Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #2101
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

They are Happy Meal grade since the Blancpains all look like goofy kids toys: https://www.swatch.com/en-ca/biocera...y-fathoms.html

At least with Moonswatch they had Mercury and Moon which were pretty sophisticated/authentic looking.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #2102
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't justify paying $350 for a cheaply made plastic Moonswatch when, for another $300 more, you can get an automatic Seiko 5 Sport that's like 10 times better build quality.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:26 PM   #2103
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I can't justify paying $350 for a cheaply made plastic Moonswatch when, for another $300 more, you can get an automatic Seiko 5 Sport that's like 10 times better build quality.
$50 less can get you a Seiko 5 Sport

I think mine were all like $250 or $299 - but I don't wear them anymore. I have to say the Moonswatch somehow has more wrist presence.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:27 PM   #2104
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of all these Omegas, I also went the Chrono24 route back in July and bought myself a couple of watches from Japanese dealers since the YEN-CAD exchange rate was so good back then.

Ended up with two watches; an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich ref. 3573.50 and a Grand Seiko Spring Drive SGBA003. Like TorqueDog and others have said the experience with the Japanese dealers was excellent. Everything showed up as described. I ended up with duties on the Omega and luckily somehow escaped having to pay that on the Grand Seiko. The dealers used DHL and Fedex for the Omega and the Grand Seiko respectively. DHL ended up being a nightmare and the watch got stuck in customs for almost a week and half while I tried to deal with their mess of a customs clearing service. Had to call in 3 times and resubmit the customs paperwork that many. Almost tried to just clear the thing myself with the back and forth on the paper work with DHL. Grand Seiko was overnighted and showed up on my doorstep within a couple of days. Both had "free" shipping or had worked it into their price.

Overall, incredibly happy with the experience buying from Japan and with both watches I ended up picking up.

Anyways to the shots for the Omega Speedy.
Spoiler!

Grand Seiko Spring Drive
Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-20-2023 at 04:49 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #2105
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn,

1. Beautiful timepieces! My Speedy Moonwatch Hesalite Sandwich ref. 3752.50 says hello.
2. Your experience mirrored mine in terms of which courier delivery experience and duties payable; I had to pay duties on my Omega Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph that was shipped through DHL, and it took a week to clear customs (and *I* had to provide additional paperwork). I was so antsy for the damn thing to arrive.

The Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Chronograph that I purchased for my dad, however, was shipped via FedEx, required zero action on my part to clear customs, no duties were payable, and the thing seemingly arrived overnight from Japan. I was caught off-guard that it arrived as quickly as it did.

Both sellers offered free shipping, but knowing how the experience differs between the two, I will definitely be reaching out to sellers to see if they can ship FedEx over DHL next time.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-20-2023 at 04:22 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #2106
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a GS in my collection, but also want to visit Japan for the first time so I think I'll buy one there in person when that trip actually happens.
The SBGM221 has always interested me.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #2107
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
FlameOn,

1. Beautiful timepieces! My Speedy Moonwatch Hesalite Sandwich ref. 3752.50 says hello.
2. Your experience mirrored mine in terms of which courier delivery experience and duties payable; I had to pay duties on my Omega Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph that was shipped through DHL, and it took a week to clear customs (and *I* had to provide additional paperwork). I was so antsy for the damn thing to arrive.

The Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Chronograph that I purchased for my dad, however, was shipped via FedEx, required zero action on my part to clear customs, no duties were payable, and the thing seemingly arrived overnight from Japan. I was caught off-guard that it arrived as quickly as it did.

Both sellers offered free shipping, but knowing how the experience differs between the two, I will definitely be reaching out to sellers to see if they can ship FedEx over DHL next time.
Yay Team Speedy! I just love the history behind the watch and the Apollo Missions, dream was to get one of the mission specific special editions but they ended up being a tad outside my budget.

So anxious when the Speedy was stuck in DHL customs hell, definitely check for your next order if they will do Fedex. I noticed some dealers specifically say you don't get a choice of which courier they use tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I want a GS in my collection, but also want to visit Japan for the first time so I think I'll buy one there in person when that trip actually happens.
The SBGM221 has always interested me.
No other mechanical watch comes close to how smooth the Spring Drive second hand sweep is. The dials and finishings on the GSs are also something else. Just look at the detail on the SBGA413, the SBGA387, and the SBGH267, they almost look like an art piece. Would definitely be a good souvenir from a trip to Japan.

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 05:23 PM   #2108
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of Speedy's, James Bond had an unreleased white dial speedmaster on at the Planet Omega event last week about a week ago.
Looks to be an upcoming 2024 release.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #2109
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who got a new watch for the holidays that they care to share?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:17 PM   #2110
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treated myself to a new watch this Christmas. Well, new to me (watch is from 1999 lol). First time using Chrono24. After reading some very helpful advice in this thread, decided to bite the bullet and get one from Japan. Decided to get my first Omega watch (3511.50). I have a smaller wrist, so the 39mm dial was perfect for me.

https://www.chrono24.ca/omega/speedm...id32280822.htm

(Not this particular seller, but same watch). Must say, with the exchange rate, Japanese dealers are the way to go right now. And they take care of their stuff. The watch looked almost brand new.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2023, 02:24 PM   #2111
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those Japanese model Speedmasters are a nice option to have, and Japanese sellers are typically flush with nicely maintained inventory. The 3521.30 I bought for my dad back in 2016 was a steal and in phenomenal shape.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM   #2112
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

seiko 7s26-0020 007

Recently got this, and and apparently it's got a bit of history. Maybe not this specific watch, but the model in particular.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #2113
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
At that price point, its OK to get both as they fill two very different niches/aesthetics in your collection. Just be sure to swap out those terrible OEM straps.

I've got a few moonswatches now because my kids like getting them for me as gifts, which I like because they are actually fun and interesting to look at. They get more wrist time than "horologically superior" watches in my collection because of that emotional connection (the kiddos go happy amazeballz seeing dad wearing their moonswatch to work), but also because of that casual amusment with alot of character.

Maybe I'm alone and wrong, but I'm actually slightly more stoked about getting the new white snoopy Moonswatch then getting that eventual call from the Rolex AD.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:52 AM   #2114
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got a moonswatch for Christmas from the kids as well. Bought leather and rubber straps for it. The strap really does make it look and feel better. I just wish it had a real crystal but plastic is a Swatch thing. I've already put a scratch in it that doesn't want to buff out.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:14 AM   #2115
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I got some decent scratches too but I guess thats part of the charm and homage to the hesalite dome.

Which straps did you get?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:29 AM   #2116
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Yeah I got some decent scratches too but I guess thats part of the charm and homage to the hesalite dome.

Which straps did you get?
Just from Amazon. A charcoal leather one with white stitching that matches pretty perfectly and a lighter grey rubber one if I want it to look a little sportier.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #2117
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Snoopy Moonswatch is awesome. I know it's gonna be a PITA to get; but it's finally one I'd love to have.

Also liking the new white dial speedmaster professional.

And lastly Blancpain has made their Fifty Fathoms in a 42mm; after years of only being a massive 45 or limited editions in 40mm.
That's my favorite dive watch and a 42mm just might be needed in my collection soon.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:12 PM   #2118
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
seiko 7s26-0020 007

Recently got this, and and apparently it's got a bit of history. Maybe not this specific watch, but the model in particular.
Inspired me to put on the SKX007 today but I remembered why I don't wear it. the 7s26 is really ***** and it gained like 10 minutes in 6 hours today.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:33 PM   #2119
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Inspired me to put on the SKX007 today but I remembered why I don't wear it. the 7s26 is really ***** and it gained like 10 minutes in 6 hours today.
Lmao same. Took me a while to realize it wasn't Wednesday 10:38 pm anymore

It was actually Friday 4pm.

PuckSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:07 PM   #2120
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is the SKX007 is that wildly inaccurate as it ages? I have the SKX009 and I don't recall ever seeing it that badly off before.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote