Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #15101
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I've always thought of Eichel as having a huge ego, I do tend to think what you're saying has validity. I'd trade for him if the cost was low (Monahan + 1st), but there won't be a low cost because someone will pay more. I just don't want to be the team overpaying. We do have a guy who tends to become overzealous when it comes to flavour of the month names, and that worries me. Ultimately I don't think he's a fit for the Flames with the assets that will be required to get him.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #15102
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprise no talk about Dreger's bs rumor that the Leafs would be interested in Taylor Hall. Talk about a move that wouldn't truly benefit them. Dreger is a disaster.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:08 PM   #15103
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Surprise no talk about Dreger's bs rumor that the Leafs would be interested in Taylor Hall. Talk about a move that wouldn't truly benefit them. Dreger is a disaster.
Someone must have missed a 0 in the negotiation (5x$750000)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #15104
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think you are very wrong. This team is not nearly as bad as you make it. You have been reading too much Poe
Come on, you're better than that. This team really isn't that bad now? Please enlighten us to how good they are. Are you talking about when they came second overall that one year...but lost in the first round? Or that time they made they playoffs...and lost in the first round? Or that time they didn't make the playoffs but showed lots of "heart and character"? Being good, or even not bad, is measured by success. The team has had no recent success, they currently don't have a bright future (prospect wise), and over the past 30 years has shown....nothing significant? So please, tell me how this team isn't that bad.

Or do you mean they're not that bad as in not bad enough to get a good draft pick but still not good enough to be a threat to any team...in which case, you're right. I agree.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #15105
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly don't know why everyone's overthinking.

Simply give Patrick Maroon a blank check to sign whatever contract he wants and the Cup is ours.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #15106
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And trade firsts with whoever signs Hall.
Step 1: win cup and draft 1st
Step 2:
Step 3: Profit
The Following User Says Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #15107
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I think he’s a good offensive player. A complete hockey player? A $10M hockey player? Not a chance. He does not make his team better and does not make his linemates better. They are along for the ride rather than a part of a larger success. If you think he’s a superstar, that’s a condemnation of the quality of players that get that label attached to them.

Superstars elevate their teams to new levels, not have the team continue to suck and wallow in less than mediocrity. While Eichel has some impressive skills, he has yet to deploy them in a way the team benefits from. That’s on him. Jesus tranny, if a Calgary Flame was playing like him and not seeing improvement you would be losing your #### and being critical of him.

I equate Eichel to Theo Fleury during the dark days. There were times when Fleury had talent to work with, but he still made the game all about him and his point production. Theo couldn’t give a #### about team success, he was about Theo. It got to the point where it was predictable as hell, that as soon as he moved on the team would step forward and the team Fleury went to would flounder. That is exactly what happened. Failure followed him around because he never got the team game. I see those same qualities in Eichel. I no longer care for players like that and don’t want any of them on the Calgary Flames. You can get all excited about them if you like, but I think that’s asinine. I only care about team success. Eichel’s success is predictable IMO, and it will follow him around.
This is such a weird take, do you know Jack personally?
How are you coming up with such an in depth analysis of someone you've unlikely watched live multiple times?
You know for a fact Jack is on the coke hitting the strippers with Theo? Is that why he's headed down a dark road?

Jack carried the load in his early days on a garbage bottom barrel Buffalo team who has struggled for years now.
I'm honestly miffed at this hot take, but you're entitled to your own opinion so I'm glad you came out strong!

Just shocked at how strongly you hate this guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #15108
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

He doesn't hate Eichel. He picks a position and then proceeds to defend it to the death. No matter what. He doesn't know much about the player nor does he care to.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #15109
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry guys, I think I can break his brain:

Sam Bennett is better than Jack Eichel
Old 07-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #15110
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

If you honestly think this team needs more than 1 or 2 new impact forwards to be competitive in their division I can’t even take you seriously.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #15111
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
If you honestly think this team needs more than 1 or 2 new impact forwards to be competitive in their division I can’t even take you seriously.
They need 3-4 news guys who just want to win, win at all costs, change the MO of this team.
Not enough desire to win on this team, you don't change that with one or two guys, they'll just get assimilated into the "who gives a crap" mentality this team has had for years.
Do you want to be competitive or do you want to win?
Old 07-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #15112
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
They need 3-4 news guys who just want to win, win at all costs, change the MO of this team.
Not enough desire to win on this team, you don't change that with one or two guys, they'll just get assimilated into the "who gives a crap" mentality this team has had for years.
Do you want to be competitive or do you want to win?
That’s a lot of assumptions about the mentality of people you don’t know.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #15113
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Come on, you're better than that. This team really isn't that bad now? Please enlighten us to how good they are. Are you talking about when they came second overall that one year...but lost in the first round? Or that time they made they playoffs...and lost in the first round? Or that time they didn't make the playoffs but showed lots of "heart and character"? Being good, or even not bad, is measured by success. The team has had no recent success, they currently don't have a bright future (prospect wise), and over the past 30 years has shown....nothing significant? So please, tell me how this team isn't that bad.

Or do you mean they're not that bad as in not bad enough to get a good draft pick but still not good enough to be a threat to any team...in which case, you're right. I agree.
On paper this roster is pretty strong, last year was a combination of a bunch of things including Ward. Almost every expert before last year started had the Flames finishing 2nd in the division, are they all wrong in judging talent?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #15114
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
On paper this roster is pretty strong, last year was a combination of a bunch of things including Ward. Almost every expert before last year started had the Flames finishing 2nd in the division, are they all wrong in judging talent?
Evidently, yes. They were wrong.

And Poe isn't saying the Flames are terrible, he's saying the Flames are mediocre (with the odd good and bad years). And nothing is worse than that. Especially when you consider the contract situation and prospect pool (again, this situation isn't terrible, but it's mediocre).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #15115
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
He doesn't hate Eichel. He picks a position and then proceeds to defend it to the death. No matter what. He doesn't know much about the player nor does he care to.
It’s actually kind of fascinating that on a re-read of the post, there’s literally zero substance or any indication that any of it has actually been based on having seen the player or even read a single stat line.

Like everything is intentionally vague, a platitude, or an unknowable assumption of character, with a little “if you disagree that’s asinine/you’re condemning true superstars!” to sound convincing and cover up a lack of evidenced information.

Super funny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #15116
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, apparently they were. They thought that because they thought the new additions would help, I'm sure they won't think the Flames do well this year.

And as for looking good on paper, that's why they play thr game we could draw them a picture of the cup and say they're the "on paper champs" and not change the roster.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #15117
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this team needs more than 1-2 impact forwards in order to become a contender. I have a hard time seeing the Flames give Vegas any pushback in the playoffs. Also, usually whenever you acquire impact players, you have to give up impact players in return.

I personally don’t see a good way to tweak this roster to make it more resilient in the playoffs. A part of it is that I can’t diagnose one thing that’s wrong, and point at it. Would you be happy winning a round and then losing to Vegas in 4-5?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #15118
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know personally but watch how they perform or don't perform in their jobs for the last handful of years.

The Flames as a complete team unit have a serious problem with heart, character, and commitment.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #15119
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
This is easily the most exhausting part of these conversations. People arguing the mental makeup and personal motivations of people they’re likely never been within 100 feet of, let alone talked to. Even a professional psychologist would have trouble making that leap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #15120
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames lose Giordano to the Kraken is there an opportunity to send them Monahan for somebody like Dumba or Bean?
Closed Thread