Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #921
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They name the race of a creature that looks like squid, "mon calamari". The least they could have done was something like, "we're fried!" or a battle cry of "tzatziki!"
The guy who tries to sell Obi-Wan drugs in Episode II is actually named 'Elan Sleazabaggano' -- George was trying real hard on that one.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #922
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Best Star Wars name ever though. In SWTOR in one of the flashpoints at the very end the boss is a 10 foot tall monster augmented cyborg and his name is Stivastin

It took me like a year to figure that one out

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #923
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I see a friend or coworker wearing really big over-the-ear headphones, I call them Lobot.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #924
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Whenever I see a friend or coworker wearing really big over-the-ear headphones, I call them Lobot.
Who doesnt?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #925
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see this in here yet but lots of inside stuff here:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 AM   #926
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Didn't see this in here yet but lots of inside stuff here:

And this is why there needed to be people on the editing team who weren’t massive Star Wars nerds who could put a check on these terrible ideas.

I love Star Wars, but I seriously don’t need a call out to every peripheral part of the universe, especially when it’s hamfisted and rammed down my throat in a very obvious and stupid manner.

Blurgh. I hate this movie. What a waste of a chance to really develop a fantastic story started in The Force Awakens.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #927
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

None of those insider references had any tangible affect on the plot or pacing of the movie. Including them is not why you didn't like the movie. You didn't even know they were there.

If the writer and director and editor were the ones obsessing about these little details and ignoring the plot, pacing and script then you might have a point. But it wasn't. It was a separate team of nerds.

That doesn't make the movie good. It just isn't the reason you think it was bad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #928
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, this is brilliant.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #929
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
None of those insider references had any tangible affect on the plot or pacing of the movie. Including them is not why you didn't like the movie. You didn't even know they were there.

If the writer and director and editor were the ones obsessing about these little details and ignoring the plot, pacing and script then you might have a point. But it wasn't. It was a separate team of nerds.

That doesn't make the movie good. It just isn't the reason you think it was bad.
The gold dice, it was jarring and annoying, as if I was supposed to know what this was. Its a very obscure reference and was done completely silly. They put some significance into something as if we were all supposed to know what the hell it meant. I mean, obviously it was call out to Han and had a pretty important part of an important scene. But it was stupid, much like the rest of that horribly executed movie.

The steam robot coming down like a landing ship, was stupid and again, jarring. And honestly I was like, "WTF was that?" when it happened.

The director is a moron, thats the end of it. He thought he was being clever and just straight up ruined the movie, from my perspective.

Such a mess of a movie. Ok, done being annoyed!

Or am I...
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #930
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The gold dice, it was jarring and annoying, as if I was supposed to know what this was. Its a very obscure reference and was done completely silly. They put some significance into something as if we were all supposed to know what the hell it meant. I mean, obviously it was call out to Han and had a pretty important part of an important scene. But it was stupid, much like the rest of that horribly executed movie.

The steam robot coming down like a landing ship, was stupid and again, jarring. And honestly I was like, "WTF was that?" when it happened.

The director is a moron, thats the end of it. He thought he was being clever and just straight up ruined the movie, from my perspective.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally loved those little moments. I thought the steam robot gag was pretty funny, and it got a big laugh from the audience in the theatre I was in.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #931
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 20 minute episodes in Clone Wars that have a deeper and better storyline than the Last Jedi, a blockbuster movie.

I've never signed an online petition in my life. But it crossed my mind to sign that petition to remove this movie from canon haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #932
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There are 20 minute episodes in Clone Wars that have a deeper and better storyline than the Last Jedi, a blockbuster movie.

I've never signed an online petition in my life. But it crossed my mind to sign that petition to remove this movie from canon haha.
At this point, Canon is what they make of it, and if Disney wants to reinvent what's Star Wars or not that's their business.

The one thing that's happened especially on the Disney Animated side is that Filoni has slowly integrated Legends EU with the new Star Wars universe.

Thrawn, Revan, Bane all were integrated into the new universe as well as a bunch of the bounty hunters from the Clone Wars that had been old EU.

I still really believe that Disney is trying to invent their own Star Wars universe that's more shallow, and casual friendly then the GFFA envisioned by Lucas, you can also see that in the books that have been released that are far less dense and less lore friendly then the legends EU stuff. Their also fairly poorly written as they bought in a new group of writers who just aren't as strong as the original EU core writers.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #933
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm a lore nerd, and probably the biggest reason I was attracted to Star Wars in the first place.

I can stomach the prequels (in fact, I flat out like ep III) because they integrate the SW lore that I crave. The last Jedi is just an action movie, and not a very good one at that. It's only saving grace was the Yoda scene IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its shifted to Star Wars light.

When Lucas made the OT and the PT, he was pretty much independent, he could tell the story that he wanted, after ANH he identified his market of pretty much SW's fans, and he played to that. The growing nerd segment that wanted a lot of lore and a universe to play in.

Disney has never really wanted to market that way, they want their movies to appeal to the masses, they want more then Star Wars fans, and I bet somewhere they have a spreadsheet that compares the market of Star Wars fans, with the market of people that want a popcorny action flick, and they decided that they wanted to cater to the later one.

So that made them to decide to do what I think is a Star Wars lite reboot. they took the original trilogy story lines and used those as the bones of their new universe, but they made flater more 2 dimensional character that were easier to understand and easier for the casual fan to get behind of boo.

you couldn't really shock the world twice with a Vader, but they gave us a more understandible blacker character in Kylo Ren and to make sure that we understood that he was a villain he slaughtered a incredibly popular Lucas character.

He gave us Rey, but no real depth to it, in fact that went out of the way to remove the depth of her character in the last jedi. they had Poe a rebellious super pilot with maturity issues and Finn who really is frankly nothing but a cut out rogue hero.

I'm certainly not saying that I hate these movies, I like parts of them, but they're certainly not movies that get you interested in any kind of lore or exploration of the universe, and they don't have much in the way of rewatchibility.

They're a plug and play franchise now.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #935
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I can stomach the prequels (in fact, I flat out like ep III) because they integrate the SW lore that I crave.

You can actually stomach the prequels? That's a strong constitution you've got there, my friend. Those flicks are awful.

The Last Jedi is a superior film in every way. Sure, it's not spectacular, and there were a couple of scenes that bugged me. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it as good as the original trilogy? Nope. But I thought it was pretty solid and easily on par with TFA.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #936
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its shifted to Star Wars light.

When Lucas made the OT and the PT, he was pretty much independent, he could tell the story that he wanted, after ANH he identified his market of pretty much SW's fans, and he played to that. The growing nerd segment that wanted a lot of lore and a universe to play in.

Disney has never really wanted to market that way, they want their movies to appeal to the masses, they want more then Star Wars fans, and I bet somewhere they have a spreadsheet that compares the market of Star Wars fans, with the market of people that want a popcorny action flick, and they decided that they wanted to cater to the later one.

So that made them to decide to do what I think is a Star Wars lite reboot. they took the original trilogy story lines and used those as the bones of their new universe, but they made flater more 2 dimensional character that were easier to understand and easier for the casual fan to get behind of boo.

you couldn't really shock the world twice with a Vader, but they gave us a more understandible blacker character in Kylo Ren and to make sure that we understood that he was a villain he slaughtered a incredibly popular Lucas character.

He gave us Rey, but no real depth to it, in fact that went out of the way to remove the depth of her character in the last jedi. they had Poe a rebellious super pilot with maturity issues and Finn who really is frankly nothing but a cut out rogue hero.

I'm certainly not saying that I hate these movies, I like parts of them, but they're certainly not movies that get you interested in any kind of lore or exploration of the universe, and they don't have much in the way of rewatchibility.

They're a plug and play franchise now.
Really hits the nail on the head.

My biggest issue with all of this is the critics. How did they possibly come to the conclusion that these new movies are comparable to the ESB, which is the deepest movie in the franchise.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #937
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
You can actually stomach the prequels? That's a strong constitution you've got there, my friend. Those flicks are awful.

The Last Jedi is a superior film in every way. Sure, it's not spectacular, and there were a couple of scenes that bugged me. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it as good as the original trilogy? Nope. But I thought it was pretty solid and easily on par with TFA.
Put me in as one who liked the Revenge of the Sith. It was a movie with some problems to it obviously, buy I liked it, and on reflection probably a bit more then the Last Jedi

So here's a new list, CaptainCrunch's why Star Wars films failed, and what might have been able to fix it

1) The Phantom Menace

The good - The fight between Maul, Kenobi and Qui-Gon. Palpatine. The performance of MacGregor, Neeson, McDarmid.

The bad - Midi-chlorians I get they needed to quantify how powerful Anakin was, but that just made no sense. too much reliance on CGI. Some of the scenes were beautiful but at times it seemed so video gamey. to much cutsey, animals farting, smart arse battle droids

The ugly - Jake Llyod, the whole Jar Jar Binks thing and his race. Overly complex reasons like taxations of the trade routes.

How to fix it - make Anakin a teenager, make his slavery harsher, give him an edge and anger that we can see. A good kid with a temper and a desire for revenge. Remove the midiclorians. remove Jar Jar, change the Gungans to be a more warrior race and less goofy.

2) Attack of the Clones

The good, the actual creation of the clones story lines. Ewan MacGregor, bringing in Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, Jar Jar destroys democracy. Jango Fett,

The bad - The dialgue. NP looks like she'd rather be anywhere else. Hayden just wasn't the right actor for the role. The love story itself had little chemistry. Anakin wipes out the raiders

the ugly - Sand it gets everywhere, the transitions were weirdly done. the way that the duel between Anakin and Dooku was filmed. Yoda bouncing around like a freaking jelly bean.

What could have fixed it - bring in a script doctor to work on the dialogue. emphasize Jedi Arrogance really drop seeds in that Anakin is slowly sliding and Kenobi just can't see it. Change the execution scene from weirdo animals to a firing squad. Have Anakin show his rage during the battle with Dooku and have some consequences to it.

Revenge of the Sith

the good - Loved the fall of the republic, order 66, the jedi being patsies. The fight between Anakin and Kenobi. The opening battle. The opera house scene

The bad - the dialogue between Anakin and Padme and the lack of chemistry between the two. the creation of a new villain in Grievous and the quick death of Dooku. not enough time spent on Anakin's fall and it was almost too instant and predictable. Monster movie Palpatine. more boinging around Yoda.

The ugly - NOOOOOOOOO, She died of a what, she lost the whose now? Not enough time spent on the conversation between Anakin and Palpatine in the seduction, the book was awesome for this. "I have the high ground" very little dialogue between Obi-Wan and Anakin. The slaughter of the younglings turns Anakin from someone with a bit of good in him to someone almost irredeemable.

How to fix it - Lengthen the seduction scene between Anakin and Palpatine. Change the temple scene to show Anakin's power in slaughtering actual Jedi. Get rid of Grievous all together, and extend Dooku's role so that when Anakin murders him its meaningful How about Padme not dying of a broken heart, have her die from injuries caused by an enraged Anakin. Instead of a mournful know, have Anakin show rage at Palpatine for the death of Padme, and a certain amount of self loathing, show Palpatine as more powerful then Anakin in this state.

A New Hope

The good - a lot

The bad - Dialogue was wooden, some scenes were too long and boring, ie the crossing the desert.

The ugly - Not a lot

How to fix it - If George had a regret, I bet he would have found a way to have someone else write the dialogue in his scripts

Empire Strikes back

The good - all of it
The bad - loved this movie
the ugly - nothing
how to fix it - Leave it alone, they finally bought someone in that understood how people talked

Return of the Jedi

The good - The effects for the time, Leia Bikini, palpatine to a point, Vader. Harrison Ford. the space battle

The bad - The ewoks the battle scene was stupid, arrows beat high tech armor and weapons. I think the Jabba the hutt stuff dragged on too long. Palpatine's seduction of Luke was poorly written and executed.

the ugly - The ewoks.

How to fix it - Shorten the rescue of Han Solo. Change the Ewoks to Wookies. Emphasize Luke's near seduction by Palpatine. Put the scene back in with Vader and the Imperial Guards

The Force Awakens

The good - the pacing was excellent, Rey was terrific. The opening scene with Kylo was really well done. the fight between Kylo, Finn and rey was well done.

The bad - The dialogue, too many ambiguous moments. Too many over powered hero's especially the Poe sequence with Finn screaming "That's a great pilot". Snoke, I just didn't feel him. the disconnect with Chewie. Some of the movies logic was flawed.

The ugly - This is the death star except you could shoot a death star out of our death star. Too familiar in terms of plot with ANH. The whole Rathtars scene with Solo. Kylo Ren pouty 14 year old evil dude. Rey picking up force powers like coins off of the floor. Phasma

How to fix it - dial back on the unbeatable rebels. Get rid of Phasma all together, she added nothing to the film. Have a greater struggle for Rey in terms of powers. Have Kylo toy with Finn like he's a particularly stupid child.

The Last Jedi

The good - Mark Hamill. Daisy Ridley was really strong. The throne room betrayal. Kylo's kill the past old ways justification.

The bad - The overall logic of the chase and the plot line. Rose and finns adventure wasn't interesting at all. This was basically the Empire Strikes back, but the problem is in comparison it isn't that good.

The ugly - Disposing of the questions from the first movie. Snoke turns out to the the Supreme Idiot Snoke. Rey's parents were nothing, the radically changing of the Force philosophy created confusion. Poe, was just badly done.

How to fix it - I'd have to think about that, i don't think its fixable from a framework perspective. And when your strongest movie is Empire Strikes back, don't remake it unless you can do it better.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #938
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people have a false belief that the first 3 Star Wars movies had deep characters.

They are basic fantasy archetypes.

Young naive hero
Old mentor
Warrior Princess
Scoundrel with a heart of cold
Cherished Dog
Really Bigbad
Evil with a sliver of hope to be redeemed.

None of the movie universe has been deep.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #939
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched Rouge One again and had a snicker when a Star Destroyer jumped directly in front of the escaping rebel ships at the end. Interesting strategy, that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #940
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I just watched Rouge One again and had a snicker when a Star Destroyer jumped directly in front of the escaping rebel ships at the end. Interesting strategy, that.
That was the first movie where you saw a Star Destroyer as really intimidating and dangerous

ANH - Star Destroyer kicks the crap out of a ship 10% its size

Empire Strikes back - Star Destoyer's aren't good against Asteroids at all. They have a blind spot behind them and are disabled by two shots from an Ion cannon.

Return of the Jedi - Turns out that on top of being defenseless against Ion Canons, their shield generators might not be shielded

Rogue one - Got hit by a ship accelerating to light speed, Vader laughs and plows on.

I would have loved to have seen one scene where a Star Destroyer really opens up and crushes something.