Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #881
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone tried the Eau Claire single malt whiskey? Saw it at Sobeys in Okotoks yesterday
but at $100 a bottle I was hesitant to try it. They do make fine if overpriced Gin.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #882
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Anyone tried the Eau Claire single malt whiskey? Saw it at Sobeys in Okotoks yesterday
but at $100 a bottle I was hesitant to try it. They do make fine if overpriced Gin.
It's on sale at Willow Park this weekend for $82.

I picked up a bottle but haven't tried it yet.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #883
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just tried Mackmyra, a Swedish whisky. I had never wondered what a forest fire tasted like, but now I know.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #884
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://craftcellars.ca/product/blantons-original/

This is pretty good
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #885
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just tried Mackmyra, a Swedish whisky. I had never wondered what a forest fire tasted like, but now I know.
Yeah I had that in my advent calendar last year. I'll just say this: they won't be changing the name of "Scotch" to "Swedes" anytime soon. Not great.

On another note, I have been gifted a Japanese (scotch) whiskey advent calendar this year. My general consensus for most of these scotches is this: They are nicely balanced, but lack significant flavor or body or color. A very Japanese-style take on the product. Not bad, but just doesn't hit you the same way.

Some of them have been downright bad though. Not every Japanese whiskey is worth drinking.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #886
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah I had that in my advent calendar last year. I'll just say this: they won't be changing the name of "Scotch" to "Swedes" anytime soon. Not great.

On another note, I have been gifted a Japanese (scotch) whiskey advent calendar this year. My general consensus for most of these scotches is this: They are nicely balanced, but lack significant flavor or body or color. A very Japanese-style take on the product. Not bad, but just doesn't hit you the same way.

Some of them have been downright bad though. Not every Japanese whiskey is worth drinking.
I'm not big on the Japanese whiskies either. I do agree that there seems to be something missing there. They're not terrible, but not great. I'm kind of on a Lagavulin kick for some reason. I do generally prefer the Islay scotches, and always lean that way, so I guess that's not surprising.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #887
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cali, do you drink the scotches neat or with ice/water? One thing I've found with Scotches/bourbon is that the water often just concentrates the flavor, but doesn't really change it.

Japanese whiskeys on the other hand I find there are many that are almost seemingly designed (I don't know if this is the right word) to be slightly diluted. The frustrating part of this though, is that some of these whiskeys completely evolve and are nothing like the original after you add water. By far the most distinct of the Japanese Whiskeys I have run into that do this is Nikka. I'm talking about a whiskey that tastes slight smokey and woody going completely different after a few drops of water and tasting like lilies and seaweed and completely bonkers flavors that I admit I don't like at all (I believe it was Coffey still that did this). However, it's a weird ride that's kinda worth trying out and laughing about later on.

I haven't tried this since last year, but OTOH, with some water:

Hibiki - dried fruit flavors towards fresh fruit and spices.
Yamazaki - deletes sweetness and adds spiciness
Nikka - I can't even describe the internal screaming and confusion I have drinking this stuff diluted. Can range from diluted flavor to totally brand new flavors and sometimes a flavour that feels like it crossed a whiskey flavour chart quadrant.
Helios - Someone poured red bull into my whiskey and dropped a cigarette butt into it, or I ate a Flintstones vitamin and smoked a crappy cigar before drinking whiskey.
Hakushu - dilutes flavor but adds a slight iodine flavor

Consider giving it a try if you want to solidify your opinion of Japanese whiskey being meh. I've determined I enjoy Hibiki and Yamazaki, but I'm quite meh on most of other offerings.

Nikka from the barrel though I will challenge anyone to try a blind taste test with that and Highland park 12 and know which is which without hesitating.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-15-2020 at 11:02 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #888
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Cali, do you drink the scotches neat or with ice/water? One thing I've found with Scotches/bourbon is that the water often just concentrates the flavor, but doesn't really change it.

Japanese whiskeys on the other hand I find there are many that are almost seemingly designed (I don't know if this is the right word) to be slightly diluted. The frustrating part of this though, is that some of these whiskeys completely evolve and are nothing like the original after you add water. By far the most distinct of the Japanese Whiskeys I have run into that do this is Nikka. I'm talking about a whiskey that tastes slight smokey and woody going completely different after a few drops of water and tasting like lilies and seaweed and completely bonkers flavors that I admit I don't like at all (I believe it was Coffey still that did this). However, it's a weird ride that's kinda worth trying out and laughing about later on.

Nikka - I can't even describe the internal screaming and confusion I have drinking this stuff diluted. Can range from diluted flavor to totally brand new flavors and sometimes a flavour that feels like it crossed a whiskey flavour chart quadrant.
Helios - Someone poured red bull into my whiskey and dropped a cigarette butt into it, or I ate a Flintstones vitamin and smoked a crappy cigar before drinking whiskey.

Consider giving it a try if you want to solidify your opinion of Japanese whiskey being meh. I've determined I enjoy Hibiki and Yamazaki, but I'm quite meh on most of other offerings.

Nikka from the barrel though I will challenge anyone to try a blind taste test with that and Highland park 12 and know which is which without hesitating.

Adding even a drop of water changes the complexion of the quite significantly. While many enjoy that ‘opening up’ it ruins every scotch I’ve tried it with. Literally one drop. Just my preference I guess.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #889
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Adding even a drop of water changes the complexion of the quite significantly. While many enjoy that ‘opening up’ it ruins every scotch I’ve tried it with. Literally one drop. Just my preference I guess.
Agreed. The only time I add water is for cask strength, but I rarely even do that. I prefer all my stuff neat. I've even tried cooling whiskey before consuming it just to learn. I don't understand these methods of consumption. I'm barely even picky with what I drink and I'll drink from all whiskey flavour chart quadrants, but I absolutely dislike going the water and chilled route.

2-4 fingers into a crystal glass, room temp, neat... that's how I like it.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #890
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of my whiskey sits in my office and our fridge at the office doesn't make ice. Upsets some people, but for those of us who like it neat, its fine!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #891
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. The only time I add water is for cask strength, but I rarely even do that. I prefer all my stuff neat. I've even tried cooling whiskey before consuming it just to learn. I don't understand these methods of consumption. I'm barely even picky with what I drink and I'll drink from all whiskey flavour chart quadrants, but I absolutely dislike going the water and chilled route.

*Fuzz looks at his 4 fingers*

Uh, that's a healthy pour!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #892
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
*Fuzz looks at his 4 fingers*

Uh, that's a healthy pour!
https://www.waterford.com/en-ca/glas...xoCu8sQAvD_BwE

To be fair, this is what I use so I think that a finger is less in one of these than the typical tumbler. I got them for like $40 at Winners a few years ago and they quickly replaced the Mikasa old fashioned glasses I used before them.

A finger of Scotch using my fingers I think is around 2 oz. I rarely do 4 fingers unless it's a bad day, and I'd guess it's around a 8-9 oz pour I'd nurse for a few hours...

But I also guzzled 2-3 fingers worth a few times to horrific results because I was watching Peaky Blinders and wondering what it would be like to douse an emotion at the same pace the characters are downing their liquids in Peaky Blinders... And then I was stupid and tried it again with Bourbon after watching Mad Men.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #893
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

For years I tried drinking scotch on the rocks or with a splash of water. Never liked it.

Then I tried it neat and warm, I've been in trouble since
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #894
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just thought I'd mention that my calendar is now getting into the Nikka varieties, both blends and single malts. They're actually very tasty.

Some of the others were basically clear and like drinking rubbing alcohol. I don't know how they get lumped in with the quality ones. It's not like scotch where almost every single scotch is nice and drinkable, and the differences come down to preference. Lots of wild variation in other products around the world.

I also didn't mind the Paul John from India when I had it. Worth a try if anyone's curious about it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #895
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just thought I'd mention that my calendar is now getting into the Nikka varieties, both blends and single malts. They're actually very tasty.

Some of the others were basically clear and like drinking rubbing alcohol. I don't know how they get lumped in with the quality ones. It's not like scotch where almost every single scotch is nice and drinkable, and the differences come down to preference. Lots of wild variation in other products around the world.

I also didn't mind the Paul John from India when I had it. Worth a try if anyone's curious about it.
Maybe it's all tasting like crap to you because it's not Lagavulin? I've tried a few India whiskey and I agree they're not bad at all.

If you don't mind me asking, which were the weird ones that tasted like crap?

Nikka is pretty good on its own, but I thought the results were horrific when water/ice was introduced to them.

When I went to Japan, I picked up a few unknown Whiskey in a Bic Camera store. All of them were around $30-40 CAD around 3-4 years ago and they were all pretty good. The Sapporo tasted like Hibiki lite. There was one that was a bourbon barrel finish with an Owl as a logo that was really nice, but seemingly ahead of its time now that I see what Balvenie is now doing.

I don't disagree with many that Japanese whiskey often not distinct. They seem to like distilling light and balanced whiskeys. The only whiskey from Japan I have truly felt tasted like crap was Helios Pure Malt. It literally tastes like Thailand red bull, ####ty Flintstones vitamins and ash tray.

https://whiskyanalysis.com/index.php...eki-pure-malt/

Whoever reviewed this is full of crap by spinning a "it's non-offensive dessert citrus, mineral, rubber and ash". It tastes like crap you'd mix together at a house party as a punishment shot. I've tried it half a dozen times over the last few years to see if I was just not sophisticated in my taste etc... no it's awful and probably the only whiskey I've ever truly refused to drink.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #896
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some gin suggestions were landing in an alternate thread, but it's a natural fit here. Almost every scotch distillery also makes a gin. They have a very similar drinking demographic.

Gins are almost the summer side of the coin to the winter of scotch. They both have strong flavour profiles, and take some time and dedication to start to peel away the layers. Personally I went from mixing with soda, to tonic, to drinking straight, depending on the bottle and what I want out of it. Very much like the scotch drinking experience.

I actually find that they are so opposite in flavour profiles that they are almost complimentary. If I'm not feeling like a scotch, a gin is way on the other end of the spectrum.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #897
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Over the pandemic I've started an Single-Malt Islay collection. My go to is peated and smoky. I also don't drink blended as something about grain whiskies makes me ill.

I took a chance on Smokehead recently and to my surprise, it was a little too dark and smoky. I personally prefer a young and vibrant peat. I save this, I'm planning to blend it with another single-malt. Maybe I'll go budget and mix it 2:1 with the large Glenfiddich 12 from Costco.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-19-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #898
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glenfiddich 12 is basically mix. Go with the Glenfiddich 15. Big step up, less muddled, bit of smoke.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #899
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

just stick with the peat - what the hell do you want to water it down for?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #900
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
just stick with the peat - what the hell do you want to water it down for?
I've had Smokehead. It's almost as if you would be adding that as the mixer to add peat to another dram. It's not nuanced.