fans overrating as usual:

Quote:
Bouchard looks fantastic right now.
Quote:
Bouchard's the best player on the ice and it's not even ****ing close tbh
Quote:
Bouchard is quite easily on another level compared to these guys, and they are high end AHLers some of them. Have to think Bouchard starts the season with the big club again even if in a PP role. He looks incredible.
Quote:
Bouchard was quite easily the best player after the 1st. I liked McLeod and Samorukov too.
Quote:
Bouchard's been the best player on the ice. McLeod has also stood out.
Quote:
Best player on the ice for either team from what I’ve seen. Only tuned in a couple mins into the 2nd.
Quote:
Not really. The Oilers had a much better first, and part of the reason they struggled in the 2nd was that they had to kill 2 penalties. And Bouchard and Sammy have been dominant. Especially Bouchard.
Such salty tears:

Quote:
****ing Flames are a trash organization. Slew foot, dive, sucker punch. Keeping it classy in ****hole town.
Quote:
Oilers better send someone after one of the flames players.

End phillips career now, ****ing trash organization.
Quote:
**** these Flames. Someone needs to take a Flames head off
Quote:
This is why you don't play the Flames without a goon. Dirty pieces of ****.
Quote:
Flames appear to be grooming a young crop of Tkachuk pieces of ****. They have Zac Rinaldo and DSP on PTO’s. Traded for Lucic. Appears they are building a bottom grouping of pond scum garbage.
Falling down is now a trip:

Quote:
Blatant Trip there in OT.
Quote:
How was there no call there?
Quote:
Well that looked like a trip.
Quote:
Brutal non call on a no trip. Silly game. Bouchard was great, Benson and Samurokov were decent, the rest were meh.
Quote:
lol non call on a trip leads to the loss. Feels like an oiler game.
Quote:
Not surprised that we lost the game after a blatant non call.
Quote:
****, the Flames played like crap most of the game and won
Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #27
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got back from the game. I am going to give a few thoughts on who I thought the best player for the Flames were tonight. I'm not saying the other player were bad, they just didn't make any distance between them and the rest of the field that's all.

Dube was head and shoulders the best player on the ice. He is too good to be playing in these games.

Zagidulin looked calm in net. A few times he was bailed out, and he was never consistently challenged. Still, it is hard to argue with results. I wonder how he will look when he faces NHL shots.

Pelletier plays the game the right way. He does not cut corners and is very hard on the puck. He has great habits and a great instinct. He was a clear standout. All he needs is NHL strength and he is ready. He already plays like a pro, hard starts and stops, in passing lanes, and he back checks as hard and he forechecks. He made a few scoring chances out of nothing plays.

Phillips always amazes me with how hard nose of a game he plays. Above that he has flashes of skill that makes in a serious offensive threat. This player is not afraid for a second and goes to the dirty areas. I have a soft spot for players who rush the puck straight at the net, he has excellent penetration.

Ruzicka is a funny player. He is easy to notice because he has silky hands and is towering. He was invisible a few times especially late in the game. That said, he has a knack for being in the right spot and for moving the puck to the right spot. I dont know if his 200ft game will make him a good pro, but his offensive instincts are good.

Yelelshin made smart decisions. it's hard to evaluate him under these circumstances but he was good enough, we will know better after some real preseason games. A pro has nothing to learn from rookie tryouts.

Pospisil is a piece of work. Hard to evaluate his skill from what I saw. He was looking for trouble all night. He could have easily been called for 2 or 3 more penalties.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #28
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha, funny they're drooling over Bouchard. I barely noticed him and I was looking for him. I was watching to see if he had learned to skate and was fairly satisfied that he hadn't.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #29
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What exactly happened to Tuulola? Would be a shame if it’s a bad injury. One of the players I was really curious to see how they play in Stockton.

Great to hear Dube picked up where he left off from last preseason. Really think he’ll be a player all season for the flames.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #30
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I agree with some of those Oiler fans, Bouchard should start the season in the NHL. We all would love that.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #31
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
What exactly happened to Tuulola? Would be a shame if it’s a bad injury. One of the players I was really curious to see how they play in Stockton.

Great to hear Dube picked up where he left off from last preseason. Really think he’ll be a player all season for the flames.
He was rubbed off a puck in the Oilers corner, they got tangled and he dropped. I think he twisted his knee. Oil goobers called it a dive for a call only to have the refs call the play dead to get him help.

Hope he is alright. His knee didnt bend at any point going off the ice.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #32
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I thought it looked like he was pointing at his hip when the trainer came out. Either way, hope he's ok. He's a decent prospect, don't want to derail his development.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #33
cpltanto
Draft Pick

Let's not get too excited over a prospect's game
Of course Dube looked good, but to even suggest him taking over 2C is insanity, he's playing against young boys and not full grown men, that's where we need to see if he's grown his game and strength
cpltanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #34
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yikes, haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzwqcIZpnJk

Delicious comments. A ref must've tied Marody's skate laces together without him noticing when he fell at the end, 'cause they sure are mad at the refs for him falling over.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:28 AM   #35
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #36
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Full interviews from the Flames site:

And for those that missed it, Brad Pascall during the 2nd intermission:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #37
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpltanto View Post
Let's not get too excited over a prospect's game
Of course Dube looked good, but to even suggest him taking over 2C is insanity, he's playing against young boys and not full grown men, that's where we need to see if he's grown his game and strength
Exactly. Especially after this exact thing happened last year...he was a clear standout in camp, but progressively became less visible in the last few preseason games when the competition went up. Then didn’t make much of an impact in the NHL. He’ll get there, but we already knew he could dominate at this level; anything less would be a step back for him. I’m not going to bother judging him until the last few exhibition games.
PugnaciousIntern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Nine Things from Leavins

Quote:
2. Be careful to read too much into a rookie game. Quality of competition is such a major factor. But Evan Bouchard was a man among boys. His elite offensive abilities shone. He turned up ice through heavy traffic to deliver smooth outlet passes. He took command in the O-zone, displaying excellent vision and cool decision-making. His feet looked quicker. And his defending was solid despite an uneven night for D-partner Dmitri Samorukov and a general lack of structure in the game over-all. But that’s typical for an early season exhibition match. What to add after all of that praise? That yes, Evan Bouchard should stand out in a Rookie game. But it’s a great sign that he is on his game and ready to battle for a spot on the Oilers D. I think Bouchard has better chance than you might think.
Link
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #39
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

His elite offensive abilities shone.... while getting shutout
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #40
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the same article:
I would not at all be surprised if John Shannon ended up with the Oilers Entertainment Group in some capacity. There is more than one connection between the two. And John is both a good hockey man and a good guy.

Tags
edmonton is no good.