Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #1261
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Not at all, I have a cast iron insert for my Weber performer I use to get a good sear on things.

It’s bbq man, no right or wrong just do what makes you happy!
Whelp, I ended up doing neither unfortunately. I found a deal for $90 that had the porcelain enamel cast iron grates again that also came with heat shields and burners. I am assuming the grates on this BBQ are really fricken old and weren't treated too well (assumptions when I saw the inside while cleaning). The wire brush couldn't have helped either. CI or SS grates would have cost $100-120 alone and the shields and burner replacement parts are going for $65, so I felt like $90 and the savings towards a Kamado made sense. I'm not particularly against the porcelain grates. It's just that the grates I have right now I am assuming are nearly a decade old and rust is eating away at them.

I'll leave the SS/CI duality for my future Kamado. It seems like SS/CI combinations are common in quite a few Kamado guides I've been reading.

On a different note, has anyone else combined cooking methods before? Sous vide to BBQ I think a few of us probably have done. But for future purposes, I'm wondering what happens when I combine a really long multi day sous vide cook with a really slow charcoal cook. The best fricken pulled meat burritos I'll ever have in my life, but not steak?

I'm almost assuming a grilling basket like this would be mandatory if the meat is just completely broken down and would fall apart at the slightest touch:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How about shorter sous vide cooks and a super low heat? How long does it take for the smokey flavour to settle in? I know a guy who smoked his own cheese, so I was curious if something along those lines was possible too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #1262
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

seasoned 2 racks of back ribs this morning!

tomorrow night we eat like kings!!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #1263
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Whelp, I ended up doing neither unfortunately. I found a deal for $90 that had the porcelain enamel cast iron grates again that also came with heat shields and burners. I am assuming the grates on this BBQ are really fricken old and weren't treated too well (assumptions when I saw the inside while cleaning). The wire brush couldn't have helped either. CI or SS grates would have cost $100-120 alone and the shields and burner replacement parts are going for $65, so I felt like $90 and the savings towards a Kamado made sense. I'm not particularly against the porcelain grates. It's just that the grates I have right now I am assuming are nearly a decade old and rust is eating away at them.

I'll leave the SS/CI duality for my future Kamado. It seems like SS/CI combinations are common in quite a few Kamado guides I've been reading.

On a different note, has anyone else combined cooking methods before? Sous vide to BBQ I think a few of us probably have done. But for future purposes, I'm wondering what happens when I combine a really long multi day sous vide cook with a really slow charcoal cook. The best fricken pulled meat burritos I'll ever have in my life, but not steak?

I'm almost assuming a grilling basket like this would be mandatory if the meat is just completely broken down and would fall apart at the slightest touch:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How about shorter sous vide cooks and a super low heat? How long does it take for the smokey flavour to settle in? I know a guy who smoked his own cheese, so I was curious if something along those lines was possible too.
Sous Vide replaces the low and slow portion of bbq. All of the collagen and fat has broken down. So there is no reason add a second low and slow period.

I smoke for about 30 min, sauce, caramelize and your done. It’s my winter bbq technique. I just use a gas grill to do it.

For ribs I Follow Kenji on serious eats but smoke on the grill post Sous code instead of liquid smoke

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-food-lab.html

I’ve done similar with a pulled pork as well using the grill to get the crispy bits on the outside and smoke flavour in about 30 min.

Last edited by GGG; 05-08-2020 at 11:54 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #1264
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Thinking about being spendy and picking up this bad-boy. Anyone with a Napoleon Prestige have Positive/Negative comments for me before I drop cash?
https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collectio...00rsib-propane
Purchased! Where to start now.....
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #1265
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

picked up a couple cheap picnic pork shoulders. Gonna toss em on the smoker early sunday morning I think.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #1266
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
picked up a couple cheap picnic pork shoulders. Gonna toss em on the smoker early sunday morning I think.
Where at?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #1267
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Sous Vide replaces the low and slow portion of bbq. All of the collagen and fat has broken down. So there is no reason add a second low and slow period.

I smoke for about 30 min, sauce, caramelize and your done. It’s my winter bbq technique. I just use a gas grill to do it.

For ribs I Follow Kenji on serious eats but smoke on the grill post Sous code instead of liquid smoke

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-food-lab.html

I’ve done similar with a pulled pork as well using the grill to get the crispy bits on the outside and smoke flavour in about 30 min.
Did this with beef back ribs today

8 hours sous vide at 141F, just cut them into individual bones and added dry rub.
Then 30 minutes at 300 in the pellet smoker with some BBQ sauce.

They were hands down the best beef ribs I've ever made.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #1268
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

The side ceramic burner is a thing of beauty. Have fun admiring your beautiful sear marks while listening to that satisfying sizzle of juices hitting the burner at 700 degrees.

Have wondered if I could cook a steak on that burner alone on ‘low’. I might do that this week.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #1269
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Where at?
superstore
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #1270
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry I should have weighed in, I do have this and have had it for years. It's been an awesome BBQ but my only complaint is it ran cool compared to Weber. So I modified the orifices in the burner tubes and it's much better now! I hardly use it though because of the array of smokers I have, I just don't cook on gas
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #1271
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
The side ceramic burner is a thing of beauty. Have fun admiring your beautiful sear marks while listening to that satisfying sizzle of juices hitting the burner at 700 degrees.

Have wondered if I could cook a steak on that burner alone on ‘low’. I might do that this week.
Yes you can
Old 05-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #1272
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default BBQ and Grilling megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
it ran cool compared to Weber. So I modified the orifices in the burner tubes and it's much better now!
I thought I was the only one!!

What size of drill bit does one need to achieve this level of greatness?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #1273
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the pellet guys out there. Do you have any preference of pellets you use ? I generally just Traeger special blend pellets from Costco as an all around best bang for your buck in town. In the US at my place I use Lumberjack pellets that you can get unreal deals on around July 4th. Last year I bought 20 bags for under $150cnd.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #1274
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't noticed a massive difference in flavour from pellet types, generally traegar special blend or the pit boss competition blend from canadian tire
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #1275
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I haven't noticed a massive difference in flavour from pellet types, generally traegar special blend or the pit boss competition blend from canadian tire
Ok so it’s not just me, I notice like zero difference in taste aside from using Traegers Texas blend for brisket. I just look for the best deal.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #1276
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've used 100% hardwood heating pellets before. They work perfectly fine, and I paid $6 a bag.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #1277
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I've used 100% hardwood heating pellets before. They work perfectly fine, and I paid $6 a bag.
Nm

Last edited by gasman; 05-09-2020 at 07:13 PM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #1278
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I thought I was the only one!!

What size of drill bit does one need to achieve this level of greatness?
I went by the burner spec on the build sheet on the back, divided by the number of burners (I don't have it in front of me at the moment so I can't look) . I think each tube was 12,000 BTU. Calgary has 7WC gas pressure, so by the chart it looks like 1/16. I can't verify if that was what I used but thats the math and you can work it out and double check against other published charts. Its super easy. Don't go too big or you're F'd for lower temps.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #1279
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
For the pellet guys out there. Do you have any preference of pellets you use ? I generally just Traeger special blend pellets from Costco as an all around best bang for your buck in town. In the US at my place I use Lumberjack pellets that you can get unreal deals on around July 4th. Last year I bought 20 bags for under $150cnd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post

I don't like the competition blend pellets personally, I think they don't run hot enough and they impart no flavor whatsoever. I've had good luck with their straight hickory though, and reasonable results with the oak but that's a very neutral wood. So much so I just mixed leftovers with anything else I had as it wouldn't make a difference. I think with the pellets you won't get the same degree of smoke so you need to use the heavy smoke woods like hickory and mesquite to get some good effect. I've also added my A-Maze-N tray and had little difference.

I'm actually seriously thinking of the smoke daddy "heavy D" chunk smoke deflector and rely less on the pellets themselves which would be good for the higher temp ranges. I've never had an issue with the amount of smoke my pellet puts out on the low and high smoke ranges, it rolls. But once you get into the cooking/roasting temp ranges that swing is reduced so doing a hot and fast brisket for example at 270 would need some addition
Old 05-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #1280
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I don't like the competition blend pellets personally, I think they don't run hot enough and they impart no flavor whatsoever. I've had good luck with their straight hickory though, and reasonable results with the oak but that's a very neutral wood. So much so I just mixed leftovers with anything else I had as it wouldn't make a difference. I think with the pellets you won't get the same degree of smoke so you need to use the heavy smoke woods like hickory and mesquite to get some good effect. I've also added my A-Maze-N tray and had little difference.

I'm actually seriously thinking of the smoke daddy "heavy D" chunk smoke deflector and rely less on the pellets themselves which would be good for the higher temp ranges. I've never had an issue with the amount of smoke my pellet puts out on the low and high smoke ranges, it rolls. But once you get into the cooking/roasting temp ranges that swing is reduced so doing a hot and fast brisket for example at 270 would need some addition
You're totally right about doing a fast brisket on a pellet grill not working, 225 is the way to go, or even 180 until your brisket hits 150 then up to 225
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber