Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #401
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Just incredulity.

Arrogance, ignorance or pure parroting. The only ways I can think of that you could make a blanket statement like that.
Over Joe Rogan's podcast. Guess we know who here is a Rogan-ite!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #402
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never subjected myself to his podcast when he has weirdos on, but I have watched when he has people I like on and found him to be a good host. I don't think he is profound or someone I would rely on for information, but I respect that he lets people talk freely with little judgement.

I also like that he asks questions that ordinary people would ask. I find that a lot of hosts when interviewing people a lot smarter than them, they don't ask the dumb questions that ordinary people are thinking, but he just goes for it.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #403
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
That's positive, but wouldn't it be even better if he put in more effort to understand the issues more before communicating with his audience of millions? It's better to get it right in the first place. Also, he often provides a huge platform to bad faith actors and conspiracy theorists. How many times has he had Alex Jones on his show? He's interviewed Gavin McInnis (founder of the Proud Boys), Steven Crowder and others who espouse dangerous and irresponsible rhetoric similar to that which influenced the DC riots. I've heard him call both of McInnis and Crowder 'comedians' and laugh off their extreme and often violent positions. It's irresponsible for someone with such a large voice.
Very true. He also cherry picks his accountability because he’s a comedian. Your right it’s a slippery slope of reckless platforming.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #404
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what the problem is with that? John Stewart was all about that. Feigning intelligence but when he got called on anything he would make it clear he was just a clown on a comedy network. Colbert does the same thing.

The fact that millions of people use these comedians as their primary source of information is not the fault of the comedians.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #405
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Get over it. No one cares how much you hate Joe Rogan. Go start a Joe rogan hate thread if you feel the need to obsess over it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #406
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the impeachment goes through, I am going to miss Trump's rage tweeting. It kind of sucks not knowing just how much this is bothering him.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #407
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

And he’s impeached.

Again.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #408
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If the impeachment goes through, I am going to miss Trump's rage tweeting. It kind of sucks not knowing just how much this is bothering him.

would he lose it more over being impeached or that 10 republicans (so far) have broken ranks and voted with the democrats??
Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #409
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Get over it. No one cares how much you hate Joe Rogan. Go start a Joe rogan hate thread if you feel the need to obsess over it.
Never!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #410
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did Tulsi tweet in a 'present'? /s
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #411
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are getting your information from a Joe Rogan podcast about literally anything that isn't weed culture or the UFC, you aren't doing much critical thinking.
What if one wanted to listen to Bernie Sanders speak for over an hour, without any breaks/commercials to understand his policies deeper?

Rogan often misspeaks and claims things which aren't true, but as mentioned by someone else, he corrects them often within minutes after doing a fact check which he asks for. A ton of his podcast episodes see him silently listening for the majority of that episode while someone much more knowledgeable than him speaks.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #412
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Not sure what the problem is with that? John Stewart was all about that. Feigning intelligence but when he got called on anything he would make it clear he was just a clown on a comedy network. Colbert does the same thing.

The fact that millions of people use these comedians as their primary source of information is not the fault of the comedians.
If you can’t see the difference between giving loons like Alex Jones a platform and not, I don’t know what else to say to you.

Rogan’s value is that he’s a conduit to a conversation between right & left. He does this better than Stewart did, but at times he’s also worse.

The benefit is that he’s getting better at interviewing and learning from his mistakes.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #413
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Says the guy who posts like everybody cares about his hyper-critical opinions on everything.

No offense, but you're posts are pretty groan-inducing lately. And they're everywhere.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #414
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Over insulting someone’s intelligence and/or character with such transparent prejudice.

In a discussion surrounding media and its consumption, I think it’s important to recognize when implicit bias is not only evident, but used to denigrate.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #415
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Says the guy who posts like everybody cares about his hyper-critical opinions on everything.

No offense, but you're posts are pretty groan-inducing lately. And they're everywhere.
Cool.

On the other hand, I have no opinion about your posts because I have no idea who you are and, frankly, I don’t care.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #416
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Shots fired.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #417
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cool.

On the other hand, I have no opinion about your posts because I have no idea who you are and, frankly, I don’t care.
The "Don Draper" Response!!!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Mull; 01-14-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #418
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if this is a good place to post this, but I don’t have confidence like Fuzz to start my own threads.

Why is everyone I know talking about leaving WhatsApp for Signal? What is actually changing? I’m having a hard time understanding what’s actually happening here but sounds like some kind of privacy overstep?

I thought this might fit in this thread as it’s about big tech(FB).
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #419
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Basically WhatsApp updated their privacy policy and it is extremely invasive. They have rights to all your data including your conversation history and will sell this data to advertisers to inundate you with targeted ads across all FB owned platforms, including FB and Insta.

That’s an oversimplified version.

I can’t for the life of me understand how people are ok with companies like FB, Amazon and tiktok getting NSA level access to their lives. It’s crazy. Might as well get tracking devices installed with a 24/7 recording device straight into your brain.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #420
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Basically WhatsApp updated their privacy policy and it is extremely invasive. They have rights to all your data including your conversation history and will sell this data to advertisers to inundate you with targeted ads across all FB owned platforms, including FB and Insta.

That’s an oversimplified version.

I can’t for the life of me understand how people are ok with companies like FB, Amazon and tiktok getting NSA level access to their lives. It’s crazy. Might as well get tracking devices installed with a 24/7 recording device straight into your brain.
Doesn’t this already happen though? I get ads for things that I’ve searched all the time across platforms and apps. I’m kind of torn...for ads, just target me and show me ads that I’m interested in. Odds are if I looked it up, I’m somewhat interested, so an ad isn’t a big deal.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote