Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #21
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Speaking of bad announcing duos, anyone remember the PPV team of Millions & Peplinski? I honestly believe Peplinski hated Roger.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This is disappointing from a technical point of view, as I feel that the quality of their broadcasts have been terrible.

But Bell and Hrudey are among the best local tandems in the league. CCP gets better every game too.

And yes, please bring back Leah.
Ranked 25th by the Athletic in their latest rankings.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #23
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would have been cheesed if Cuthbert came from TSN to sportsnet just in time for the Flames to go from Sportsnet to TSN
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Ranked 25th by the Athletic in their latest rankings.
and where did they rank Quinn and Remenda?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #25
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and where did they rank Quinn and Remenda?
26th (though I don't think remenda is the colour guy).

Probably where both belong.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the Athletic rated those teams low because of poor production, not because of the on-air talent.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
26th (though I don't think remenda is the colour guy).

Probably where both belong.
I watch a lot of games from other providers while I am in the US. I don't care what the Athletic thinks, Bell and Hrudey are easily top 10.

Having them ranked immediately in front of Quinn is all I need to know about whoever did the list.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watch a lot of games from other providers while I am in the US. I don't care what the Athletic thinks, Bell and Hrudey are easily top 10.

Having them ranked immediately in front of Quinn is all I need to know about whoever did the list.
Local fans?
Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm pretty sure the Athletic rated those teams low because of poor production, not because of the on-air talent.
Was wondering about that, though I haven't read the assessment, so I couldn't comment on it.

The production quality of the two (especially the Flames), is among the worst, if not THE worst, in the league.

(that is why this news disappoints me)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #30
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hrudey is literally the best color guy. He's un-annoying and I can completely tune him out. All the other ones drive me nuts, except maybe Debrusk.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Local fans?
So it was a vote of subscribers?

How do you rank 31 broadcasts by letting local viewers vote? That would be beyond stupid.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it was a vote of subscribers?

How do you rank 31 broadcasts by letting local viewers vote? That would be beyond stupid.
It was a balance of local fans and out of towners and than weighted. Production was a part of it too.

I don't watch a ton of Flames games, but Ball is good. Hrudey and Cassie Campbell aren't good. For reference I really dislike the Oilers crew. But I mostly just tune out of whoever is announcing any game I watch. Its much nicer to watch that way.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ball ranked very highly in The Athletic's poll, it was production quality and Hrudey/Pascall-Campbell that tanked Sportsnet Calgary's ranking. Seems right to me.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #34
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good news. Hrudey is the best.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin View Post
I would have been cheesed if Cuthbert came from TSN to sportsnet just in time for the Flames to go from Sportsnet to TSN
It wouldn't matter.

Cuthbert is calling national broadcasts, so he wouldn't be calling Flames regional games either way. Sportsnet will carry Flames national games regardless of who owns their regional rights.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #36
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love Rick Ball who is a future star but the rest of Sportsnet broadcast is brutal so this isn't great news. I doubt it happens but replacing Kelly Hrudey with a competent colour commentator would boost Calgary's team to elite status. Ball has the voice and flow but still needs some help identifying why stoppages occurred and when penalties are called, and tactical analysis. Hrudey spends most of the broadcast telling old tales and jokes "Hey, Rick? Hey, Rick? haugh haugh haugh haugh!" without adding anything of substance.

Production quality is abhorrent, starting with and most importantly audio and visual quality. Why can't we get a true HD feed and surround sound in 2020 (2021). Plus constantly missing the starts and ends of plays showing stupid narrative-filled graphics, trying cute camera angles that show nothing (who doesn't love a close-up of two players' shoulders in a board battle?!), and Eric Francis.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ball/Campbell and Leah Hextall on the desk! She was awesome!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #38
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hrudey is so bad sportsnet decided to promote him to national broadcasts on Saturday nights.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #39
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Hrudey spends most of the broadcast telling old tales and jokes "Hey, Rick? Hey, Rick? haugh haugh haugh haugh!" without adding anything of substance.

That's exactly what I like about him, his commentary is so-so but the banter and relaxed conversation is great.
I just wish he wouldn't suger coat everything, like he doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings - if someone makes a bad play (including refs), call them out
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #40
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Ball ranked very highly in The Athletic's poll, it was production quality and Hrudey/Pascall-Campbell that tanked Sportsnet Calgary's ranking. Seems right to me.
The last paragraph makes it seem like the split duties had an impact. Some people love Hrudey and Hate Campbell-Pascall and some people are the opposite. Few people like both, so you get a mediocre rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAthletic
Both Hrudey and Campbell-Pascall have their partisans in Calgary, and collectively represent a problem for anyone trying to summarize fan feeling. Many voters wrote in to say that the broadcast was great but suffered when Hrudey was away for his national role, while a virtually equal number suggested that coverage was at its best with Campbell-Pascall. Unlike most broadcasts with split commentary duties, it’s not at all clear that a majority of our respondents prefer one to the other.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote