Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 12:08 PM   #7781
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been playing Crudader Kings 3 lately, and really, really loving it. Such a fun combination of storytelling/drama and strategy.

My current playthrough is just wild. The Grand Karelian empire has united almost all of the Ukonusko peoples and driven catholicism almost completely out of the Nordics, and the Baltic Sea is basically a Karelian Mare Nostrum.

My dynasty is lead by a coven of witches, and the current emperor is a ladies man who first imprisoned and then seduced the crown princess of Sweden so he could get an heir with a claim to the Swedish throne.

The previous empress and her aunt, both massively overweight women in their fifties, fought a personal duel over the crown, which in part was fueled by the empress having deep love affair with one of her uncles that started when she was a teenager.

When that same empress reformed the Ukonusko religion to be accepting of same sex relations, her daughter immediately divorced her husband of 15 years and took 3 female concubines Good thing there was already an heir in the next generation.

I also conquered Lithuania basically by accident.

Next up, trying to deal with the Mongol horde...

Last edited by Itse; 04-21-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:30 PM   #7782
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I've been playing Crudader Kings 3 lately, and really, really loving it. Such a fun combination of storytelling/drama and strategy.

My current playthrough is just wild. The Grand Karelian empire has united almost all of the Ukonusko peoples and driven catholicism almost completely out of the Nordics, and the Baltic Sea is basically a Karelian Mare Nostrum.

My dynasty is lead by a coven of witches, and the current emperor is a ladies man who first imprisoned and then seduced the crown princess of Sweden so he could get an heir with a claim to the Swedish throne.

The previous empress and her aunt, both massively overweight women in their fifties, fought a personal duel over the crown, which in part was fueled by the empress having deep love affair with one of her uncles that started when she was a teenager.

When that same empress reformed the Ukonusko religion to be accepting of same sex relations, her daughter immediately divorced her husband of 15 years and took 3 female concubines Good thing there was already an heir in the next generation.

I also conquered Lithuania basically by accident.

Next up, trying to deal with the Mongol horde...
I own the game for PS5. Tried playing 3 times and just can't understand what I'm supposed to do. The learning curve is so high
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #7783
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I own the game for PS5. Tried playing 3 times and just can't understand what I'm supposed to do. The learning curve is so high
I get it, but here's some tips on case someone (maybe you) finds them helpful

- Roleplaying is your friend. It's okay to be a clueless ruler

- Making decisions you end up regretting is inevitable. It's just part of being a ruler.

- I still don't know how exactly a lot of the mechanics work, but it doesn't really matter, you don't generally have to know the rules to play and even succeed quite well. It's very much a game you learn as you play. It took me forever to get even the basics of how cultural development works for example. Didn't really hurt the game that much. You can't focus on everything anyway.

- The basic idea is pretty simple: you play as a dynasty. While you only control one member of your dynasty at a time, when that character dies you just move to play your heir, and then their heir, etc. Mostly you have very limited control over who your heir is.

- Many things in this game take literally multiple generations to play out, and a lot of things will only be available much later on in the game.

- This is very much a "set your own goals" kind of game, but generally you try to bring more land under the rule of your dynasty. The two main ways to do this are warfare, which is very simple (declare a war, pick a piece of land you want to conquer, press "raise all armies", move them where you want to fight, fight until the war is +100% which is when you win, or -100% which is when you lose), or through marriages and children (which is way more complicated). You can let the AI move troops if you're not sure what to do. The AI is stupid, but it does know the rules

- Common sense actually helps a lot. Also, knowing the basics of feudal systems.

- Use the tooltip a lot

- Main thing: you want other characters to either like you or fear you (dread). Generally, it's a lot easier to be liked. You especially want your most powerful vassals to like you, and your council. You're liked by someone when the number on top of that character is green.

- It's pretty hard to "lose" the game, but it's very common to suffer setbacks. Especially if you don't know what you're doing, you will lose wars, your kingdom will split apart, someone will murder your character etc. That only means that your next character will have a more difficult starting position... but since the game kind of gets more complex as your empire grows, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just let the story of your dynasty happen.

- It's normal that when you switch characters, everything is on fire for a while. The previous ruler just died, and those are tumultuous times

- It's normal for stuff to be going on you don't really get. Your vassals and people in your court have their own agendas, most of which you don't know about.

- It's normal for things to happen that you weren't prepared for. Rebellions happen, assassinations happen, etc.

- You can even switch to a completely different character from a different dynasty, but on the same map/playthrough. You might try that if feel that your dynasty sucks or you messed up. Pick a neighbour and play as them, pick the Holy Roman Empire if you want to feel big.

- Look at suggestions a lot, and also check out available Decisions.

- Use Pause a lot, it helps to take your time before making decisions. Also use the speed variation. During wars you generally want to slow things down so you react to things, but sometimes you want to just let years fly by without doing much

- I also play on the PS5, and unfortunately the console UI is a bit buggy and generally not the best.

Last edited by Itse; 04-22-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 12:21 PM   #7784
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought CK3 on sale a few months ago and was my next game after finishing with HOI4 (which i love).

Tried a couple times and couldnt get into it, but i know i will love it once i do.

Currently working on Vanilla Anno1800 wondering if i should drop a few hundred bucks on all the DLCs for that
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:07 PM   #7785
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I bought CK3 on sale a few months ago and was my next game after finishing with HOI4 (which i love).

Tried a couple times and couldnt get into it, but i know i will love it once i do.

Currently working on Vanilla Anno1800 wondering if i should drop a few hundred bucks on all the DLCs for that
The DLCs were all worth the money to me. Well, except it cratered my productivity because all I wanted to was play for weeks
Old 04-22-2024, 02:55 PM   #7786
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The DLCs were all worth the money to me. Well, except it cratered my productivity because all I wanted to was play for weeks
That's what i am worried about...

Will have to wait for the sale, as last time i looked it was over $400 for all the DLC (including beautification ones).

Any mods worth having?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:57 PM   #7787
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
That's what i am worried about...

Will have to wait for the sale, as last time i looked it was over $400 for all the DLC (including beautification ones).

Any mods worth having?
That seems like a lot. I bought the seasons over a few months. The airship one was really cool. The African one was ok. I didn't buy beautification ones as I didn't care about any of that stuff
Old 04-22-2024, 10:57 PM   #7788
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote