Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #121
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was Oilers no good. We watched the whole season in the last couple nights. World wide plague - ummm, sounds like a lead-in for the Walking Dead...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #122
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Fox hasn’t closed the book on The X-Files

Quote:
f the Fox network gets its way, we can look forward to more mysteries from The X-Files.

The six-episode X-Files revival series wrapped up Monday with a cliffhanger scene on the Vancouver viaducts — featuring a heroic Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) and desperate Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) — that left viewers with more questions than answers, and kept the door open for a new season.

Chris Carter, the show’s creator and executive producer, confirmed with The Hollywood Reporter this week that the Fox network is hungry for more.

“They’re going to ask for more. The ratings were very good. They were happy with the show. I talked to (CEO of FOX Television) Dana Walden today. She said they’d very much like more, but nothing’s being negotiated yet,” Carter said on Monday.

“I have been speaking with David pretty regularly. I think he’s game. I have spoken to Gillian less frequently, but I believe she would be game. So I’m just working around their busy schedules. They both have families. It’s another practical matter.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...394/story.html
Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #123
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

New season starts back up this week. With 10 episodes to work with this time, I'm hoping for an improvement in the storytelling. Last year's event series was really hit and miss for me in terms of quality. 3 of the episodes were quite good, but the other 3 not so much. And ending on that ridiculous cliffhanger when the fans didn't know if we were even getting another season was super frustrating.

I've read that 2 of the new episodes will revolve around the search for Mulder and Scully's son, and that last year's cliffhanger will get resolved as well. The remaining 8 episodes will be stand-alone monster of the week stories, which I'm looking forward to as those are always the best episodes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #124
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll never look at Gillian Anderson the same again after watching her excellent series, The Fall. It's odd hearing someone you're familiar with using her real accent.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know, outside of a couple of episodes, it was just bad to me, and the ending was ridiculously badly done.

It might be hard for me to get back into spending time watching it unless the reviews are good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #126
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'll never look at Gillian Anderson the same again after watching her excellent series, The Fall. It's odd hearing someone you're familiar with using her real accent.
For me it was her performance in Hannibal that really showed her dynamic abilities.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #127
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully the longer break was to really try and get this one right, but I am skeptical they will. I personally will only be giving this maybe 2 episodes leeway.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #128
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know, outside of a couple of episodes, it was just bad to me, and the ending was ridiculously badly done.

It might be hard for me to get back into spending time watching it unless the reviews are good.

I agree the last episode was pretty bad. However I quite enjoyed the stand-alone episodes, particularly the hilarious lizard monster story, as well as the darker episodes with the trash man and the mutant kids in that evil genetics lab. I'm such a die hard fan of the show, and although you can never truly recapture the magic of the original series, I'm probably still gonna tune in anyway.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #129
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t remember a single detail from the last run of episodes. Much less a cliffhanger ending. Wikipedia I guess?
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #130
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not really my style to complain about something trivial like TV show on the internet, but I am so goddamn sick and tired of being disappointed by the X-Files.

After season 10, I said I was out. But yesterday I blew by some encouraging headlines on season 11, then while I was unwinding yesterday evening its Wednesday showtime kind of caught me off guard and so I tuned in: 15 minutes in I was bored ####less: the political commentary was clumsy, the forced tension was so in your face and obnoxious, and the overly convoluted and contrived story line jumped out of the gate and sailed past the absurdity line in 0.0991 seconds.

And to top it off, Duchovny and Anderson phoned their performances in. No, that's too generous . . . they texted them in, written out in textese.

And what's worse, I'll probably tune-in next week all eager and excited for the next episode! Chris Carter throws a ball, we all run after it.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well that episode didn't really restore my faith in this show, but it sounds like they will be doing stand alone episodes until the last episode which will probably wrap up the series as Anderson has said that there's no way she'll be back

Spoiler!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #132
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well that episode didn't really restore my faith in this show, but it sounds like they will be doing stand alone episodes until the last episode which will probably wrap up the series as Anderson has said that there's no way she'll be back

Spoiler!

Yea, I wasn't too impressed with that episode either, and it certainly didn't improve on last year's finale.

A few thoughts:

Spoiler!

Last edited by direwolf; 01-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #133
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the reviews I've seen, the first episode was the weakest of the bunch (critics have been sent the first 5 episodes of the 10 episode season). The next few episodes are more monster-of-the-week type episodes with less focus on the mythology, and are supposedly much better.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #134
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished episode 2. Now that's more like it!

To me this felt much more like an episode from the original series, and the banter between Mulder and Scully was great in this one. Overall a pretty enjoyable episode in my opinion, and a big improvement from last week. Cool soundtrack as well.

Spoiler!

Last edited by direwolf; 01-12-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #135
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched episodes 3 and 4 tonight, and I gotta say I'm really enjoying these stand-alone stories. So much more fun than the tiresome alien conspiracy arc.

"Plus One" (episode 3) was another 90s-style episode with a pretty cool plot, and once again, great chemistry and banter between the two leads. Duchovny and Anderson look like they're having a lot more fun over these last couple of episodes. They're finally sinking their teeth into these roles again, which is a welcome change from that dreadful 1st episode.

Tonight's Darin Morgan-penned episode, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" was flat out hilarious, and easily in the same league as past comedic episodes like "Clyde Buckman's Final Repose", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", and last season's excellent "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-monster". Overall a really fun episode with some witty dialogue and terrific performances from the cast.

Next week looks like more of a serious/scary episode, which I'm looking forward to since it's written by James Wong, who co-wrote some of the shows freakiest episodes in the past (Home, Squeeze, Tooms, Die Hand Die Verletzt, etc..)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #136
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Tonight's Darin Morgan-penned episode, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" was flat out hilarious, and easily in the same league as past comedic episodes like "Clyde Buckman's Final Repose", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", and last season's excellent "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-monster". Overall a really fun episode with some witty dialogue and terrific performances from the cast.
Last night's episode was hilarious! Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Like you said, I wish they would do more of these stand alone episodes, rather than the long arc.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #137
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some very funny quotes in that episode, especially this one:

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 03:26 AM   #138
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have overall been really disappointed in The X-Files reboot and haven't been that into the current season, but wow episode 4 was hilarious! My faith has been restored.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #139
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I have overall been really disappointed in The X-Files reboot and haven't been that into the current season, but wow episode 4 was hilarious! My faith has been restored.
The first episode of this season was terrible, but episodes 2, 3, and especially 4 have all been solid.

Since Gillian Anderson isn't coming back after this season, I'm hearing this will likely be it for the series, which is fine by me. Even as a long time fan of the show, I think it's definitely time to wrap it up.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox/Disney eventually tries a complete reboot or reimagining of the show with different characters and younger actors.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #140
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The first episode of this season was terrible, but episodes 2, 3, and especially 4 have all been solid.

Since Gillian Anderson isn't coming back after this season, I'm hearing this will likely be it for the series, which is fine by me. Even as a long time fan of the show, I think it's definitely time to wrap it up.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox/Disney eventually tries a complete reboot or reimagining of the show with different characters and younger actors.
Yup following the adventures of Foxy Sneider and Dan Muldanaro. as two hip cat FBI agents investigating the super natural from the field offices in Hawaii.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: