Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #161
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was a bit of a rash decision last night. The phone and edges are so thin I feel like I'm going to drop it each time I pull it out of my pocket. So this should do the trick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=230833763641

10 bucks with shipping included. These quicksand cases seem to have good reviews for other phones. Hopefully you're good with it! I ordered them in black.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #162
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yeah it was a bit of a rash decision last night. The phone and edges are so thin I feel like I'm going to drop it each time I pull it out of my pocket. So this should do the trick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=230833763641

10 bucks with shipping included. These quicksand cases seem to have good reviews for other phones. Hopefully you're good with it! I ordered them in black.
The cases look great and also practical. Especially like the protection offered for the corners of the phones. The price is also very friendly. I must thank you again for ordering me one!

Can't wait to get mine! Please let me know when the cases arrive. Please check you PM inbox for my contact info.

BTW: Growing to like my P1 more each time I use it. Great phone!

Cheers!
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #163
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm loving it too and honestly the screen size is about the same as the Galaxy S3 but it's much thinner and smaller somehow!

And the 'smart keyboard' that was recommended by another android user is amazing. I now have all punctuation, good auto-fill and lets not forget smiley faces all in one keyboard screen! Don't forget to disable keyboard pop-ups.. they're just dumb. You can tap spacebar twice and it will add a period and a space at the end of a sentence. Nice touch. I will be buying the pro version for 2 dollars very soon to get rid of the ad interruptions
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #164
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm loving it too and honestly the screen size is about the same as the Galaxy S3 but it's much thinner and smaller somehow!

And the 'smart keyboard' that was recommended by another android user is amazing. I now have all punctuation, good auto-fill and lets not forget smiley faces all in one keyboard screen! Don't forget to disable keyboard pop-ups.. they're just dumb. You can tap spacebar twice and it will add a period and a space at the end of a sentence. Nice touch. I will be buying the pro version for 2 dollars very soon to get rid of the ad interruptions
4.3 vs 4.8 inch screen size is not about the same. hehe.

Still the Huawei prob gives you the best bang for your buck. I was seriously consider getting it if Wind wasn't going to give the s3 to existing customers. I cracked the hell out of my LGX2 a few months back.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #165
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I looked at the specs after posting and you're right. 12 percent larger. Oh well it's still impressive to me haha
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #166
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I looked at the specs after posting and you're right. 12 percent larger. Oh well it's still impressive to me haha
Ugh. I had to use my wife's puny iphone 4s yesterday. sooo small!

I love my apple fanboy friends, who say "it's the perfect size, anything bigger and it won't fit in my pocket...." and they say it with a straight face! hahahahhaa
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #167
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Ugh. I had to use my wife's puny iphone 4s yesterday. sooo small!

I love my apple fanboy friends, who say "it's the perfect size, anything bigger and it won't fit in my pocket...." and they say it with a straight face! hahahahhaa
LOL, yeah. My HTC Raider is a full inch larger than the 4S at 4.5" and it fits just fine in my back pocket.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #168
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I need someone to help talk me out of moving from Wind to Bell. Scenario is below, I am on Wind and my wife is on Rogers with an iPhone she would like to keep. I would like to get a new Samsung Galaxy S3, and I've ran through how mcuh it would be to stay on Wind or with Bell. The attractive part is Bell is offering a 400 per line port in credit.

I love that I have no contract and cheap service with Wind, but I do sometimes get frustrated when I enter certain locations and drop off suddenly. A good example is downtown on Stephen Ave. I can be walking along outside, go inside for some lunch and lose connection. It would be nice to also be able to take advantage of the Bell 4G and LTE speeds on my new phone.

Existing Cell payments

Me:Wind
40$/month
Unlimited everything
***300$ for Samsung Galaxy S3 on WindTab

Wife:Rogers
75$/month
2.5 years left
500 to break contract

115 per month total, plus 300 for new phone
115 x 36 = 4140
4140 + 300 = 4440

Total cost over 3 years 4440

Proposed Cell payments

Bell
65 per line, 130$/month on two 3-year contracts
130*36= 4680
4680 - 800 port in credit = 3880
3880 + 500 to break Rogers contract = 4380
We get two new Samsung galaxy s3 phones for 100 each.
4380 + 200 = 4580
We can sell one of the s3 phones for approx 450-500 on kijiji
4580 - 500 = 4080

Total cost over 3 years 4080

Bell plan details (each plan has this, and it's shared as well)
$65
- 550 min
- unlimited incoming
- 6pm nights and weekends
- unlimited local plan member talk
- call display
- voice mail
- text message
- 6gb data
- SAF/911 fee waived

Please tell me what I am missing.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #169
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does Bell offer this $400 credit for all consumers or just business owners?

As for your analysis, why are you selling one S3 phone? What phone would your wife use if you did sell the phone? Does she currently have an unlocked phone that she could just bring to Bell? I didn't understand that part.

The cheapest deal would be for your wife to break her contract with Rogers and move to Wind with you. Even with the penalty to break and getting to new phones on Wind, I think the total cost over 3 years would be under $4K.

It sounds like you want to leave Wind though, so the deal with Bell isn't bad considering that you would not be going through retentions. Have you talked with Rogers to see if they could match that deal or beat it outright? If your wife has been with Rogers for a while (if her current contract was a renewal) then she might have some credit built up with them and Rogers might give you two a better deal than Bell.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #170
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Does Bell offer this $400 credit for all consumers or just business owners?

As for your analysis, why are you selling one S3 phone? What phone would your wife use if you did sell the phone? Does she currently have an unlocked phone that she could just bring to Bell? I didn't understand that part.

The cheapest deal would be for your wife to break her contract with Rogers and move to Wind with you. Even with the penalty to break and getting to new phones on Wind, I think the total cost over 3 years would be under $4K.

It sounds like you want to leave Wind though, so the deal with Bell isn't bad considering that you would not be going through retentions. Have you talked with Rogers to see if they could match that deal or beat it outright? If your wife has been with Rogers for a while (if her current contract was a renewal) then she might have some credit built up with them and Rogers might give you two a better deal than Bell.
Hey thanks for the reply.

It is just for Small Business.

She wants to keep her iPhone 4S, which is the main reason for not moving her over to Wind previously, so I was thinking I could just unlock it, and if it works on Rogers it should work on Bell.

Haven't talked to Rogers yet, not sure I want to. I've heard the Bell/Telus network is better in Alberta, plus I never hear anyone say anything good about Rogers billing practices.

Here is the link from RFD http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-...-plan-1114924/
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #171
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, my experience with WIND has not been that great since switching to them. This week I've noticed I cannot receive SMS from specific numbers AT ALL!

I went down to their store, they reset my phone, swtiched sim cards, nothing. We then put the sim card into one of their own phones and I had someone text me from a number that I was having issues with.. nothing.

So off I go to tech support land and they've created a ticket. I honestly think I'm hooped though. I've gone beyond their lame 14 day return policy
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #172
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't that usually a problem with the switch that handles numbers? Is it only from a certain provider that you can't receive them. If those numbers try calling you can they get through?
Can you get one of those numbers to send a text to one of the sales peoples wind phone at the store to see if it works?

Sorry, more questions than answers.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #173
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good call sampsx. This was exactly the case. I switched from telus and they had 'suspended' my account, not cancelled it. As it turns out it was only telus users that I was having issues with. You should get a job with them, lol.

Everything started working again today. Sweet.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #174
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just did an eight-day 'test drive' in Greater Vancouver. The Huawei Ascend P1 performed admirably - battery easily lasted through a day of heavy usage, and everybody complimented on how slim the phone is. Wind Mobile coverage in Vancouver is excellent and on par with what we are getting here in Calgary. I was connected to 'Wind Home' even before my plane touches down at YVR, and managed 4/4 bars and better than 3mbps even in remote New Westminister and Delta.

Made the switch more than a month ago, and my only regret is I did not do it sooner. There is simply no way I could go back to Robellus now.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #175
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little over a year has passed since I signed up, and I have finally discovered a consistently weak coverage area. 11th Ave and 1st Street (Sunterra, Keynote) is where Wind signals go to die.

Just an FYI post, not a huge deal. I am still incredibly happy with my Wind experience.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #176
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i found a dead spot around rundle college on 17th AVE. still really satisfied though.
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #177
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
The cases look great and also practical. Especially like the protection offered for the corners of the phones. The price is also very friendly. I must thank you again for ordering me one!

Can't wait to get mine! Please let me know when the cases arrive. Please check you PM inbox for my contact info.

BTW: Growing to like my P1 more each time I use it. Great phone!

Cheers!
Got the case yesterday. Many thanks to calumniate for his kindness.

The case fits perfectly and the phone is now even more enjoyable to use, and it is ALWAYS so nice to meet another CPer!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #178
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm having some connectivity problems tonight -- no service, in the open air in NW Calgary (university area). This has persisted for the past hour despite multiple restarts on a brand new Galaxy S3. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties?

Edit: problem was with the phone, factory reset fixed it.

Last edited by fleudian; 10-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #179
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

edit: uhh, ignore this
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #180
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Had no problems in Bowness recently