Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2022, 12:21 AM   #681
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...che-nhl-hockey
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:22 AM   #682
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of focusing on the strengths of this team, maybe it is a worthwhile endeavour to get our heads out of the clouds and look at this team's weaknesses, and see where they may have issues.

Weaknesses:
None. No, really, name it. Think long and hard. Not enough depth on the roster? I will give you one... travel schedule? That's about it. At the risk of sounding like a homer, let's focus on the strengths to illustrate my point.

Strengths:

Goaltending: I would say it is probably in the top 5. Want to argue that because of the Oilers' series? That's up to you. I feel they are still a top 5 team in net.

Defence: I would say top 5 team there too. Where in the top 5? I don't know, but that's some seriously good quality from 1-6. The only possible gripe here is there is no franchise-level game-breaker, but this is a very good 1-6 group that were solidly in the top 5 last year by every metric that I saw, and now have improved.

Centers: This is harder to rate. I mean, McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH is really good, but Draisaitl plays with McDavid a lot, and defensively as a group they are not particularly strong. Crosby-Malkin-Carter is definitely still elite (though Carter is waning). Lindholm, Kadri and Backlund as a group should be among the top 5 in production by centers I am guessing, but also be among the top 5 for defence. Of course the Oilers trio will out-produce the Flames' centers, but head to head? Flames might be able to neutralize them effectively. This will be interesting. At any rate, even if you feel my ranking is too high, the center depth is an absolute strength, not a weakness.

Wingers: Huberdeau, Toffoli, Mangiapane. That's 3 bona fide top 6 wingers. This includes an elite-level winger (Huberdeau) and a very analytically strong play-driving winger in Mangiapane that doesn't need the PP to produce. Plus, you still have good young wingers to grow into their roles like Dube, Pelletier, Ruzicka now (I assume he will be a winger now), etc. decent depth and high-end talent.

Coaching: This is Darryl Sutter. Name 4 better coaches than him on different teams. You can't.

I can't really point at any weaknesses or glaring holes on the roster. There will be centers that out-produce Calgary's trio of centers, but I think very few will be able to match-up head to head as well. Calgary's strength down the middle is in part because they are all very good defensive centers.

My prediction: Flames will probably stay close to 6th overall in goals for this season. With Kadri and Weegar, I think it really closest the gap for Tkachuk, especially if Dube or another winger take a small step forward which is likely. Flames will be the number 1 team defensively though (they were 3rd last year, and only 6 goals from being tied for 1st with Carolina (and the Flames had 12 goals less than 4th place Boston).

Flames are still not in the "Colorado, Tampa" level of contender, but I do think they are in the Carolina, St. Louis, Minnesota level - that very next tier. That's down-right amazing considering their best player walked for absolutely nothing, and their only other franchise-level player forced a trade.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #683
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kadri is now the 77th highest paid NHL player.
7 x 7, lucky 7's. 😆
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #684
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Actually had a dream last week that the Flames signed Kadri.
I've always liked poster Reggie Dunlop, but with psychic powers he may be unstoppable.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 12:36 AM   #685
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^^^ C4L, I really like that post

I don’t quite see the G as top 5. Above average, but the Vezina nom IMO was benefiting from Sutter D, but brutally hung out to dry vs Edmonton.

Otherwise, spot on

Oh, except calling Tkachuk franchise level.

Even Keith recognized how important Backs was to his early success. And that 13-28-19 combo definitely gave him a career year on which he wisely cashed in. He is good net front presence, good hands, and guys like Andreychuk made a living out of that. Tkachuk has a bit better vision I may argue. I’ve never seen him play with poor linemates and have to do the heavy lifting though. Definitely needs to mature as well. More consistent in interviews than on the ice
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:04 AM   #686
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm more lukewarm to the moves yesterday than most. I wanted the Flames to stay away from Kadri because I think his 21-22 season was a mirage and I fully expect him to come back to earth. I've said a number of times on here that whoever is signing him to a fat long-term deal is going to regret that pretty quickly, and I pray I'm wrong here. 7 x 7 is not quite as bad as I had feared, but it's still pretty bad. Also certainly hoped to use the Florida 1st in a different way too. I get cap space is a prime asset these days, but so is a 1st ... having to move one to get Monahan off the books and sign Kadri still stings in my book.

All of that being said, I do think we're a better team than last season now, or at least more balanced. We replaced one great winger with another, upgraded C and D massively at the cost of one great winger. That still seems like a bloody good turnaround to me ... so while I'm not all that excited about yesterday's moves in isolation, I think it's fine in the big picture of things. Hopefully Kadri makes me eat crow big-time
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:21 AM   #687
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
This is the worst ####ing contract in Flames history.

Brad just made a terrible mistake.
Troy Brouwer and James Neal would like to have a word
Old 08-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #688
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Instead of focusing on the strengths of this team, maybe it is a worthwhile endeavour to get our heads out of the clouds and look at this team's weaknesses, and see where they may have issues.

Weaknesses:
None. No, really, name it. Think long and hard. Not enough depth on the roster? I will give you one... travel schedule? That's about it. At the risk of sounding like a homer, let's focus on the strengths to illustrate my point.

Strengths:

Goaltending: I would say it is probably in the top 5. Want to argue that because of the Oilers' series? That's up to you. I feel they are still a top 5 team in net.

Defence: I would say top 5 team there too. Where in the top 5? I don't know, but that's some seriously good quality from 1-6. The only possible gripe here is there is no franchise-level game-breaker, but this is a very good 1-6 group that were solidly in the top 5 last year by every metric that I saw, and now have improved.

Centers: This is harder to rate. I mean, McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH is really good, but Draisaitl plays with McDavid a lot, and defensively as a group they are not particularly strong. Crosby-Malkin-Carter is definitely still elite (though Carter is waning). Lindholm, Kadri and Backlund as a group should be among the top 5 in production by centers I am guessing, but also be among the top 5 for defence. Of course the Oilers trio will out-produce the Flames' centers, but head to head? Flames might be able to neutralize them effectively. This will be interesting. At any rate, even if you feel my ranking is too high, the center depth is an absolute strength, not a weakness.

Wingers: Huberdeau, Toffoli, Mangiapane. That's 3 bona fide top 6 wingers. This includes an elite-level winger (Huberdeau) and a very analytically strong play-driving winger in Mangiapane that doesn't need the PP to produce. Plus, you still have good young wingers to grow into their roles like Dube, Pelletier, Ruzicka now (I assume he will be a winger now), etc. decent depth and high-end talent.

Coaching: This is Darryl Sutter. Name 4 better coaches than him on different teams. You can't.

I can't really point at any weaknesses or glaring holes on the roster. There will be centers that out-produce Calgary's trio of centers, but I think very few will be able to match-up head to head as well. Calgary's strength down the middle is in part because they are all very good defensive centers.

My prediction: Flames will probably stay close to 6th overall in goals for this season. With Kadri and Weegar, I think it really closest the gap for Tkachuk, especially if Dube or another winger take a small step forward which is likely. Flames will be the number 1 team defensively though (they were 3rd last year, and only 6 goals from being tied for 1st with Carolina (and the Flames had 12 goals less than 4th place Boston).

Flames are still not in the "Colorado, Tampa" level of contender, but I do think they are in the Carolina, St. Louis, Minnesota level - that very next tier. That's down-right amazing considering their best player walked for absolutely nothing, and their only other franchise-level player forced a trade.
RW is clearly the Flames weakness.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #689
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great post C4L! The only weakness I would add is until proven otherwise is that I question this teams mental fortitude. Perhaps a lot of that had to do with some key players who always seemed like potential flight risks. Perhaps subconsciously they weren’t fully invested. I’m so happy to not have to hear about players who are being speculated about wanting out.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #690
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
RW is clearly the Flames weakness.
Team speed still remains to be seen as well.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #691
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Treliving is going to love this guy:

Quote:
My diaper-changing isn’t as good as my hockey yet, but we’re working on it. Trust the process.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 08-19-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #692
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have we heard anything about NTCs or NMCs, yet?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #693
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looking at the deal on the surface, this is hard to stomach. That's a lot of scratch for a 2nd line center. In the larger context, I like this deal. We improved on Sean Monahan for less than a league minimum salary and with substantial term. That is a massive win. We may not like the numbers right now, but I think that because we got a top end second line center for the cost close to what Monahan was being paid, it's full on win. Treliving paid what he needed to pay and didn't mess with the salary structure which should play out well as the cap slowly escalates.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #694
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560595662479265792

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-19-2022 at 07:32 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #695
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow no SBs at the end of the deal.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #696
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Wow no SBs at the end of the deal.
Which means the contract can be bought out in years 5-7 for cap savings.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #697
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Which means the contract can be bought out in years 5-7 for cap savings.
Yeah that what's impressive. Very team friendly.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #698
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
You’re the king sureLoss. every detail as soon as it’s available all in one place.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #699
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Weaknesses:

Strengths:

No weakness so the Flames should be the cup favorite?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #700
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Many of us have been highly critical of Murray Edwards (myself included), but it's worth noting that both Huberdeau and Kadri thanked and mentioned him by name as one of the (many) positive aspects of the organization that helped convince them to commit long term.

Speculating here, but perhaps it wasn't only Treliving for whom the Gaudreau thing lit a competitive fire. That bodes well for the future, IMO.

Last edited by liamenator; 08-19-2022 at 08:25 AM.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post: