Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #5881
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spezza on waivers apparently. It's a crappy thing to do, but the right thing once they signed Thornton. There's no room for two slower guys on that type of roster. Still kinda sucks for Spezza considering he signed for much less money to play in Toronto.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #5882
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Is this a joke?

Bennett = 3/4 line player
Mangiapane = Top 9 forward
Valimaki = Blue Chip prospect

For

Dubois = #1 Centre

Jackets would laugh at that.
I think there’s a deal to be made for Dubois with Valimaki as the centrepiece. In fact I bet the ask from Columbus is Valimaki and Monahan and Mony is the secondary target for Jarmo.

I think Tre is probably countering with Valimaki, Bennett and Ryan (for cap space).

Look at it from a Columbus perspective: a top 3 defense of Werenski; Jones and Valimaki. Wow.

For the Flames, Valimaki might be expendable with Hanifin, Mackay, Kylington and Kuznetsov and Poirier in the pipeline.

Last edited by 868904; 01-17-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #5883
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Ottawa should claim him.
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #5884
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Ottawa should claim him.

It'd be a good story to end his career there. Problem is Ottawa has their own Spezza's, with Watson and Stepan. I'm not sure there's room for him, but it'd be a nice story. Plus I think Ottawa would respect him enough that they'd want him to go to a contender. I could see NJ or the Isles putting a claim.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #5885
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to think Treliving is working a trade centred around Monahan.

You can just hear Tre’s wheels spinning on this. A hockey trade that allows them to get younger and have a “marquee position” under team control for longer. Strong playoff performer. It’s probably what the additional ask is - probably a Dube, Pelletier, Mangiapane being asked about. Would rather add a Bennett, Kylington, and/or picks but not enough to persuade Columbus yet.

Monahan’s has a good start tot he season showing better 200ft play, so maybe stock is rising in their scouting staff’s minds.

Last edited by Bunk; 01-17-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #5886
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

You can just hear Tre’s wheels spinning on this. A hockey trade that allows them to get younger and have a “marquee position” under team control for longer. Strong playoff performer. It’s probably what the additional ask is - probably a Dube, Pelletier, Mangiapane being asked about. Would rather add a Bennett, Kylington, and/or picks but not enough to persuade Columbus yet.

Monahan’s has a good start tot he season showing better 200ft play, so maybe stock is rising in their scouting staff’s minds.
If we can acquire him without dealing mony its even better.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #5887
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Spezza on waivers apparently. It's a crappy thing to do, but the right thing once they signed Thornton. There's no room for two slower guys on that type of roster. Still kinda sucks for Spezza considering he signed for much less money to play in Toronto.
Toronto right up against cap. They had an injury last night with a regular forward. Their problem is the injured player only makes $800,000. Not a lot of options to replace that player at the same cap hit. Probably had to waive someone to get more cap savings for replacement player
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #5888
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Toronto right up against cap. They had an injury last night with a regular forward. Their problem is the injured player only makes $800,000. Not a lot of options to replace that player at the same cap hit. Probably had to waive someone to get more cap savings for replacement player
Well that’s what they get for carrying 3 goalies.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #5889
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

If anything, Treliving has always been in on anyone who the media buzzes around. Zucker, Hamonic, Fleury, Stone. Some are worth their hype (the later two, and some just the media frenzy. Dubois I'm not sure about personally. He's showed excellent flashes, but consistency is so important in your top tier players - else they're bottom line players. The jury is completely out on him, as he does have consistency issues. I'm not opposed to dealing Monahan, because he doesn't have top end skill (in my view), but he is consistent, and to give that up is a gamble.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #5890
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
If anything, Treliving has always been in on anyone who the media buzzes around. Zucker, Hamonic, Fleury, Stone. Some are worth their hype (the later two, and some just the media frenzy. Dubois I'm not sure about personally. He's showed excellent flashes, but consistency is so important in your top tier players - else they're bottom line players. The jury is completely out on him, as he does have consistency issues. I'm not opposed to dealing Monahan, because he doesn't have top end skill (in my view), but he is consistent, and to give that up is a gamble.
I don't think the jury is "completely out" on Dubios at all. At worst, he tops out as an excellent second-line two-way centre, but very likely looks to significantly surpass that. Of course he has "consistency issues"; he is all of 22-years-old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #5891
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Well that’s what they get for carrying 3 goalies.
They waived Dell also. My guess is he is Edmonton bound. Poor guy
Old 01-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #5892
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While Monahan has more value as a player than Suzuki undoubtedly, the team control factor is critical for CBJ. All of their key FAs have walked the last few years, and with only 2 years of additional control with Monahan, I actually think the potential Suzuki package from Montreal would skew it in their favor for the simple fact of team control. They've been burned too many times.

Relevant current player that can contribute now, is under long term team control, and has big futures potential is what they've got to be gunning for.

For me, candidates on the Flames for this package include Valimaki/Hanifin + Mangiapane/Dube. Throw in a pick and I think that's as competitive a package as the Flames could offer.
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #5893
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
While Monahan has more value as a player than Suzuki undoubtedly, the team control factor is critical for CBJ. All of their key FAs have walked the last few years, and with only 2 years of additional control with Monahan, I actually think the potential Suzuki package from Montreal would skew it in their favor for the simple fact of team control. They've been burned too many times.

Relevant current player that can contribute now, is under long term team control, and has big futures potential is what they've got to be gunning for.

For me, candidates on the Flames for this package include Valimaki/Hanifin + Mangiapane/Dube. Throw in a pick and I think that's as competitive a package as the Flames could offer.
I just can’t picture Columbus trading their #1 center and not getting at least a top 6 center back.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #5894
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spezza's agent has said he (Spezza)will retire if claimed.
Maurice has said that Laine "didn't warm up right"? in their practice before the road trip, which sounds ominius.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #5895
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't think the jury is "completely out" on Dubios at all. At worst, he tops out as an excellent second-line two-way centre, but very likely looks to significantly surpass that. Of course he has "consistency issues"; he is all of 22-years-old.

Agreed on his bottom, but I disagree with the giving a free pass to him because he's 22. This is his fourth season. At what point do you say his challenges are what he actually is? I think that's very debatable. 0.58, 0.74, 0.70 ppg in the past three seasons. Monahan really broke out in season 6, but I think that was an anomaly. I'm intrigued by his skill and size combination more than anything, but it's still a risk.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #5896
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Jackets would laugh?! I think the Flames would balk at that sort of ask. Mangiapane already looks like a bonafide top-six winger with more upside, and Valimaki looks like he could be an elite defenseman. This is a terrible deal.
Valimaki could be an elite defenseman. Or he may end up not panning out. He has potential but it hasn't been realized yet and may never will. The dude has played like 2 NHL games over the past 2 seasons so let's temper expectations.

Mangiapane could turn out to be a 20 goal scorer but I doubt he will ever become elite.

You make it sound like Dubois has no value. People on this forum need to realize you need to provide value to be able to acquire a top line centre.

No one wants our dumpster pieces like Bennett and Ryam in return for their 22 year old elite forwards.

Last edited by keenan87; 01-17-2021 at 12:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #5897
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Spezza's agent has said he (Spezza)will retire if claimed.
Maurice has said that Laine "didn't warm up right"? in their practice before the road trip, which sounds ominius.
That's a helluva threat. As a 35+ contract, doesn't that mean any team who claimed him would automatically be on the hook for his cap hit despite no games played?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #5898
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me there's no chance Columbus takes a package of players unless they rip off the other team. THey've lost star after star and they'd need to replace another potential star with someone of equal value. Flames have to give up value and if Montreal is starting with Suzuki, Monahan would be the guy to start off. Valamaki isn't #2 potential, Mangiapane is only second line upside, Bennett is middle of the roster grinder. Little chance that they're looking for depth under the circumstances where another team will deal higher potential.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #5899
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
That's a helluva threat. As a 35+ contract, doesn't that mean any team who claimed him would automatically be on the hook for his cap hit despite no games played?

Spezza's probably upset at the situation (and rightly so considering the goodwill gesture).
Old 01-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #5900
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Valimaki could be an elite defenseman. Or he may end up not panning out. He has potential but it hasn't been realized yet and may never will.

Mangiapane could turn out to be a 20 goal scorer but I doubt he will ever become elite.
Could we not say the same for Dubois? He sure looks like he could turn into an elite-level top-line centre, but there is still no guarantee there. Yes, he is definitely further ahead than Valimaki, but that also means that Valimaki has more room to grow into his potential at this point.

And Mangiapane is already a 20-goal scorer—he was on pace for 21 when the season was frozen, and he looks even better now.

Quote:
You make it sound like Dubois has no value. People on this forum need to realize you need to provide value to be able to acquire a top line centre.

No one wants our dumpster pieces like Bennett and Ryam in return for their 22 year old elite forwards.
If this is what you think then you have not been paying any attention at all. I have never suggested anything around Ryan or Bennett, and have long been advocating for a deal around Monahan + for Dubios, but also with some caveats: I think there are a few untouchable players on this team: Tkachuk, Lindholm, Andersson and Valimaki. I also think that a deal constructed around Monahan + Mangiapane/Dube is also probably too rich, and with how the season started I am even more convinced of this.

I am most certainly aware that Dubois has a tonne of value, but I am equally tuned to the fact that he is not invaluable. Moreover, I think several of the Flames players who have been tossed around in trade scenarios are likely a lot more valuable than you are insinuating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-17-2021 at 12:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread