Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. I never try to look too much into training camp groupings. Sometimes coaches just want to see how players fit in. I see it more as Mackey being rewarded with an opportunity. Just the nature of the beast is that other players have to pushed aside to let that happen.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #42
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerNhockey View Post
Hey Guys, I have lurked for years on the Forum, but think I should start participating a bit more. Always enjoy reading your comments.

He was unable to get a work visa until he signed his contract. The delay was within the normal time frame so absolutely foreseeable.

In terms of whether or not delaying signing was worth it, you have to weigh what he might have gained and lost. Given where the contract landed and where he is now practicing, I doubt he sees it as worth it. I imagine the impasse was over the AHL/Taxi Squad salary, which he obviously caved on. Had he gotten the one way, its harder to say, especially this year where teams are far more mindful of dollars.

If I was negotiating a contract as a player on the bubble to make the team, I would care far more about the minor league salary then the NHL number.
That’s not a delay at immigration that’s been mentioned. That’s claiming a standard immigration process timeline that wasn’t started at a sufficient date ahead of camp. That puts it on bad reporting then.

Arriving late is not immigration related at all in that case and is then purely on the Flames-Kylington negotiation which led to a Dec 18 signing. Which we have absolutely no insight into why it wasn’t resolved earlier.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #43
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last pre-season we were all hopeful until the opening night line-up was announced which were the same old normal lines from the previous season. (Lindholm was put back on 1st line RW and Bennett back to 4th line LW IIRC)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #44
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Last pre-season we were all hopeful until the opening night line-up was announced which were the same old normal lines from the previous season. (Lindholm was put back on 1st line RW and Bennett back to 4th line LW IIRC)
Last pre-season the Flames were coached by Bill Peters. Geez, that seems like a decade ago.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #45
pokerNhockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That’s not a delay at immigration that’s been mentioned. That’s claiming a standard immigration process timeline that wasn’t started at a sufficient date ahead of camp. That puts it on bad reporting then.

Arriving late is not immigration related at all in that case and is then purely on the Flames-Kylington negotiation which led to a Dec 18 signing. Which we have absolutely no insight into why it wasn’t resolved earlier.

He needs to get a work visa to immigrate into the country given the purpose of his visit. It is absolutely accurate reporting as an immigration (process) delay. The cause was not having a signed contract. Without the immigration holdup he could have been in camp sooner.

I have a friend who actually just came to Canada in December from Australia. She had to put together and submit all of the documents, and get a visa. She had to get approval to visit before she could get on a plane, and that was coming as a visitor. I imagine to come with the added rights of someone with a working visa would be more stringent, specifically, in needing a signed contract to perform the work.

Australia is much easier then Sweden to get into Canada from due to Commonwealth status.

Last edited by pokerNhockey; 01-10-2021 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarity
pokerNhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I want Bennett at centre too. But with Lindholm, Monahan and Backlund at centre, he is clearly the fourth centre. And I’d rather Bennett play with good players and get good minutes on Backlund’s line than get fourth line minutes and wingers. You could give him good wingers on the fourth line, but then that strips good wingers from the first 3 lines.
From what I have gathered Ward wants to rotate all 4 lines so I am not sure if he centres line 4 he will get any less minutes than line 3.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #47
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
From what I have gathered Ward wants to rotate all 4 lines so I am not sure if he centres line 4 he will get any less minutes than line 3.
Which makes complete sense this year more than any previous season where in the past it would just be a nice luxury, this year its crucial. Its going to be a roster, roller coaster ride as guys are going to be out 1-2 games just waiting for a test because they may have been exposed. Spread the talent out, pairs and rotating wingers are a great idea as one off minor 5-10 game injuries will be more common.

No one has any built in 3-4 day off periods to recover from bumps and bruises.

This will be a war of attrition so lets hope our guys are one of the smart teams that keeps covid out of the locker room.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #48
pokerNhockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What I would like to see is:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Simon
Gaudreau - Monahan - Mangiapane
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Levo

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Nesterov / Kylington

- Simon and Mangiapane will complement there lines I think,
- Bennett had his best season on Backlunds left wing. Everyone is happy if he can get back to what he was as a rookie year coming off a missed season due to an injury,

- Dube will be able to do a ton with Backlunds mentorship,
- the 4th line should be able to be above water more often then not,

- I think this is has the chance to grow into a 1B/1B approach on defense.

I think you are comfortable going into games rolling 4 lines with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
This will be a war of attrition so lets hope our guys are one of the smart teams that keeps covid out of the locker room.

That roster I think sets us up pretty well to handle covid compared to a lot of teams. This will be a weird year, I certainly wouldn't be surprised by a big year.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He needs to get a work visa to immigrate into the country given the purpose of his visit. It is absolutely accurate reporting as an immigration (process) delay. The cause was not having a signed contract. Without the immigration holdup he could have been in camp sooner.

I have a friend who actually just came to Canada in December from Australia. She had to put together and submit all of the documents, and get a visa. She had to get approval to visit before she could get on a plane, and that was coming as a visitor. I imagine to come with the added rights of someone with a working visa would be more stringent, specifically, in needing a signed contract to perform the work.

Australia is much easier then Sweden to get into Canada from due to Commonwealth status.
That’s not an immigration delay though. If I need to be at your place at 5pm but reasonably foresee that I need to stop at the grocery store first, and then don’t get ready to leave on time, I wasn’t delayed at the grocery store. I was late because I spent too much time on CP and didn’t get ready to leave at the appropriate time.

