Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ovechkin Scores 600th Goal

Quote:
The captain of the Washington Capitals scored twice Monday night against the Winnipeg Jets to reach the milestone in his 990th regular-season game. Ovechkin became the fourth-fastest player in NHL history to 600 behind only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...600-goal-club/
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jarome over Ovie in so many things. But Ovie might be the best pure goal scorer ever.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know it’s a long shot but would LOVE to see him chase down Gretzky.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of my favorite players ever. I hope he wins a cup at some point in his career.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I know it’s a long shot but would LOVE to see him chase down Gretzky.
It's definitely a long shot, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE. If he plays another 10 seasons he'd need to average about 40 goals a year. If he pots a few more 45-50 goal seasons in the next 3-5 years, it's not unrealistic at all. Iginla was scoring 30 goals at age 38, and Ovi is a way better goal scorer than Iginla ever was.

Obviously he'd need to stay healthy and play for a long time, but there's a chance.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gretzky has 894, so Ovie is less than 300 away. If he can average 35 per year, he can do it in 8.5/9 seasons. Not impossible.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seven 50 goal seasons in an era where 40 goals is a big accomplishment in the NHL. He just keeps scoring year after year.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Gretzky has 894, so Ovie is less than 300 away. If he can average 35 per year, he can do it in 8.5/9 seasons. Not impossible.
Wow it's even more realistic than I thought. I did the math as if he needed 395 more goals, not 295 (whoops!)

It'd be so cool to see him pass Gretzky. I do think 800 is easily possible if he stays healthy though.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
One of my favorite players ever. I hope he wins a cup at some point in his career.
Watch him do it this year as an underdog. He's the sort of player who will flourish without the weight of expectations in the playoffs.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a great player.
Thankful to have players like this to keep the NHL interesting while our team systematically tries to bore us to death and remove all entertainment from hockey.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

He would already likely have 60 more if not for lockouts.

He'll no doubt slow down rapidly past age 35 but, barring injury, should be a lock for over 700 career goals. I think 800 is a stretch and I don't think he'll catch Wayne even if he plays til 40.

Still, one of my favourite players of all time. Particularly his first couple of seasons when he was such a highlight machine.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
He would already likely have 60 more if not for lockouts.

He'll no doubt slow down rapidly past age 35 but, barring injury, should be a lock for over 700 career goals. I think 800 is a stretch and I don't think he'll catch Wayne even if he plays til 40.

Still, one of my favourite players of all time. Particularly his first couple of seasons when he was such a highlight machine.
Why is 800 a stretch? The guy has never scored less than 30 goals, and he only needs 200 to get there. If he stays healthy and doesn't retire too early, I think 800 would be easy.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a great scorer. Would love to see him hoist the cup. In a league starved for offense, creativity, goals, he's the best at doing the hardest yet most important thing in the sport: score goals.

He gets a lot of harsh criticism for the lack of playoff success, and though he plays a part in those postseason failures, i think it's got a lot to do with the team around him too.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ovechkin will never catch Gretzky and nor should he.

He scores a hell of a lot but overall it still doesn't help his team win when it counts. You can outscore (especially with special teams) problems in the regular season, but defensive play and even poor offensive decisions will catch up with you in the playoffs.

There are a ton of factors (not the least of which being luck) that have led Crosby to cups and Ovechkin to early playoff exits, but I think the differences are earned for the most part.

I don't think he deserves to be anywhere near the talk of 'greatest of all time'.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Ovechkin will never catch Gretzky and nor should he.

He scores a hell of a lot but overall it still doesn't help his team win when it counts. You can outscore (especially with special teams) problems in the regular season, but defensive play and even poor offensive decisions will catch up with you in the playoffs.

There are a ton of factors (not the least of which being luck) that have led Crosby to cups and Ovechkin to early playoff exits, but I think the differences are earned for the most part.

I don't think he deserves to be anywhere near the talk of 'greatest of all time'.
Ah yes. Classic Crosby is better because of team accomplishments in a thread about Ovechkin.

Ovechkin deserves essentially no blame for Washington’s playoff woes considering he is essentially the only guy who shows up for them in the playoffs.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #16
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relatively recent comparisons: Iginla scored 194 goals age 33 and beyond. Sakic had 142. Shanahan had 153. Selanne had 248 (playing until age 43, with a few injury shortened seasons. Hull had 214. Jagr isn't a good comparison, but he did score 54 at age 33, but has not exceeded 30 in a season since then (only 2 years before he went overseas though).

Of course, Ovechkin is a different class than all of them (except maybe Hull), and will pass them all on the all time list sooner than later.

IMO, something like the following might be reasonable:

~240 more goals over 6 seasons...puts him around 840 at age 39. Another lockout could be a gift and/or a curse - maybe helps him get an extra 1.5 seasons if he wants.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #17
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Ah yes. Classic Crosby is better because of team accomplishments in a thread about Ovechkin.

Ovechkin deserves essentially no blame for Washington’s playoff woes considering he is essentially the only guy who shows up for them in the playoffs.
You and I have very different definitions of "showing up" then.

The Penguins have had some pretty average teams over the years that have been very successful. Namely their defense.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
You and I have very different definitions of "showing up" then.

The Penguins have had some pretty average teams over the years that have been very successful. Namely their defence.
By your argument, there are 600+ other NHL players who aren't Crosby and therefore should also get the brunt of your unfair comparison to him.
Including every single player on the Flames.

Crosby vs Ovechkin needs to end.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incredibly impressive given his age and the era he's playing in.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #20
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me feel old — seems like his rookie season was just yesterday.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: