Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #21
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

When will coaches learn #13 and #23 on the same line doesn't work. It stopped working when Hudler left.

Wondering if we're gonna do the same thing in practice on that pp (pathetic play) again . Maybe put Johnny in an angry bird slingshot so he can gain more speed just to get stopped cold in his tracks again...wash rinse repeat.

Ask the dumbest guy in the league what thr Flames will do on the powerplay and he'll be able to tell you....Holy F ing predictable.

We need to split Johnny and Sean up permanently or pull a Scotty Bowman ....make them play D and put Valimaki and Raz up at forward for awhile.....now that's some insanity we haven't tried again and again yet.....they'll learn how to be way better without the puck ffs.

Seriously why not ??? I tell you why....because F U Everlast.....thats why.

I hope they start trying something new soon instead of being predictable....because my confirmation bias is starting to make me nucking futs.

We got a point yes but blew game 1. Early points matter and always do ....so please for the love of Fata ....start playing full games.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #22
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
When will coaches learn #13 and #23 on the same line doesn't work. It stopped working when Hudler left.
Yeah, if you forget about the best season they both had in the NHL after Hudler was no longer playing in the league...

They've not been great together like that since, but we don't need to keep revising it further and further.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have no faith in Ward as a coach. And this is not because of game 1 of the season.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Wondering if we're gonna do the same thing in practice on that pp (pathetic play) again . Maybe put Johnny in an angry bird slingshot so he can gain more speed just to get stopped cold in his tracks again...wash rinse repeat.

Ask the dumbest guy in the league what thr Flames will do on the powerplay and he'll be able to tell you....Holy F ing predictable.

We need to split Johnny and Sean up permanently or pull a Scotty Bowman ....make them play D and put Valimaki and Raz up at forward for awhile.....now that's some insanity we haven't tried again and again yet.....they'll learn how to be way better without the puck ffs.

Seriously why not ??? I tell you why....because F U Everlast.....thats why.

I hope they start trying something new soon instead of being predictable....because my confirmation bias is starting to make me nucking futs.

We got a point yes but blew game 1. Early points matter and always do ....so please for the love of Fata ....start playing full games.

??

They both had their best seasons AFTER Hudler left.

This has nothing to do with "who else" they play with and everything to do with them.

JG has been disengaged from the way he needs to play for way over a year now. He gives the puck up far to often trying to be cute with it instead of just making a simple short pass or a chip by a defender...and all of a sudden everyone is heading back into the d zone again.

SM still defers to him and it shows in his offensive production. He has definitely improved his 200' game but again when he relies on others to dictate what they are doing offensively, the whole line (whoever is on the right) suffers. That is his biggest weakness that holds him back from getting to a clear cut #1 C type of player.

I would suggest that JG getting traded sooner rather than later will have a two-fold effect. It will force SM too be his own creator and whomever comes in hopefully fills the glaring hole of zero top 6 R?W's on this team.

I would hope that the coaching staff has at least sat down with these two and gone over video of what they were doing when things were clicking versus whats happening now....and i assume they have...yet nothing has changed apparently so now its clear that personnel changes are next.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #25
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know confidence is very low when 90% of posters would say they would prefer 90% of posters as head coach of this team.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #26
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did Leivo play last night? Didn't notice him at all.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames coaching. If there’s one thing that you can point to at the end of the season, it will be this (again).
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #28
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think putting Bennett on the fourth line is laughable after his most recent playoff performance. Let the guy establish a role on the team, not sure having him on the fourth line is the best place to do that. Put him on Backlund's wing and run with it for a while.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #29
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Flames coaching. If there’s one thing that you can point to at the end of the season, it will be this (again).
Who starts 4th line on the road?
Old 01-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
You know confidence is very low when 90% of posters would say they would prefer 90% of posters as head coach of this team.
Are you sure “confidence” is the right word?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nordstrom and Lucic with Bennett is setting Bennett up to fail. Just take Nordstrom out and put Simon on Bennett's wing at least. Give him someone with a modicum of offence.

Or put Ryan back at 4th line centre, put Simon on Ryan's wing and move Bennett to Backlund's line.

Its so, so stupid to keep Bennett with Nordstrom and Lucic.

Last edited by Nelson; 01-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #32
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Strange that Monahan continues to be the organization's golden boy without seemingly any accountability for his occasional poor play.

Before y'all come at me: I like Monahan, but I wonder a lot about his utilization.

When Johnny got demoted to the 3rd line last year, he wasn't playing well. Why isn't the same applicable to Monahan? He's consistently getting 1st and 2nd line minutes but can go long stretches being completely invisible. Is it because the coaching staff feels we have no other options?

I would try him on the wing as many have suggested before. His strengths are his shot and getting open to release said shot. He's got decent speed (contrary to what a lot of posters say) when he's moving his legs. He isn't great at checking opposing players and even though his passing is pretty decent, I don't see him utilizing it much. Sounds like a good recipe for a winger vs center to me.

Sample size? His entire career so far.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #33
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Who starts 4th line on the road?
It made sense in that the Jets had been talking retribution for the Tkachuk hit.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #34
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that it is a shortened season but do we really need to blender the lines after the first game with zero preseason games? I am fine with keeping the same roster as opening night. It should be a short leash once we are a few more games into the season but it was clear last night there were lots of players still finding their legs.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #35
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I'm 90% sure you made that up.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #36
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I want to see the Flames ensure 5 of their true top 6 forwards are in the top 6

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Simon

Backlund being the only top 6 forward pushed to the bottom 6. 4th line is a 4th line but I like that top 9 more than what was on the ice last night
Agree with you

Somehow Leivo became a top-6 player?? Is he better than Czarnik? Hard enough getting Monahan and Gaudreau out of their year long slump without them breaking in a borderline NHLer on their line.

If he was top-6 then Vancouver would have kept him at the near league min contract.. He does not have the grit to play on the hard checking Backlund-Bennett line nor the skill to play with Monahan/Gaudreau.

The Flames need to put out top-2 lines that are better than the other teams top-2 line and can not be checked into nothingness by the other teams 3rd line as happened last night after the 1st period when the Lowry line played the Lindholm line to standstill.

In the 2018-19 Flames Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm line was the best line on the ice 80% of the games.

Last night the Jets had the top 2 lines... They had their 6 best forwards on the 2 lines. Most teams will have their best 6 forwards on their top 2 lines and not have grinders.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #37
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It made sense in that the Jets had been talking retribution for the Tkachuk hit.
A team playing that is playing one of the last of the legit heavy weight goons is worried about Winnipeg (or any other team) going after retribution???
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #38
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to today's practice, yesterday's game was exactly what Ward wants to play this team. Anyway I wish our coach can explore and can use his players according their strength and chemistry. Not force them what he wants them to play. It's OK to experiment at the beginning of the season and find chemistry. Hopefully he can found it soon.
Now other teams found out how to play against #13 and #23. Against them nobody plays to steal the puck, just play close and body check, hit, push, slash, and they are ineffective. So in my opinion Johnny and Monahan need somebody who can create space for them or somebody fast who can play give and go rushing game.
So I would try Tkachuk or Bennett for creating space or Simon, Dube even Ryan/Mangi for real fast 1-two-pass skate and shoot play.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #39
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Leivo looked afraid to make a mistake out there which is understandable on a new team, would rather him be sheltered in the bottom six until he gets more comfortable.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #40
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I want to see the Flames ensure 5 of their true top 6 forwards are in the top 6

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Simon

Backlund being the only top 6 forward pushed to the bottom 6. 4th line is a 4th line but I like that top 9 more than what was on the ice last night
I like mangipane moving up over Bennett. Brings more skill to that line. Bennett played well with backlund and imo they would play well together. Bennett gets to the net but he has no vision. Last night he went wide beat the d then drove the net which was great but then he try to shovel the puck through Hellbyuck. Mangipane was wide open right in front of net for a second and he missed it. He also does because he's head down drive the net type. Him and backlund are great at creating lots of chances just not finishing them. They would be tough to play against and whatever offense they add is a plus

Mangipane johnny and Monahan could be great. I have very high hopes for Tkachuk lindholm and dube. A second first line would be the way to go
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote