Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #421
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

always great to see the Ravens fail, but watching the Bills succeed makes me even more happy ... easy team to root for. Doubt they can upset KC next week, but fingers crossed.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #422
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Was it their o-line being good or Rams just not doing what they did vs Seattle?

I love watching offensive lines at work, especially the good ones, and fundamentally the Green Bay Oline is very good, Their pass protection is excellent, their run blocking zone scheme is very smart and their physical tools and fundamentals are excellent. There's a reason beyond Rogers and their skill guys why that offense is so good, and it starts on the line.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #423
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ravens have a big year next year. I mean there's no doubt they're picking up Lamar's fifth year option, but before you commit to give him stupid QB money you might want to make sure he can actually QB. Even if being a pass heavy team next year means you go 5-11 you need to see if Lamar can be a true QB. You can demolish a good chunk of teams running for 200+ yards a game, but as we've seen in the playoff losses when you can put the Ravens in tight scoreline/timeline situations where running it is the least efficient option then they are in trouble. They didn't even need that much from their offense last night and they couldn't get it done.

Now some of that is the organization failing Lamar by giving him a poor receiving core. Whether thru the draft or FA they need to give him a decent #1 option. But they also need to try and play more pass heavy so we can see if Lamar has the ability to play QB exclusively. The scariest thing right now about committing long term big money to Lamar is he is an ACL away from losing the edge he has running, and when teams don't have to fear that anymore then Lamar is pretty much done if he can't be a true QB.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #424
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I love watching offensive lines at work, especially the good ones, and fundamentally the Green Bay Oline is very good, Their pass protection is excellent, their run blocking zone scheme is very smart and their physical tools and fundamentals are excellent. There's a reason beyond Rogers and their skill guys why that offense is so good, and it starts on the line.
And they did it with out their very best member and highest paid O-lineman in NFL history. Pretty remarkable to be honest.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #425
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ravens have a big year next year. I mean there's no doubt they're picking up Lamar's fifth year option, but before you commit to give him stupid QB money you might want to make sure he can actually QB. Even if being a pass heavy team next year means you go 5-11 you need to see if Lamar can be a true QB. You can demolish a good chunk of teams running for 200+ yards a game, but as we've seen in the playoff losses when you can put the Ravens in tight scoreline/timeline situations where running it is the least efficient option then they are in trouble. They didn't even need that much from their offense last night and they couldn't get it done.

Now some of that is the organization failing Lamar by giving him a poor receiving core. Whether thru the draft or FA they need to give him a decent #1 option. But they also need to try and play more pass heavy so we can see if Lamar has the ability to play QB exclusively. The scariest thing right now about committing long term big money to Lamar is he is an ACL away from losing the edge he has running, and when teams don't have to fear that anymore then Lamar is pretty much done if he can't be a true QB.
I don't know if Lamar can win 3 playoff games, when at some point you have to make some big throws.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #426
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I saw some stat where Roger's was pressured on 16.5% of his drop backs all season. Mahomes had two games where that number was under 20.

So when you can support Aaron Rogers with a run game and that type of pass protection that offence is lethal.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #427
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Well, you saw it with Josh Allen right? His receivers in his first season were castoffs, last year John Brown and Beasley came in and this year Stefon Diggs. That's what Lamar needs.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #428
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but there were never any questions about Josh Allen's arm, mostly his accuracy and decision making. With Lamar there are still serious questions about whether he can make the tight window throws necessary to win. He definitely needs a real #1 receiver, but he also needs to throw more than just PA throws to open crossers, we need to see him drop back and consistently make defenses pay. The Bills showed no respect last night and had a safety at the line all night. You gotta make a defense pay for showing so little respect to the passing game.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #429
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't know if Lamar can win 3 playoff games, when at some point you have to make some big throws.
Yeah it's an interesting predicament. He's good enough to get you to the playoffs every year which really is half the battle but in the playoffs he faces defenses that can scheme to make him have to throw the ball a lot and that's when things fall apart for their offense as he relies on play action even more than Tannehill. He's too good to part with but if he doesn't improve as a drop back passer it's going to be difficult to ever have a lot of playoff success.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #430
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Taysom Hill and Latavius Murray are both doubtful for this one.

I know Taysom takes some heat (by myself as well, when he was the starting QB), but he's still a big part of that offence.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #431
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Sounds like Taysom Hill and Latavius Murray are both doubtful for this one.

I know Taysom takes some heat (by myself as well, when he was the starting QB), but he's still a big part of that offence.
It hurts their short yardage and red zone offense for sure to have Hill out. Even Murray has his moments in games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #432
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I saw some stat where Roger's was pressured on 16.5% of his drop backs all season. Mahomes had two games where that number was under 20.

So when you can support Aaron Rogers with a run game and that type of pass protection that offence is lethal.

In my time coaching (and again I prefice it with I'm not a NFL or CFL or College Coach), if I have a good offensive line, I can get away with ordinary receivers and running backs and a game managing QB that doesn't have to win games on its own, and I can make nearly every scheme work. A good O line will get a running back to second level and give a QB time and a pocket and strong passing seams.

If I have a bad offensive line, I'd better have a lights out running back and a strong mobile QB and that's no guarantee.

A couple of years ago I had a poor offensive line, and the only way to get my offense going was to go to a heavy two tight end set and basically try to grind my way down field and depend on a three step and gone QB scheme.

Give me a strong Oline every time and I'm winning a lot of games.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #433
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cleveland, Believeland!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #434
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not a great idea letting KC have the ball first.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #435
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That was a little too easy.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #436
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That sack was big for KC.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #437
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not a great idea letting KC have the ball first.
Letting them potentially have two straight possessions to end the first half and start the second is potentially worse. Last year the Chiefs went for 3 and 4 point deficits to a double digit lead doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #438
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Mahones just shreddin.....way to easy.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #439
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A TD for the Browns on this drive and they get it to start the second half to take the lead. With Mahomes hurt there's a chance here even with how one sided it feels.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #440
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Thats as Brownsie a thing as that could happen

Tags
nfc stinks , scorigamiszn