Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #1501
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
dat Brossoit

Shutout and first star. Oil Kings move on to the WHL Finals against Wotherspoon and the Winterhawks.
Guarantees two Flames prospects in Memorial Cup. I'd like to see Brossoit get some redemption from last year. Also though, there is not a Flames D prospect I am more excited about than Wotherspoon. I don't know what to think of Ferland and his overage free walk to the Mem Cup season after not cutting it as a pro. And then there's the whole pending aggravated assault charges thing... He will need to show something in a big way.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #1502
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
5 goalies and only 4 spots, unless they decide to run with a "three headed goalie monster" on one of the rosters.
Think I'd rather have one of them start off as a starter in the ECHL then spend long stretches doing nothing in the AHL. Rather have the young guys playing then sitting.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #1503
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

or we could send Brossoit to Finland, it's seemed to work for Ortio. They must have some good goalie coaches over there seeing how they produce a lot of top goalies.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #1504
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
or we could send Brossoit to Finland, it's seemed to work for Ortio. They must have some good goalie coaches over there seeing how they produce a lot of top goalies.
They used to anyways. Only 6 Finnish goaltenders played more than 1 game in the NHL this season. Only 1 (Rask) will be under 30 when the calendar year expires.

Also we don't know if anything has actually worked for Ortio other that he has been great in Finland. Until he crosses the pond and does something of note here he hasn't accomplished anything that matters to me. Same goes for Karri Ramo. Call me a cynic, but we see so many "great" European goaltenders come across and fail that I don't get too excited for them.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #1505
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
They used to anyways. Only 6 Finnish goaltenders played more than 1 game in the NHL this season. Only 1 (Rask) will be under 30 when the calendar year expires.
[...]
"Only" 6 Finnish goalies, but they're all starters: Rask, Rinne, Niemi, Lehtonen, Bäckström, Kiprusoff. That's wildly disproportionate for a small country so I wouldn't expect it to continue given that there are only 30 spots in the league, but that doesn't mean that the coaching that produced those players no longer produces the same talent.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1506
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
"Only" 6 Finnish goalies, but they're all starters: Rask, Rinne, Niemi, Lehtonen, Bäckström, Kiprusoff. That's wildly disproportionate for a small country so I wouldn't expect it to continue given that there are only 30 spots in the league, but that doesn't mean that the coaching that produced those players no longer produces the same talent.
I would say because it was so disproportionate that it is very likely they won't produce talent to the same degree in the future.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1507
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I would say because it was so disproportionate that it is very likely they won't produce talent to the same degree in the future.
My point is that it's not the talent, it's the level of competition that makes it unlikely. Finland produces many more great young goalies than they did when the 30-year-old goalies now playing the NHL were teenagers. The level of overall talent has never been better. However, other countries, bigger countries continue to produce goalies as well.

You seem to think that there should be a steady stream of Finnish goaltenders into the league. That's completely unrealistic because there are only so many spots. We won't know what the next generation of NHL goalies looks like until we get there. If you're just taking the NHL perspective, young goalies go off the radar for years and then they suddenly arrive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #1508
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

word out of Switzerland is that not Berra, but oldie Martin Gerber will begin as the starter at the WC vs Sweden. Their coach feels that the team needs a veteran in net because they already have so many young, experienced players.

http://www.basellandschaftlichezeitu...-tor-126504368
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #1509
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

With regard to Ortio and the possibility of him playing in the AHL next year, HIFK has signed two goalies for next season already, the latest one being this year's league MVP Antti Raanta who also happens to be Ortio's partner in the world championships.

So I haven't heard anything about Ortio's plans, but HIFK seem to be planning for a future without him. One important thing is that Raanta could still sign with a KHL or NHL team. It's entirely possible - maybe even probable - that he'll never play a single game for HIFK.

It kind of feels like there's a news item about Ortio's next season that I've totally missed or something. I guess we'll see eventually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #1510
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With regard to Ortio and the possibility of him playing in the AHL next year, HIFK has signed two goalies for next season already, the latest one being this year's league MVP Antti Raanta who also happens to be Ortio's partner in the world championships.

So I haven't heard anything about Ortio's plans, but HIFK seem to be planning for a future without him. One important thing is that Raanta could still sign with a KHL or NHL team. It's entirely possible - maybe even probable - that he'll never play a single game for HIFK.

It kind of feels like there's a news item about Ortio's next season that I've totally missed or something. I guess we'll see eventually.
Antii Raanta is only 24 this month. Some NHL team should sign him with his great stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112590
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1511
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

That might be initially disappointing, but starters for a team like Switzerland don't matter so much in this type of tournament. He will lose a game, remind everyone he is Martin Gerber, and Berra will get a crack.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #1512
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Antii Raanta is only 24 this month. Some NHL team should sign him with his great stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112590
Yeah those are Tim Thomas like numbers and it continued in the playoffs. Either way, since they're signing goalies left and right, I wonder if Ortio already told HIFK that he'll go to NA next season. Seems odd that he isn't getting mentioned anywhere.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #1513
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortio is confirmed to start against Germany today in Finland's first game in the tournament.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #1514
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finland beats Germany 4-3 in OT. Classic first game of a tournament with some struggles.

First goal was the team leaving a forward alone in front of Ortio. The defenseman charged towards the guy with the puck and Hagman couldn't get in front of the net fast enough to cover for him. Really embarrassing and you have to feel bad for the goalie.

Second goal was a hard Ehrhoff blast straight from the faceoff on the PP.

The third goal Ortio should have had, however, even though he was screened and the puck seemed to change direction slightly. Fair or not, that's not a goal the coaching staff will have much tolerance for in a tournament setting.

Ortio misread the play a couple of times. Granted, these are tough games because there aren't many shots, and he wasn't bad, but I think the ball might be in Raanta's court to take the number one spot in the next game. I could be wrong of course - it was really just one goal that he should have had - but a lot of it is which goalie you feel more confident with, even if it's not an entirely fair situation.

Anyway, first big tournament game for Ortio. Probably a little nervous but a win nevertheless. The entire team was probably a little nervous.

OT - if you thought Hagman was bad when he was with the Flames, he's even worse now. I think when he turned 30, he just plain forgot how to skate. It's like the ice is sliding to the opposite direction when you watch him trying to pick up speed. The feet are going but he's behind the play just like with the Flames. Based on this game, he shouldn't be in this tournament.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #1515
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a ton Henry Fool. Keep those updates coming. Really appreciate it.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #1516
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Broissot wins round one of the WHL final backstopping the Oil Kings to a 4-1 win and stopping 35 of 36 shots while doing it.

Tyler Wotherspoon finishes the night at -3.

Game 2 Saturday night.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #1517
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with everything Henry Fool was saying. I thought Ortio was decent overall, though there was a moment when they were still ahead 1-0 and Ortio did his best Quick-impression behind the net, losing the puck to a forward (who didn't capitalize though).

Was shocked to see that Finland nearly has a full roster of SM-liiga players. Only one NHL player (Korpikoski), I think.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #1518
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would Barkov have been on the Finnish team had he not injured his shoulder?
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1519
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Would Barkov have been on the Finnish team had he not injured his shoulder?
I doubt it but he could have maybe played a few pre-tournament games had his SM-Liiga team not been in the finals at the same time. I think Ristolainen was with the men's team at some point but I could remember wrong. In any case his main event would have been the U18's.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #1520
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt it but he could have maybe played a few pre-tournament games had his SM-Liiga team not been in the finals at the same time. I think Ristolainen was with the men's team at some point but I could remember wrong. In any case his main event would have been the U18's.
I think he would have been in, but since we're all guessing who knows.

As to goalies, Raanta shut out Slovakia and looked much better than Ortio, so the #1 spot is very much his to lose now.

I'll be a little surprised if Raanta plays more than a season here in Finland, and if he puts up a couple more performances like that, KHL might come calling as soon as next season.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 , 2013 , heat , prospects , statistics