Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Do most parents have weed cabinets in their basement?

Its easier for a child to buy alcohol vs weeds but not get access to, at least everywhere outside of Vancouver Island
The Island is great. Nothing beats seeing granny on the porch rocking a doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What are you basing this on?
The amount of steps. Getting weed is one step (i.e know the connection). Getting alcohol requires a boot which adds another step. At worst they're equally easy to get, which defeats the purpose of making one illegal doesn't it?

Oh yeah I went through high school too, as we all did. Weed was always easier to get than booze.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The amount of steps. Getting weed is one step (i.e know the connection). Getting alcohol requires a boot which adds another step. At worst they're equally easy to get, which defeats the purpose of making one illegal doesn't it?

Oh yeah I went through high school too, as we all did. Weed was always easier to get than booze.

Sorry what is "a boot"?

I had no trouble getting booze in high school.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #43
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sorry what is "a boot"?

I had no trouble getting booze in high school.
A boot is someone of age who can buy for those underage. Could be some random stranger at the liquor store, could be your buddies brother. Usually remarkably easy to spot at a liquor store as they are buying lots of coolers and lower % alcohol products (like Malibu) and paying cash with lots of $5 and $10 bills.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #44
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Alcohol was a lot harder to get when I was in high school. If you didn't have a boot (Someone to buy it for you) and you couldn't take some from your parents, you weren't drinking plain and simple.

If you wanted pot you just called one of your stoner friends. I could get pot during class if I wanted to.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #45
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
A boot is someone of age who can buy for those underage. Could be some random stranger at the liquor store, could be your buddies brother. Usually remarkably easy to spot at a liquor store as they are buying lots of coolers and lower % alcohol products (like Malibu) and paying cash with lots of $5 and $10 bills.

We just called ours Kalid, he was from Lebannon, he shaved, a lot, in grade 8.....by high school he was rocking 5 o'clock shadow by 11 am.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #46
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Both booze and weed were extremely easy to get in high school, I'd say alcohol even easier since every kid I knew had tried drinking before they had tried weed.

I am fine with the legalizing weed stance and see the benefits with tax and regulation.
The only hesitation I'd have is any person I knew growing up that ended up with a harsher drug problem like crystal meth, heroin etc started off as a pot head. Not saying that this is the norm but I believe there is some truth to weed leading to harsher drugs.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
Both booze and weed were extremely easy to get in high school, I'd say alcohol even easier since every kid I knew had tried drinking before they had tried weed.

I am fine with the legalizing weed stance and see the benefits with tax and regulation.
The only hesitation I'd have is any person I knew growing up that ended up with a harsher drug problem like crystal meth, heroin etc started off as a pot head. Not saying that this is the norm but I believe there is some truth to weed leading to harsher drugs.
That's not a weed problem its a drug problem. Just because weed is the lowest on the scale and easiest to obtain, people tend to blame it. But a person with a problem would seek it out whether they try weed, or ecstasy, or MDMA or whatever the case may be.

Weed creates drug addicts = Pop creates alcoholics IMO.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That's not a weed problem its a drug problem. Just because weed is the lowest on the scale and easiest to obtain, people tend to blame it. But a person with a problem would seek it out whether they try weed, or ecstasy, or MDMA or whatever the case may be.

I pretty much agree with what your saying, except there is a segment of drug users that started with grass and chased a greater high because of their starting point. Those are the ones that moved on to the greasier drugs like Meth and crack.

The whole hey if like think this makes you feel good you should take a shot of this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #49
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I pretty much agree with what your saying, except there is a segment of drug users that started with grass and chased a greater high because of their starting point. Those are the ones that moved on to the greasier drugs like Meth and crack.

The whole hey if like think this makes you feel good you should take a shot of this.
Yes but that's not a problem with weed it's a problem with that person. Like alluded to above, it's like saying all alcoholics started with ( ok let's say beer instead of pop) beer. This we should outlaw beer. Makes no sense.

For all the people you're talking about, there are millions more (like me) who smoke pot on a regular basis but have no need or want to move to anything beyond that for various reasons. I don't want to hallucinate so I don't take mushrooms (an only would with certain people around). I also would never touch anything beyond tht as most of it scares the bejesus out of me. Because I've been educated on their effects and problems. I've smoked pot regularly for a while now an have never even seen cocaine with my own eyes. How many of you non-pot users can say that you hVe never actually seen cocaine?

And I come from springbank where that crap is rampant. It's a choice to stay away. People always (or should always) have a choice. Even if you have a predisposition to addictions, you still have a choice (albeit a much more difficult one).

Last edited by Coach; 07-26-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also as an add on there was a Yale medical study that pointed out that younger grass users were more likely to move into opiate abuse and perscription drug abuse then non grass users.

There was also the same conclusion in terms of smokers and drinkers at a young age.

Ah there it is. Admittedly they even said that more research is needed, and I'm on board with more research into the effect of dope on young minds and addicts in a similar vein to tabacco and alcohol research.

This is by no means the smoking gun (no pun intended) that dope is a gateway drug, but there should be more research done.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...ug-3805532.php

Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Yes but that's not a problem with weed it's a problem with that person. Like alluded to above, it's like saying all alcoholics started with ( ok let's say beer instead of pop) beer. This we should outlaw beer. Makes no sense.

I'm not really arguing that, but I believe that there needs to be more study done on it.

I posted above a Yale study that links smokers, drinkers and dope smokers to later opiate abuse.

If we're going to put dope on store shelves wouldn't it be logical to put the same degree of research into it as tobacco and alcohol products?

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #52
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I wouldn't say it's necessarily to blame but being exposed to weed could lead a percentage of users to chase that initial high they enjoyed with pot , that they can't duplicate by going to harder drugs. It's definitely not the majority of pot smokers but a percentage nonetheless and should be considered in the legalization decision.

How many pop addicts do you know that went right to alcoholism?
Compare that to how many crackheads started off with weed as their first high. I'd say there's no comparison to which is more likely.

Like I said I'm not against legalization but I do feel that pot possibly being a gateway drug needs to be addressed before any decisions are made.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Compare that to how many crackheads started off with weed as their first high. I'd say there's no comparison to which is more likely.
You're not asking the same question?

It should be either "how many alcoholics do you know that started with Pop?" or "how many stoners do you know that moved on to crack?"
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I should have read what the Captain said before i replied, I'm basically on the same page as him.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You're not asking the same question?

It should be, how many alcoholics do you know that started with Pop.
Thats a very weird phaseology my friend.

Pop and Alcohol are not similar in any sense.

While pop is terrible for you health wise it isn't a mood altering drug like Alcohol is so the link isn't there.

There can be links between grass and other drugs in that they effect your brain chemically and create highs. I'm not saying that dope is going to make you crave crystal meth, but there is a link where people go from dope to harsher drugs and not the other way around which is harsher drugs to dope.

It is something to be researched as well as grass' effects on growing minds.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #56
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's necessarily to blame but being exposed to weed could lead a percentage of users to chase that initial high they enjoyed with pot , that they can't duplicate by going to harder drugs. It's definitely not the majority of pot smokers but a percentage nonetheless and should be considered in the legalization decision.

Like I said I'm not against legalization but I do feel that pot possibly being a gateway drug needs to be addressed before any decisions are made.
The amount of people that are hard drug users that started with pot should have no more bearing on the legalization than the amount I people dead from smoking has on the legalization of cigarettes. The only correlation between pot and any other type of drug is that they are illegal.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #57
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hw many people took a hit of weed and went right to crack? It doesn't exist. You're dealing with flawed individuals that do those things, and they are looking For an escape from their life. And if weed isn't giving it to them, it's because they've got demons worthy of an exorcism, not because weed is a devil plant.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #58
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Thats a very weird phaseology my friend.

Pop and Alcohol are not similar in any sense.

While pop is terrible for you health wise it isn't a mood altering drug like Alcohol is so the link isn't there.

There can be links between grass and other drugs in that they effect your brain chemically and create highs. I'm not saying that dope is going to make you crave crystal meth, but there is a link where people go from dope to harsher drugs and not the other way around which is harsher drugs to dope.

It is something to be researched as well as grass' effects on growing minds.
High sugar intake doesn't have an effect on the brain? I did amend my comparison to include beer which actually fits to a tea. I would venture to say every single alcoholic ever has had beer. Must be the beers fault.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The amount of people that are hard drug users that started with pot should have no more bearing on the legalization than the amount I people dead from smoking has on the legalization of cigarettes. The only correlation between pot and any other type of drug is that they are illegal.
It depends on the defined legalization of pot doesn't it?

And its something that should be studied. There are warning labels all over smokes and education campaigns around smokes. Shouldn't the same level of study be done on the effects of dope on developing minds and the effects of dope on addictive personalities?

If its going to be legalized then the government that legalizes is is going to be liable especially if they're the ones distributing it for example.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
High sugar intake doesn't have an effect on the brain? I did amend my comparison to include beer which actually fits to a tea. I would venture to say every single alcoholic ever has had beer. Must be the beers fault.
The concept of a sugar high was disproven a while ago as a mental effect.

And alcohol has a definite effect on an alcoholic. But there is one consistency in alcoholic beverages and that's alcohol itself is consistant. Beer, rum, scotch etc all produce the exact same high. You get the same buzz with different measurements.

Dope has a different high then meth then crack then etc. They are different chemicals effecting your brain in different ways.

There are people out there that started on grass and moved to harder drugs for the possible cheaper more intense high or feeling of well being or whatever.

Does that grass causes make some people chase a greater high, we've seen interviews especially with addictive personalities where they liked the high of grass and they wanted that feeling in greater concentration.

Does it in my mind effect the legalization argument. To me not really I'm on board with legalizing dope, but the level of research into grass is nowhere near as big as the level of research into alcohol and tobacco and that consistent level of knowledge does have to be there.

Tags
better than crack , bureaucracy , duuuuuude , funions , gateway , high drivers