NHLers also don’t go through the same immigration streams as regular citizens.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #50
pokerNhockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not an immigration delay though. If I need to be at your place at 5pm but reasonably foresee that I need to stop at the grocery store first, and then don’t get ready to leave on time, I wasn’t delayed at the grocery store. I was late because I spent too much time on CP and didn’t get ready to leave at the appropriate time.
I agree you were not "delayed" at the grocery store in your story, but you were late because of needing to go to the grocery story in the first place. Therefore I think it is reasonable to say that you were late because of going to the grocery store as long as you don't say "delayed".

If on the other hand you were at the grocery store and you were late because it took some time for you to get the grocery list from your spouse so the deli guy wasn't able to start prepping your order, it is reasonable to say you were delayed at the grocery store. I think that is a better metaphor for this situation.

Quote:
NHLers also don’t go through the same immigration streams as regular citizens.

Agreed. But without the contract he wouldn't have qualified as a NHLer for immigration purposes.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree you were not "delayed" at the grocery store in your story, but you were late because of needing to go to the grocery story in the first place. Therefore I think it is reasonable to say that you were late because of going to the grocery store as long as you don't say "delayed".

If on the other hand you were at the grocery store and you were late because it took some time for you to get the grocery list from your spouse so the deli guy wasn't able to start prepping your order, it is reasonable to say you were delayed at the grocery store. I think that is a better metaphor for this situation.

Agreed. But without the contract he wouldn't have qualified as a NHLer for immigration purposes.
We’re getting deep into semantics, but I’m entertained. Your metaphor is stretching things to align with the wording of delayed by immigration. Then he’s delayed by packing his suitcases too.

It’s all a chain of events then where the only delay was inking the contract if immigration didn’t provide any unexpected hold up.

It’s guaranteed teams have no shortage of understanding of typical immigration timelines for every region.

You don’t usually commonly hear of NHL players having a 15 day time period between signing a contract and entering the country. Especially a player who’s been here for 5 previous years. Christmas overlap could have caused an unexpected immigration delay above usual processing times. Not necessarily reasonably foreseeable as most player transactions take place in the summer sans COVID. So perhaps Kylington and the Flames were comfortable that signing on December 18th was sufficient to get to Canada and meet quarantine in time for camp but immigration did delay. We don’t have details on the contract discussions nor the immigration process so to base assumptions about the player or the Flames is unreasonable, but I’m not a lawyer or in media.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #52
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We’re getting deep into semantics, but I’m entertained. Your metaphor is stretching things to align with the wording of delayed by immigration. Then he’s delayed by packing his suitcases too.

It’s all a chain of events then where the only delay was inking the contract if immigration didn’t provide any unexpected hold up.

It’s guaranteed teams have no shortage of understanding of typical immigration timelines for every region.

You don’t usually commonly hear of NHL players having a 15 day time period between signing a contract and entering the country. Especially a player who’s been here for 5 previous years. Christmas overlap could have caused an unexpected immigration delay above usual processing times. Not necessarily reasonably foreseeable as most player transactions take place in the summer sans COVID. So perhaps Kylington and the Flames were comfortable that signing on December 18th was sufficient to get to Canada and meet quarantine in time for camp but immigration did delay. We don’t have details on the contract discussions nor the immigration process so to base assumptions about the player or the Flames is unreasonable, but I’m not a lawyer or in media.
All I meant was that he didn’t sign his contract until the last minute. So when the foreseeable complications of travelling between countries in the midst of a pandemic arose, he couldn’t get to Calgary for the start of training camp. You could say his tardiness was the result of a pandemic-immigration issue or signing his contract late. The main point is that if he would’ve signed his contract earlier, he could’ve attended training came on time regardless of the immigration complications associated with the pandemic. Instead, he lost the opportunity to impress the coaching staff, and now he really doesn’t have time to compete with Nesterov. I think if he would’ve been here on time, he would’ve had a chance at the spot next to Valimaki.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #53
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen who’s getting PP1 reps in practice?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #54
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Not Oliver Kylington.

Immigration delays, apparently

EDIT: I’ve read they’ve been using the same forwards as last year, with Andersson on the point.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #55
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post

PP1 is Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Andersson
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #56
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn, they still aren’t they putting Lucic in front of the net on PP1 /s
Old 01-11-2021, 12:08 AM   #57
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
PP1 is Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Andersson
I am rather fond of this, and would therefore appreciate another one.

#educatedthor
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #58
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Darn, they still aren’t they putting Lucic in front of the net on PP1 /s
I think Lucic had his best success on the 2nd PP with Backlund and Mangiapane.

From my recollection.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #59
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I think Lucic had his best success on the 2nd PP with Backlund and Mangiapane.

From my recollection.
The 2nd PP should go as such:
Bennett
Leivo-Dube-Mangiapane
Gio

Bennett proved in the bubble that he is more than capable as a net front presence on the PP.

This line up also keeps Backlund and Ryan fresh for the PK.

Valimaki may very well also take Gio's place by the end of the season.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
The 2nd PP should go as such:
Bennett
Leivo-Dube-Mangiapane
Gio

Bennett proved in the bubble that he is more than capable as a net front presence on the PP.

This line up also keeps Backlund and Ryan fresh for the PK.

Valimaki may very well also take Gio's place by the end of the season.
Backlund is the Flames fifth most productive forward, and the other four are on PP1. There is no reason at all why he shouldn't be getting lots of powerplay time.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: