Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #21
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you feel like putting Petterson at 20 was pandering? For sure Getzlaf and Kopitar are better than Petterson for now.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #22
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Generally I agree with the list. I think Kuznetsov is too high. Monahan could be potentially higher than Kuznetsov and Couture. I think Matthews is a bit high too. I could see him around #8 or #9.
Couturier needs to be on this list, and Malkin is slightly lower than I would have expected him to be as well.
I'd trade Monahan for couture in a heartbeat. He elevates his game in playoffs almost every year. Kuznetsov is better than Monahan too
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #23
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure I’d have Monahan on this list at all tbh. Seems pretty generous to me.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I'd trade Monahan for couture in a heartbeat. He elevates his game in playoffs almost every year. Kuznetsov is better than Monahan too
Hence I said potentially. I guess I should have used the word arguably. I think Monahan is good at the position he is at. Personally, I would have put Couture and Kuznetsov below Monahan. At the same time, I would have put Couturier, Toews (maybe even Kopitar) ahead of him.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Do you feel like putting Petterson at 20 was pandering? For sure Getzlaf and Kopitar are better than Petterson for now.
Pandering was exactly my thought. He is a talented kid, but he is not in the discussion for the top 20 Cs in the NHL at this point. Not even close.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Not sure I’d have Monahan on this list at all tbh. Seems pretty generous to me.
12th in points among Cs last year

14th in points over the last 3 years

13th in points over the last 5 years

Points aren't everything obviously, but when you're consistently among the league leaders, it counts for a lot.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Hence I said potentially. I guess I should have used the word arguably. I think Monahan is good at the position he is at. Personally, I would have put Couture and Kuznetsov below Monahan. At the same time, I would have put Couturier, Toews (maybe even Kopitar) ahead of him.
And my comments are based on the fact I dont think there is an argument to be had. Kuznetsov maybe couture not a chance.

Did you watch MacKinnon have a temper tantrum nightly facing him? The same MacKinnon who skated circles around the flames? Throw on top couture 97 points in his last 101 playoff games I'd take him over Monahan. Hes the new Bergeron. A player who is very under appreciated due to his lack of big point totals in regular season.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #28
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
A few years back maybe
He had 81 points last year, #14 on the list of centres.

Add in his defensive play etc. and he's clearly should have made the top 20.

I'm not sure that there is anything that Pettersson does better than Toews right now when it comes to hockey.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was the opening line of the article

“Winning important face-offs, leading rushes up the ice, and setting up teammates are hallmarks of a top center”

19th for Monahan is generous at best. He can get to his spot and score when someone feeds him the puck. He should not even be on this list though. Without looking up FO percentages id even argue Lindholm should be ahead of him based on that criteria.
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShotDownInFlames12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #30
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post
This was the opening line of the article

“Winning important face-offs, leading rushes up the ice, and setting up teammates are hallmarks of a top center”

19th for Monahan is generous at best. He can get to his spot and score when someone feeds him the puck. He should not even be on this list though. Without looking up FO percentages id even argue Lindholm should be ahead of him based on that criteria.

Saying you have poor judgement is generous at best.

Last edited by Redrum; 08-06-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #31
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
12th in points among Cs last year

14th in points over the last 3 years

13th in points over the last 5 years

Points aren't everything obviously, but when you're consistently among the league leaders, it counts for a lot.

He’s a pretty good trigger man and that’s about it IMO. A great #2 centre on a true contender.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #32
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Draisaitl no longer a C?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, some pretty aggressive takes there... Barkov at 4th is pretty bold, but honestly, probably fair. Tavares AHEAD of Matthews? Dramatic! Point as the 10th best in the league? Possibly too soon to say that much. They certainly have the clickbait aspect of this concept nailed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #34
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
He’s a pretty good trigger man and that’s about it IMO. A great #2 centre on a true contender.
*sigh*

Go back and watch AC’s Gaudreau highlight videos. Monahan is actually very good at carrying and distributing the puck, and is most certainly MUCH more than merely a “pretty good trigger man.”

When will Monahan ever get the credit he is due?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So Draisaitl no longer a C?
Not really. He plays predominantly on McDavid’s wing, and seldom ever carries his own line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #36
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
*sigh*

Go back and watch AC’s Gaudreau highlight videos. Monahan is actually very good at carrying and distributing the puck, and is most certainly MUCH more than merely a “pretty good trigger man.”

When will Monahan ever get the credit he is due?

What credit is he due? He's one of the best in the league at one thing, scoring from 10 feet in. He's not one of the best at all the other things. He does his one thing very very well.

He's not a strong skater. He's an average playmaker (I guess). He's not a strong defensive player. He's the opposite of physical. He's above average on faceoffs.

He is what he is, but that's not a top end center.

If the games on the line and Gaudreau isn't on his line, I probably want any of those other players on the ice for my team over him in that situation.

That said, by all means I hope he shows something else/more moving forward.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Neither Monahan nor Gaudreau are great defensively by any stretch, but Monahan had 48 assists last year and is a sneaky good playmaker.

Also, Monahan is a strong scorer from 0-5 feet in... and 10.. and 20... and 30... and to the left of the net. There are fewer better scorers.

Maybe the ideal situation is to have two Monahan-like centres in the top-six, but that's not realistic for many teams. The Flames spent 18 years looking for a centre like Sean Monahan, and now they have him at a very reasonable salary. He's not especially flashy, but it's not like he makes a ton of mistakes, either.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #38
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think some people who watch the Flames just don’t get it. Monahan isn’t on the same level as Crosby or McDavid, but he’s still a really good player. He’s being paid a very fair salary. He’s absolutely 100% a top line centre.

It’s beyond frustrating trying to argue with the people that don’t like him because they throw out arbitrary statements like “he’s not elite” (which is entirely subjective as if we’re being honest every NHL player is elite) but don’t really provide any stats that back it up. The stats would actually suggest that he’s among the best centres in the world. No, he’s not flashy, and yes, he could use his size a lot more, but those aren’t big enough negatives to warrant trashing him like some fans do.

But because he had a bad stretch in April (like 20 other guys on the team did) he’s a second line centre in some people’s minds. Ignore the over a point-per-game season he just had. Ignore that only 11 centres (10 really, as Draisaitl isn’t a centre in my books) outscored him. He’s just average.

Again, some people just don’t understand.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 AM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
When I was browsing nhl.com the story right under it was the centres on the bubble for the top 20

Toews, Barzal, Duchense, Couturier and Larkin.

No Kopitar in the top 25 who went from #6 going into last season to missing the list in 2019.

On Aug 18 it will be interesting where they slot Gio in the top 20 defensemen. He missed the list last year ... Hamilton came in at #18.
Just goes to show how much these writers know. They're just going off their very short memories rather than weighing qualities of players from a career scope. There's also a lot of personal bias and fandom that inevitably factors in. Like these McDavid scabs that see a fast guy with quick hands and immediately decide to overlook the other facets of his game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #40
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's mildly surprising to note while Monahan wasn't anywhere near for the Flames what MacKinnon was for the Avs, that over the Colorado series he had 2 points and was a +1, while playing 18-22 minutes of ice time in the four losses.

I guess it was mainly the shutdown line that got the brunt of the beat down.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote