It's a hard R

so thats a hard no
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #1884
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

From the reviews I’ve read, it’s hard to know what the overall sentiment is going to be on Joker. It’ll definitely stand out from a comic-book movie angle, but reviews from conventional critics seem to range from “very good but admittedly divisive” to “idiotic”
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #1885
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Hmm. Weird. Even reading reviews can give vastly different impressions.

I’ve seen reviews that range from possible Oscar noms to not bad. Only saw one bad review that focused on some bizarre incel BS but given the author I’m not surprised.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #1886
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's currently 87% on Rotten tomatoes and a 75 on meta critic with 6 perfect reviews. The IGN review video posted above is already at 2 million views . This movie is going to be huge.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #1887
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It's currently 87% on Rotten tomatoes and a 75 on meta critic with 6 perfect reviews. The IGN review video posted above is already at 2 million views . This movie is going to be huge.
That’s kind of what I’m saying. Neither an 87% on RT nor a 75 on meta are particularly impressive. There was some talk that this movie would transcend a sort of “comic-book movie audience,” but it seems like that’s where the bulk of the unchecked hype is coming from.

I think it’ll do well. As well as It or Deadpool? Hard to say.

I love Joaquin Phoenix, the character is iconic, but I have about zero trust in Todd Phillips to do anything beyond a dumb popcorn flick, so we’ll see (when I watch it opening day, of course).
Old 09-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #1888
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s kind of what I’m saying. Neither an 87% on RT nor a 75 on meta are particularly impressive. There was some talk that this movie would transcend a sort of “comic-book movie audience,” but it seems like that’s where the bulk of the unchecked hype is coming from.

I think it’ll do well. As well as It or Deadpool? Hard to say.

I love Joaquin Phoenix, the character is iconic, but I have about zero trust in Todd Phillips to do anything beyond a dumb popcorn flick, so we’ll see (when I watch it opening day, of course).
From what I've gathered most of the hype has been from geek sites and most of the perfect reviews come from those sites, so maybe this will be popular there but less so outside of geek culture?
Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #1889
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
From the reviews I’ve read, it’s hard to know what the overall sentiment is going to be on Joker. It’ll definitely stand out from a comic-book movie angle, but reviews from conventional critics seem to range from “very good but admittedly divisive” to “idiotic”
This is what I'm thinking as well. Its a hard character, overall.

I thought Nolan did well to portray both the psychopathy as well as the effectiveness as a criminal and goal-oriented insanity.

One thing thats going to be difficult for avid fans is the removal of Batman considering that by and large he was the Joker's primary impetus and motivation.

I'm certainly interested in this film though, I think it'll be a good watch and either way it should get us away from DCEU's propensity for relentlessly and incessantly punching their way to nowhere.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #1890
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw the DCU and the MCU and the starwarsU. Just give us a Batman related film every year for the next 50 years. There are so many good stories to be told.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #1891
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The Joker movie is gonna be a bible to incels. I would guess, 2 mass shootings related to it?

Sad and gross where we are trending in some corners of our society.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #1892
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The Joker movie is gonna be a bible to incels. I would guess, 2 mass shootings related to it?

Remember when people blamed Marilyn Manson for the Columbine shootings? I don't get this argument, movies, music and video games do not cause mass shootings. If they did, more countries than just the USA would have them more regularly.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #1893
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Idiots will always find something to justify their twisted views.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #1894
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Remember when people blamed Marilyn Manson for the Columbine shootings? I don't get this argument, movies, music and video games do not cause mass shootings. If they did, more countries than just the USA would have them more regularly.
Do they cause them in entirety? Probably not. Access to weapons, access to radical ideologies at the tip of your fingers, lack of parenting, etc.

They are all factors. And sometimes a movie like this can really polarize someone who sees themselves (incels) in a popular character.

Are we forgetting already the colorado theatre shooting last time there was a compelling Joker character onscreen?

I am not blaming the movie. I am blaming the polarization and radicalization of our fragile North American culture.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #1895
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Idiots will always find something to justify their twisted views.
For a second I thought I was in one of the political threads.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #1896
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they cause them in entirety? Probably not. Access to weapons, access to radical ideologies at the tip of your fingers, lack of parenting, etc.

They are all factors. And sometimes a movie like this can really polarize someone who sees themselves (incels) in a popular character.

Are we forgetting already the colorado theatre shooting last time there was a compelling Joker character onscreen?

I am not blaming the movie. I am blaming the polarization and radicalization of our fragile North American culture.
As said before, people will always find something to justify their ####ty behavior. I don't think we should censor movies because of what might happen, or how someone might react to it. Hopefully nothing like that happens when this movie is released. Something could have happened when a movie like Fight Club was released or Silence of the Lambs but as far as I remember nothing did. We shouldn't let the fear of something happening dictate what is and is not acceptable to be made.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #1897
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Oh man, this is supposed to be the fun sci-fi movie thread. Take your mass shooting theories to the mass shooting thread.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #1898
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Not to further derail this thread, but is it worth pointing out that the Joker has never been an Incel? In this movie his love interest is Zazie Beetz. Typically, however, he has Harley Quinn.

Also "trending"? Joker looks to have almost the exact same tone and a very similar plot to "Taxi Driver". which was released in 1976.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #1899
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As said before, people will always find something to justify their ####ty behavior. I don't think we should censor movies because of what might happen, or how someone might react to it. Hopefully nothing like that happens when this movie is released. Something could have happened when a movie like Fight Club was released or Silence of the Lambs but as far as I remember nothing did. We shouldn't let the fear of something happening dictate what is and is not acceptable to be made.
Pretty sure it did. In terms of underground fight clubs not bombing Visa (spoiler alert from 1999).

Movies do inspire, thats part of story-telling but again I'm not one to blame movies or video games or anything of that nature for people's behaviour. Thats just a weak excuse.

Same with things like drinking or smoking. Watching Chernobyl did not inspire me to run off and buy a pack of darts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #1900
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not to further derail this thread, but is it worth pointing out that the Joker has never been an Incel? In this movie his love interest is Zazie Beetz. Typically, however, he has Harley Quinn.

Also "trending"? Joker looks to have almost the exact same tone and a very similar plot to "Taxi Driver". which was released in 1976.
But "there's never really been another movie like it"!

Kidding. I think what WY is saying is that people will use Joker as "inspiration" for the dumb violent #### they were going to do anyway. Which is probably true.

Doesn't mean the film is at fault or that films like it shouldn't get made. At least, I would hope that's not what WY is saying.