Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #2621
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What travel ban?
It was listed in their article about restrictions. I have no reason to go to Saskatchewan (ever) so I didn’t look into it any further.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #2622
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
The 20 minutes tee time seem extreme. You can only sell 3 tee times in a hour to collect 12 green fees. Let's say you open 12 hours a day, that's only 144 green fees for the entire day. With practically no F&B sale, clubs must jack up the green fees to make up the difference.

Different clubs can handle this differently. It will obviously hit the public courses the most with the green fees, but no F+B sales also means no F+B costs either (aside from the building upkeep and the like) so it offsets there. For some private courses, their F+B operations will have fewer losses than a typical season since most operate at a budgeted loss. Golf-Grab and Go will have to become a popular business model for clubs hoping to get some F+B sales, which might work out a bit.

So the reduced tee access is at least balanced a little by the reduced operating costs (of course the downside of that being much fewer jobs). The government's wage subsidy will be able to help out with the staff they do hire as well.

The key will be for courses to really look at the positives (as cliche as it is). A lot of these reduced costs can potentially carry over into the future. Getting rid of accessories and other superfluous 'services' that have been added proabbly won't be missed much but have a noticeable effect on the bottom line. Same with maintenance and other operational savings that previously didn't seem apparent but now there's a necessity to try new things.

Knowing revenue will be down, trying to think long term: take a bigger hit this year to try and keep things more sustainable long term. Clubs have gotten better at trying to encourage families, it might be worth more clubs offering free golf to juniors under 18 playing with a parent and bigger discounts to the transition group of U25 golfers.

One thing that should be apparent, is that conditions should be pretty good. Later start allowing more recovery time and less wear on the course is good for the turf.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #2623
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The course we typically play in BC is opening up next week with a list of guidelines/regulations a mile long, most of which are common with other courses that are opening. Some items of interest to me:

1. 12 minute tee times. And no starting early if the tee is open (to keep from catching up to groups ahead). And no playing through allowed, so they will supposedly be pretty strict with pace of play.

2. the only washroom open is at the clubhouse so plan ahead!

3. take your cart directly to a designated drop off area for cleaning (after unloading at your vehicle) and you are responsible for taking all your garbage with you.

4. leave ASAP after your round. And don't show up more than 20 minutes prior to your round.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #2624
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
2. the only washroom open is at the clubhouse so plan ahead!

Seems like a good idea... until its not haha.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #2625
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Word on the street is Alberta is going to announce some guidelines that will allow courses here to open soon.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #2626
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Word on the street is Alberta is going to announce some guidelines that will allow courses here to open soon.
I heard that also, with one guy saying an announcement might be today.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #2627
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
The course we typically play in BC is opening up next week with a list of guidelines/regulations a mile long,
Do you still plan to go to BC to golf with the travel ban and anti-AB sentiment brewing right now?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #2628
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you still plan to go to BC to golf with the travel ban and anti-AB sentiment brewing right now?
Unlikely given that the campground we stay at is currently closed so we don't have anywhere to stay. If things open up then I would reconsider. Gold if not the primary reason for the trip, we just like to get in a few rounds while we are in the area.

There is no travel ban that I am aware of.
Yes I know travel is not encouraged.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #2629
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For the sake of argument,eight min times could work.You're either waiting or playing thru.Adopt the escalator courtesy if playing thru.Stay right,play thru left.How much could it really slow it down?The one thing I hope comes out of this is pace of play improves.Keep it tight marshals,members,public.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #2630
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Seems like a good idea... until its not haha.
No pre-round Farmers Wrap and coffee from Tims. Sacrifices for the greater good!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #2631
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Similar to what’s posted above there seems to be a lot of positive communication in the golf industry that this weeks announcement could be a good one...

Here’s to hoping! Any bets on a date? Is May 15 remotely feasible or are we thinking June 1 or later?
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #2632
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Here’s to hoping! Any bets on a date? Is May 15 remotely feasible or are we thinking June 1 or later?
The email from every club I subscribed is saying they are ready to open literally tomorrow. So May 15 is definitely doable.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #2633
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Politics are always present.The optics would not be good for the Calgary zone before June 01.Will other areas be allowed to open sooner?Also politics.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #2634
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

No announcement today. Kenney pushed the relaunch announcement to "later this week" but did mention that our relaunch will be similar to SK's. Hope that still mean May long is possible.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #2635
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No announcement today. Kenney pushed the relaunch announcement to "later this week" but did mention that our relaunch will be similar to SK's. Hope that still mean May long is possible.
Eh I don't know about that, they had May 20th as the peak.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #2636
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

My club in Vancouver opened yesterday with the following stipulations:
  • Everyone has to sign a declaration saying they, and everyone in their household is covid free and has not been in another country for at least 14 days
  • All practice, clubhouse, locker rooms, and food and beverage areas are closed
  • Must be one parking space between cars
  • You cannot get out of your car until 10 minutes before your tee time
  • There are no tees, holes, rakes, or seed
  • Foot rake sand, replace divots, don't touch the flag
  • First person putts out before next person starts
  • No power or pull carts - Carry your own clubs only
  • Groups of 2
  • No guests
  • Maintain 6 feet social distancing
  • 10 minute tee times
  • Leave immediately after round
Apparently it went well enough yesterday that they will expand to groups of 4 starting May 1, with all other rules still in place.

Two of the public courses here are opening soon with similar measures as above. Langara will remain closed as the kitchen and clubhouse are being used to prepare meals for downtown eastside residents. The course is available for people to walk on, as long as they don't hit a golf ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #2637
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
My club in Vancouver opened yesterday with the following stipulations:
  • Everyone has to sign a declaration saying they, and everyone in their household is covid free and has not been in another country for at least 14 days
  • All practice, clubhouse, locker rooms, and food and beverage areas are closed
  • Must be one parking space between cars
  • You cannot get out of your car until 10 minutes before your tee time
  • There are no tees, holes, rakes, or seed
  • Foot rake sand, replace divots, don't touch the flag
  • First person putts out before next person starts
  • No power or pull carts - Carry your own clubs only
  • Groups of 2
  • No guests
  • Maintain 6 feet social distancing
  • 10 minute tee times
  • Leave immediately after round
Apparently it went well enough yesterday that they will expand to groups of 4 starting May 1, with all other rules still in place.

Two of the public courses here are opening soon with similar measures as above. Langara will remain closed as the kitchen and clubhouse are being used to prepare meals for downtown eastside residents. The course is available for people to walk on, as long as they don't hit a golf ball.
Could you bring your own pullcart I wonder?
Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #2638
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'm guessing it's a high end course that doesn't have a lot of seniors as members. I can understand no power carts but no push or pull carts from members seems a tod over the top.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #2639
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Yes. Per the email: Push carts and power carts are not available for use. Members may bring their own push cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'm guessing it's a high end course that doesn't have a lot of seniors as members. I can understand no power carts but no push or pull carts from members seems a tod over the top.
It's an expensive private club, but there are definitely lots of seniors. They are the ones that have money. All the private clubs in Vancouver have a high average age. About 5 years ago they all realized it and had to do membership drives because there weren't enough members coming in to pay monthly dues with the older ones retiring from the club or dying.

A follow up after a couple days of operations:

Why are we not allowing the use of the club's push carts? Can someone not disinfect them like a grocery cart?

The club's push carts have several touch points with various types of surfaces (rubber handle, plastic compartments, metal frame and mesh bags). Hard surfaces and porous surfaces must be disinfected differently and we are getting professional consultation to see if there is a way to fully disinfect the cart properly in a timely fashion.

The course is fairly flat for the first 13 holes. The last five there are some hikes up and down. A few older members use the push carts for the first nine holes and rent a power cart for the last nine. I still don't like carrying my own clubs and I'm in reasonably fit shape. I think this policy at our club will get changed. There are seniors and there are those who have trouble walking. There are about 5 members I see who regularly carry their own clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #2640
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Yes. Per the email: Push carts and power carts are not available for use. Members may bring their own push cart.
hunh?
Quote:
No power or pull carts - Carry your own clubs only
Carry to me means a carry bag strapped onto your shoulders

Last edited by DuffMan; 04-29-2020 at 07:30 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow