Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What's the best WiFi range extender in 2020?

I have three floors in my house. My wireless router is located downstairs. My bedroom is on the third floor. The signal doesn't quite get there consistently.

I have an extender from a couple of years ago (an ASUS RP-56 extender) that is inconsistent and pretty slow. On my main floor, speedtest gives me speeds of 150mbps down on the main router, and I only get about 10mbps upstairs using the range extender. So... that's not going to cut it.

What is the best solution nowadays for a situation like mine, where I'm not trying to cover some massive 4000 sq ft home, but rather just get usable internet up to the third floor? I'd rather not have to shell out for an obscenely expensive mesh network if I don't have to.

With black friday coming up I want to figure this out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your current router is AirMesh compatible via firmware update you could purchase a newer mid range Asus router and use that as your main and the existing Asus router as an extender or vice versa if your current Asus router is a top end one. That's what I'm doing.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I have three floors in my house. My wireless router is located downstairs. My bedroom is on the third floor. The signal doesn't quite get there consistently.

I have an extender from a couple of years ago (an ASUS RP-56 extender) that is inconsistent and pretty slow. On my main floor, speedtest gives me speeds of 150mbps down on the main router, and I only get about 10mbps upstairs using the range extender. So... that's not going to cut it.

What is the best solution nowadays for a situation like mine, where I'm not trying to cover some massive 4000 sq ft home, but rather just get usable internet up to the third floor? I'd rather not have to shell out for an obscenely expensive mesh network if I don't have to.

I am in the exact same boat. I ordered those little hexagonal wifi pods from Shaw. They actually made things worse. After a week I removed them all.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with the google mesh system and it works fantastic. I do have mine backhauled though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to know the answer to this.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google Nest Wifi over here. Pricey but works great.

We set it up years ago, likely many mesh wifi options that are cheaper though.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am in the exact same boat. I ordered those little hexagonal wifi pods from Shaw. They actually made things worse. After a week I removed them all.
My dad had something similar sent to him by Telus. They were free, so whatever, but they didn't help at all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I use a powerline to wifi adapter. Works very well
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65425
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you have for your main router?

I have an old Nighthawk R7000 that easily covers my 3 floor house at >100mbps. If your house is basic wood construction, one good router should work.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What do you have for your main router?

I have an old Nighthawk R7000 that easily covers my 3 floor house at >100mbps. If your house is basic wood construction, one good router should work.
Yeah that R7000 is a great router as long as you have the right firmware. I updated and it became a nightmare with disconnecting all the time. Going back to the old firmware solved that issue though.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Yeah that R7000 is a great router as long as you have the right firmware. I updated and it became a nightmare with disconnecting all the time. Going back to the old firmware solved that issue though.

What firmware did you update to and what did you revert back to. Just curious because I have two and one is sitting in my desk drawer because it got so flaky.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #12
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Get a mesh system. Make sure you can either ethernet backhaul it or it has a dedicated wireless backhaul channel.

I have the Netgear Orbi RBK50 and it’s great. I was getting around 10 down in kids room and now it’s over 300 down. I put the main router in my office in the basement and the satellite is on the 2nd floor in the bonus room.

Extenders are horrible as although they increase the range, your bandwidth is cut by at least half for anything connecting to it.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:41 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Basic mesh network with 3 nodes is like $150 (ie: Deco). Not insanely expensive now, dead easy and better future proofing than extenders. With power line built in, it's even easier and would probably be $200 for 3 nodes?

ie: something like this one

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-pack/14587117
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
What firmware did you update to and what did you revert back to. Just curious because I have two and one is sitting in my desk drawer because it got so flaky.
I don't recall but it was the newest firmware as of a month or so ago that I had updated to. I rolled back one at a time until I found a stable one. The only one I found that was stable for me was V1.09.42 so I'm sticking with it for good

1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

this. simply amazing.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX76357

also, anyone thinking of getting Shaw pods. simply don't. Max rate on them is only 75mbps. So those getting 300+ or 600+, your absolutely killing yourself.

Last edited by csnarpy; 11-15-2020 at 05:33 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Basic mesh network with 3 nodes is like $150 (ie: Deco). Not insanely expensive now, dead easy and better future proofing than extenders. With power line built in, it's even easier and would probably be $200 for 3 nodes?

ie: something like this one

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-pack/14587117
+1
I have an early model deco mesh. Works great over 3 floors and a pretty large area. Have had no problems since switching to this about a year ago, where previously were lots of dead/slow areas.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you getting in terms of download / upload rates on speedtest in the former dead zones through that?

csnarpy I'm sure that's an amazing setup but that's not really where I'd ideally like to allocate $600 of my money. I was kind of hoping to keep it under 3.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What are you getting in terms of download / upload rates on speedtest in the former dead zones through that?

csnarpy I'm sure that's an amazing setup but that's not really where I'd ideally like to allocate $600 of my money. I was kind of hoping to keep it under 3.
I have the TP Link Deco M5. It's been pretty good over the last few years, but no dedicated backhaul, so I'll upgrade at some point in the near future.

In the areas where I had poor coverage from my ISP router, I'm now getting 150 mbps or so (I get about 550 or so at the router).
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
this. simply amazing.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX76357

also, anyone thinking of getting Shaw pods. simply don't. Max rate on them is only 75mbps. So those getting 300+ or 600+, your absolutely killing yourself.
I use this, but I use two of the routers rather than the giant sword access points this thing has. Better aesthetics and more control. Way overkill for the average person who could basically get a $150 Deco and be good for like the next 2-3 years easy vs spending $50-60 on other junk that will demand a solution again in less than 12 months.

Quote:

One of the things I like about mesh is that they don't overheat as easily as extenders and other stuff. Unlike the old school routers concept, I don't generally have to power cycle them. I might do it once or twice a year as kind of a "test everything" type of situation, but it's not necessary.

I have Shaw 300 and dual Amplifi routers running mesh. I'm getting 330/16 within 10 feet and no obstruction to the node. Add 1-2 walls and about 15-20 feet, I'm still getting around 90-160. The worst place in my home is probably the garage which is like 50 ft away and through like 4-5 walls. I still get around 20-50.

The Amplifi might be a little more powerful than the Deco which could affect speeds in your situation, but you'd have 3 nodes vs I only have 2. You also have much more options in positioning 2 nodes (one is at the modem) to make sure you're at a functional wifi speed than previously. I don't know what speeds you have and what you'd get, but putting one basement/main/upstairs should easily make a noticeable difference in comparison to what you have right now.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Shaw 150 (actually Freedom 150, it's bundled with my phone, but it's supplied by Shaw).

I have the modem router they gave me, and my ASUS router and an ASUS RT56u range extender. The ASUS router is now superfluous - it's supposedly one with better range than most, but I find no practical difference between connecting to it or the base modem/router.

As I say, the modem (and the ASUS router) are downstairs. I get no less than 145 anywhere downstairs, and usually more like 180. On the main floor, it's more like 90-120. The range extender is here but I don't use it on the main floor because those speeds from the modem itself are more than adequate.

Upstairs is the real problem. The range extender tends to get 30mpbs up there, while just the direct connection to the modem 2 floors away is 20-30. Those speeds are not good, but they're okay. Usable. The problem is that both often drop connection altogether, or effectively become useless as they drop to speeds below 5mbps. If I run a speed test I get kind of sputtery results - speed spikes and then drops to near 0.

What I would really like is to get something approaching my main floor results up on my top floor. Consistent connection with at least 60-70 mbps speeds.

According to Best Buy's black friday flyer this is going on sale for 250, and I'd be interested in any thoughts or experiences: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-buy/13021824

Of course the Deco system is only 170 right now, so I could wait and see if that gets even cheaper.