GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Now Homan is having a bad day.
She could be in position of having to beat BC in her last game to advance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
She could be in position of having to beat BC in her last game to advance.
Looks very much to be the case now...or at least a playoff game to get in.

Alberta rinks are a combined 10-1 after today.

Big game for Scheidegger tomorrow night as she could be in a position to eliminate Jennifer Jones and put herself in 1st place depending on the morning draw.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #44
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
alberta rinks are a combined 10-1 after today.
14-3 😏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #45
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Something you dont see everyday....PEI just stole 6 in one end....and they shake hands right after in a 15-5 trouncing of NWT....2 ends earlier it was 6-5.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #46
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

This year there definitely seems to be some odd things happening.

Perhaps it's something left in the water from when Centre 200 was home to Edmonton's farm team?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #47
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Something you dont see everyday....PEI just stole 6 in one end....and they shake hands right after in a 15-5 trouncing of NWT....2 ends earlier it was 6-5.
I didn't see it but that's not all that surprising. With NWT down by four already they had to start ignoring the PEI rocks and trying to generate anything they could. At that point one miss on the last rock and it's a huge end. It's the same way you can end up with a stolen eight ender - the team with hammer always thinking they are in position to make one or two shots to score and then missing with the last one.

More shocking to me was the steal of five in the second end that PEI got yesterday in that 13-12 game against NB - that one screams questionable strategy.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #48
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
This year there definitely seems to be some odd things happening.

Perhaps it's something left in the water from when Centre 200 was home to Edmonton's farm team?
There are two things that really stand out. One is the huge gap between the top teams and the "participants" Going to 16 teams and sticking with provincial representation has really watered down the competition, created some huge blow outs. Expanding the number of teams but adding more less skilled teams was pretty dumb. The Yukon and Nunavut teams do not belong with the AB's and MB's, two provinces that could easily have three teams each vying for the title.
The other thing that stands out is some relatively easy shots are being missed big time. When the skip is 8 feet short of the button on a draw there has to be some outlying factors. The biggest is the ice has been very unpredictable, when the Homan and Jones can't hit the house something is not right with the ice, but we are also seeing inconsistent curl in the rocks, none of this bodes well for anyone.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #49
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
The biggest is the ice has been very unpredictable, when the Homan and Jones can't hit the house something is not right with the ice, but we are also seeing inconsistent curl in the rocks, none of this bodes well for anyone.
What's odd to me is that it's flippin' freezing here at the moment, and has been below freezing all week so it's not like it's 15° or 20° outside causing problems. There's a new ice plant in the rink so you'd think that wouldn't be a factor either.

It's not like the tournament hasn't been played in arenas before, it's always played in arenas.

Not sure why the ice is an inconsistent as it is.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #50
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are two things that really stand out. One is the huge gap between the top teams and the "participants" Going to 16 teams and sticking with provincial representation has really watered down the competition, created some huge blow outs. Expanding the number of teams but adding more less skilled teams was pretty dumb. The Yukon and Nunavut teams do not belong with the AB's and MB's, two provinces that could easily have three teams each vying for the title.

I like that the Brier and Scottie's are national championships that are competed in by provincial representatives. There have been a lot of positive changes over the years that have improved them, but the latest batch of changes have not. I don't like the wild card teams being involved, even if Scheidegger is one of my favourites. There is a world curling tour. I play on it. The events are sparsely attended, even though it's some of the best curling in the world. The Brier and Scottie's are something different, and there is a reason the attendance is so much bigger.

Having all three territories is stupid. Full stop. If the goal of having all three was to ensure that Curling Canada was growing the game, then I would fully support it. This won't happen. Kids in Iqaluit aren't seeing the team at visualizing that they too could go 1-8 in a national event. The population is 38,000 in Nunavut. How big can they grow the game? They should go back to having one rep from the territories. It gives a better rep and makes the games more fun for everyone. The only thing it's doing right now is incentivizing mid level curlers to go up to the territories and take spots away from local curlers, in order to get to a national championships. Players like Schille, Appleman, Ng, Tran, etc. are benefiting, not residents of the territories.

So now that I've gotten rid of the WC and two teams from the territories, we are down to 13. Next up, get rid of Northern Ontario. It's ridiculous that Ontario gets two berths. Their argument has been it's a travel thing and/or population reason. If that's the case then BC and Manitoba should get two. Sounds dumb? It is. I will give the teams in the Northern Ontario district the option of playing in Manitoba or Ontario. Some actually live closer to Manitoba curling rinks than Ontario ones.

Now we are down to 12. Holy cow. That's a number that works. You get a full round robin, which I think is imperative to a national championship. Every team plays each other and the same number of games until playoffs. You don't have the embarrassing seeding draw that no one wants to play in.

Going to 16 teams is also taking away funding from the Curling Canada members they say they are trying to help grow. The mixed event has had most of the funds taken away from it. Coaches and 5th players are now on their own for expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The other thing that stands out is some relatively easy shots are being missed big time. When the skip is 8 feet short of the button on a draw there has to be some outlying factors. The biggest is the ice has been very unpredictable, when the Homan and Jones can't hit the house something is not right with the ice, but we are also seeing inconsistent curl in the rocks, none of this bodes well for anyone.
It also added very skilled teams as 2 of Jones, Fleury, Scheidegger and Carey wouldn't be here otherwise.

The teams from Nunavut, Yukon etc won't get any better by not playing at the highest levels and getting better while being able to pass knowledge to the upcoming juniors and such.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #52
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Wasn't the problem that if you had one territories team, teams couldn't even travel to the playdowns? How are teams from Whitehorse and Yellowknife and who knows where else going to play each other?

I mean even in Newfoundland some years only the St. John's teams could play each other.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #53
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I guess the Cape Breton Regional Police are just handing out in the Tim Hortons located directly in front of Centre 200.

Sweet Moses Krista McCarville with 15 steals so far?!

She should be seeing the inside of the Sydney Justice Centre sooner rather than later!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #54
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It also added very skilled teams as 2 of Jones, Fleury, Scheidegger and Carey wouldn't be here otherwise.

The teams from Nunavut, Yukon etc won't get any better by not playing at the highest levels and getting better while being able to pass knowledge to the upcoming juniors and such.
Partially right, They added the Wild Card team as well as N Ont, team Canada has been given an automatic entry for years. It's the Brier that only recently has awarded births to the previous years champion (team Canada). So they added on top team (WC), a decent team (NOnt) and two bad teams from the territories.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #55
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

What is girl-Koe doing? Down big to winless Yukon, going to cost her a tiebreaker spot.

Yukon must have heard you guys calling them alsorans!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Partially right, They added the Wild Card team as well as N Ont, team Canada has been given an automatic entry for years. It's the Brier that only recently has awarded births to the previous years champion (team Canada). So they added on top team (WC), a decent team (NOnt) and two bad teams from the territories.
They kind of had to add those teams though for balance...no?

Otherwise you'd have 2 pools with 7 teams each, and a 6 game round robin just wouldn't be sufficient and certainly wouldn't work for TV purposes.

Either way i think they have pretty damn good formula and it keeps viewers interested all week.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess they could take away PEI too since it’s so small. But wait, they are a contender this year!

I personally think this format is interesting as hell to watch. The two pools is not unusual for any major sporting competition.

And it’s always funny as how only certain teams complain about the ice at every competition. The good teams like Jones play on so many diffeeent surfaces during the year that they have a huge advantage IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #58
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I like this format.

No, you're not going to get 16 highly competitive teams. However, great curling teams come from every part of the country.

I remember as a kid it seemed like Northern Ontario was a gimme victory. How could they compete against the Albertas of the country?

Brad Jacobs says hi.

Remember when Newfoundland was too small and isolated to compete?

Hello Brad Gushue.

That's men's curling though. No way a small province can compete in Women's Curling?

What's that Canadian Curling legend Colleen Jones curled out of the Mayflower Curling Club in Halifax?

No the territories aren't there yet. But they were always relegated to one team. How many championships would Atlantic Canada have with one team?

Let all the country be represented. It's the National Championship for crying out loud.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #59
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I guess they could take away PEI too since it’s so small. But wait, they are a contender this year!

I personally think this format is interesting as hell to watch. The two pools is not unusual for any major sporting competition.

And it’s always funny as how only certain teams complain about the ice at every competition. The good teams like Jones play on so many diffeeent surfaces during the year that they have a huge advantage IMO.
PEI made the final a few years back with Erin Carmody who's bounced around everywhere including Alberta. This year she was the 3rd for Nova Scotia who struggled because the skip lost her voice.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...mare-1.5026139

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-21-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #60
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Talk about a log jam now. This is going to get very interesting moving forward. Every game matters
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote