Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Will this be a breakout year for... Noah Hanifin?

The Flames posted an interesting article on their website yesterday:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/the-...el/c-320175054

Quote:
Although Hanifin's 24th birthday is coming up in only two weeks, consider this: Prized college free-agent signee Connor Mackey - who's an excellent prospect and someone the Flames feel could be ready for NHL duty at some point soon - is already that age. Before Game 1 of his pro career, no one would be foolish enough to pigeon-hole this player, pre-determine his peak and leave no room for growth.

It's a stunningly stark contrast.

Hanifin, meanwhile, is already an impact player in this league that reliably plays more than 20 minutes per game in every situation imaginable.

He has world-class wheels, an excellent first pass, and a history of putting up points at every level he's played.

Hanifin has the pedigree. Only now, it's about re-discovering that 'edge,' being up on his toes and playing with confidence.

Like he knows he can.

"I don't think I've been as aggressive as I was when I was younger, so I'm looking to make that change this year," Hanifin said. "It's always been inside of me, but I think there's been some hesitation. I think too much in certain situations. Sometimes you've got to be smart and sometimes I've got to rely more on my own instincts.

"That's what got me to the NHL when I was top pick and i think I've drifted away from that a little bit."
There has been much talk about the rise of Rasmus Andersson, and the untapped potential of Juuso Valimaki. Meanwhile, there aren't many talking about Hanifin (unless you count on and off trade rumors). Is this the year he turns on the offence and puts up 40+ points? If Tanev can be steady on the back end, hopefully he'll be more willing to lead/join the rush versus when he played with Hamonic. I'd like to see him get some time on PP2 as well.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

He was on the Spittin Chicklets podcast this off-season and he talked about how he knows he has much higher offensive potential, but the last couple years they've been focusing on his defensive game

He thinks he has it in him to contribute a lot more and he should get more opportunities this season to show that
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good on Hanifin to work on his defensive game early in his NHL career. You won’t stay in the NHL long playing defence unless you can defend effectively.
Looking forward to see him progress. Could be a break out year for him, and with his contract, we would be very happy.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Gio maY very well be our 4th best defenseman at the end of this season. What a treat that would be.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is the interview from which that quote was taken from. Really great answers from Hanifin and he seems to be determined to take another step offensively this season:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/han...1462/c-7186062
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's easy to forget he's only 23 and most top-4 dmen get into stride well in their mid-20's.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love for Noah Hanifin to take a real step into stardom.

I don't expect it, and he's actually one of my least favourite Flames, but I would love for him to prove I still know nothing about hockey.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember one of Treliving’s comments about Hanifin after they made the trade is how they loved his desire to improve and be the player he was drafted to be. I honestly didn’t really see it in his first 2 years with the team. Having said that he was saddled with Hamonic who was great at dragging his partners down (Hanifin and Brodie both looked way better when they got away from him). There was also moving to a new team/conference/country in year 1 and then all the team turmoil with Peter’s in year 2.

Really hoping he hits his potential this year because this guy was Uber hyped coming out of the draft and was being talked about as a potential franchise Dman. If he can become a top pairing guy and he and Andersson take over as the top pair (because they improved and not because Gio-Tanev are falling off) that would be so huge for this franchise.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #9
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think solid top 4 guy is what he is. Bonafide top pairing guy I just don't see but I hope I'm wrong.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It's crazy to think that Andersson is 3 months older than Hanifin. We treat Andersson like a rookie with all the room for growth in the world. People generally see Hanifin as a vet who has reached his potential. It's pretty crazy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #11
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's crazy to think that Andersson is 3 months older than Hanifin. We treat Andersson like a rookie with all the room for growth in the world. People generally see Hanifin as a vet who has reached his potential. It's pretty crazy.
It’s just like Bennett and Mangiapane..

Bennett is younger out of the two.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I don't think I've been as aggressive as I was when I was younger, so I'm looking to make that change this year," Hanifin said. "It's always been inside of me, but I think there's been some hesitation. I think too much in certain situations. Sometimes you've got to be smart and sometimes I've got to rely more on my own instincts.

"That's what got me to the NHL when I was top pick and i think I've drifted away from that a little bit."
This is Noah Hanifin's first NHL season where he doesn't have Bill Peters as his head coach coming into the season, which seems crazy to think about since he's been traded in that time frame. But if there is a coach that's telling a young d-man to be patient and not take risks I feel like it's Peters.

Will be interesting to see how he looks with a guy like Tanev behind you who you know isn't going to be pinching or taking a risk, plus with a new head coach for the first time in his pro career.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-11-2021 at 02:35 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
It’s just like Bennett and Mangiapane..

Bennett is younger out of the two.
Yeah draft pedigree is a bitch.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #14
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he was going to break out last year. This year I think Andersson and Valimaki have more “breakouts” than him, but I would love to be wrong.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah draft pedigree is a bitch.
It's not about draft pedigree.

Hanifin and Bennett ARE veterans with about 400 NHL games played each.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #16
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Hanifin showing flashes of aggressive play and looking like he was going to break out in the first ~10 games of last season, but he reverted back to playing it safe after that. Hopefully he builds on that.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 03:27 PM   #17
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

It isn’t? You don’t believe the expectation to be impact players has been expected more from the two 4th overall picks, than the 2nd and 6th round guys?
Old 01-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

One thing Noah.....SHOW ME.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I thought he was going to break out last year. This year I think Andersson and Valimaki have more “breakouts” than him, but I would love to be wrong.
Dmen usually don't 'get it' until their mid 20s. While I think Valimaki and Andersson are going to be better, I definitely believe we haven't seen the best of Hanifin yet.

I always thought Hamonic wasn't the best partner for him, playing with Tanev could be a good boost for him as well.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #20
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

who just so happened to be selected 4th and 5th overall.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote