Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #14301
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Funny the fan960 guys where acting like Tkachuk, 12th overall, 2nd, and a 3rd wouldn't even be close

Not saying the Flames will get him but those guys are out to lunch on the value of Eichel
They are out to lunch on every trade evaluation. They are anti-homers that think Flame players have no value.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #14302
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They are out to lunch on every trade evaluation. They are anti-homers that think Flame players have no value.
This is right in line with most flames fans though.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #14303
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Generally speaking, when high profile players are traded there's always a build up of what it will cost, and then when the deal breaks it's all of a sudden a great deal for the team acquiring said player because it's well below the absolute fantastical trades people have built up in their heads.

Remember the Dougie Hamilton trade? It HAD to include one of Bennett or Gaudreau +++. Then it breaks and it's instantly an "OMG WHAT A DEAL" (...although that was in fact a great deal).

The trades like the package Quebec got for Lindros just don't happen.

Look at what Seguin returned. Look at what Thornton returned.

Hell, look at Mark Stone - a player I'd say is on par with Eichel, and with an extension Stone returned a mid-round 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a guy who played a total of 20 more NHL games after the trade. Sure, Eichel will return more because of age - but we aren't talking about a Lindros trade here.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-24-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #14304
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guys at Fan 960 seem to be overly skeptical toward the prospect of any major moves.

Is it because they think no one has any value, or is it because they think Treliving has faith in the core?
Old 06-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #14305
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes obviously, which shouldn't be a problem.

It is just better asset management to include Hanifin than Valimaki, if you are including a Dman.
Also for Salary balancing too
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #14306
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The guys at Fan 960 seem to be overly skeptical toward the prospect of any major moves.

Is it because they think no one has any value, or is it because they think Treliving has faith in the core?
When the emotions die down, and you look at the coaching staff changes...I don't think it's absolutely crazy to think the team will come back pretty similar next year, with perhaps some more money spent in free agency (Hall, Saad, defenceman to replace Giordano if taken by Seattle).

Remember, all you have to do is eek your way in.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #14307
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m increasingly against trading Hanifin this off season because if he takes one more step forward he’s going to be worth a boat load on his own with that contract.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #14308
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's because none of them really know what's going on inside Flames headquarters at the present time. The Flames don't have a local insider.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #14309
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's because none of them really know what's going on inside Flames headquarters at the present time. The Flames don't have a local insider.
Yeah, Boomer is okay for finding things out immediately before they happen, or about things just as they fall apart (Zucker) - but no actual rumours or rumblings.

Steinberg seemed to have some information on the Flames being aggressive on Markstrom well before free agency began - which is about the most "insider" thing we've heard surrounding the team other than when Friedman/Lebrun had the Flames in on Hall before he went to Arizona, and when Warrener dropped a Sutter hint a few days before that happened (Warrener has since claimed it was not inside information, but just speculation...)

Our lack of insiders is likely related to what Conroy mentioned on that podcast from a few weeks ago where he mentioned that from a trade perspective, that's all Tree and no one else is really involved in those talks.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #14310
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, Boomer is okay for finding things out immediately before they happen, or about things just as they fall apart (Zucker) - but no actual rumours or rumblings.

Steinberg seemed to have some information on the Flames being aggressive on Markstrom well before free agency began - which is about the most "insider" thing we've heard surrounding the team other than when Friedman/Lebrun had the Flames in on Hall before he went to Arizona, and when Warrener dropped a Sutter hint a few days before that happened (Warrener has since claimed it was not inside information, but just speculation...)

Our lack of insiders is likely related to what Conroy mentioned on that podcast from a few weeks ago where he mentioned that from a trade perspective, that's all Tree and no one else is really involved in those talks.
Steinberg was also pretty adamant on Mike Smith before he was acquired. It seems like he might have had some inside info there.

Now he's consistently claiming that Gaudreau is likely to re-sign. He mentions this on nearly every overtime show.
I think there's definitely something there.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #14311
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Steinberg was also pretty adamant on Mike Smith before he was acquired. It seems like he might have had some inside info there.

Now he's consistently claiming that Gaudreau is likely to re-sign. He mentions this on nearly every overtime show.
I haven't been listening very much lately, but this makes me very happy. When we pluck a superstar in the 4th round, and he loves it in Calgary and wants to spend his whole career here - you make it happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #14312
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

6x9 sign me up .
Old 06-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #14313
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, literally no Flames player has any value at all.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #14314
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Too much. He’s not a $9m player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
6x9 sign me up .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #14315
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure about major, however listening to Treliving press conference at the end of the year He said, changes are required

I can not imagine any way they go with the same core.

At best, they are a team if they have a good season they should make the playoffs but they are not contenders in my view.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #14316
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
I would hope the Flames don't offer any thing close to that number.
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #14317
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hell, look at Mark Stone - a player I'd say is on par with Eichel, and with an extension Stone returned a mid-round 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a guy who played a total of 20 more NHL games after the trade.
Ottawa did not get full value of a signed Stone, because he would only sign with Vegas. From Ottawa's perspective, they were trading a UFA to be.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #14318
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You just know that when training camp hits and the core is still in tact, the question will be asked why, and Tre will point to the Habs making the finals as an indication of how close the Flames are and whole sale changes were not required, only minor tweaks and a whole year under Darryl and the continued progression of the young players.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #14319
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
No, clearly he meant 6 mill 9 years
Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #14320
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
You just know that when training camp hits and the core is still in tact, the question will be asked why, and Tre will point to the Habs making the finals as an indication of how close the Flames are and whole sale changes were not required, only minor tweaks and a whole year under Darryl and the continued progression of the young players.
Ugh. This is my biggest fear and why I want Treliving fired.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread