Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #141
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

As suspected

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290478815278321664
Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #142
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the NFL came out of lockout in 2011 with a shortened training camp, there were seemingly a lot of injuries. It was likely due to the shortened growing camp so players weren’t fully in game shape.

The summer camp MLB had was pretty short.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #143
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
When the NFL came out of lockout in 2011 with a shortened training camp, there were seemingly a lot of injuries. It was likely due to the shortened growing camp so players weren’t fully in game shape.

The summer camp MLB had was pretty short.
I think it was two or three seasons ago that the NFL made changes to their training camp by shortening it. That season it seemed like there was a noticeable increase in early season injuries.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #144
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Everyone wants a piece of the Astros

https://twitter.com/user/status/1292589286223642624

https://twitter.com/user/status/1292589470756286471

Last edited by GirlySports; 08-09-2020 at 04:46 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #145
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
We should prepare for Laureano to be suspended for ten games.

The Astros? They'll probably suffer the indignity of a slap on the wrist or something.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #146
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
We should prepare for Laureano to be suspended for ten games.

The Astros? They'll probably suffer the indignity of a slap on the wrist or something.
Urinating Tree is that you?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1292591742290743304
Old 08-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #147
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something about that just really angers me.

If you're going to hurl a a hard object at somebody at 95mph+ on purpose, you should have to answer for your actions, not have 40 guys come out and stop the guy from getting his pound of flesh.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #148
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hitting coach on the Astros deserves 15 games. He was the instigator
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #149
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Oritzkicks:
We’ll know more soon, but a person I respect has been told that the A’s Ramón Laureano charged toward Alex Cintron because Cintron mentioned Laureano’s mother in a bad way. In Latino culture, those are fighting words. #Astros #Athletics

Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #150
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

This infuriates me. The A’s were hit 5 times over the 3 game series. The Astros none. An obvious retaliation by the Astros for Fiers(member of the A’s, but did not pitch) whistleblowing the Astros cheating. So basically the Astros were able to hurl balls at the A’s because they told on them, and the A’s couldn’t retaliate because they would get suspended. This whole thing is such a mess because of the spineless Manfred.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #151
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, the Astros really put themselves in a tough position by doing this. Shows no humility and taking their licks. Instead going out and picking on the A's should make them out to be more of a villian going forward. Why they decided to do that is so odd to me.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #152
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
This infuriates me. The A’s were hit 5 times over the 3 game series. The Astros none. An obvious retaliation by the Astros for Fiers(member of the A’s, but did not pitch) whistleblowing the Astros cheating. So basically the Astros were able to hurl balls at the A’s because they told on them, and the A’s couldn’t retaliate because they would get suspended. This whole thing is such a mess because of the spineless Manfred.

Embarrassing stuff.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #153
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Astros embracing the heel role and playing some horrible baseball while they're at it. Pretty much giving everyone exactly what they want.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #154
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
It's so pathetic. Really tarnishes the game of baseball.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #155
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293256254333353984
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #156
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'm thinking that if your hitting coach gets suspended for basically half of the remaining season for what he yelled, you probably ought to just cut ties.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #157
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I'm thinking that if your hitting coach gets suspended for basically half of the remaining season for what he yelled, you probably ought to just cut ties.

What are the terms of teh suspension? Do they have that much influence during the game (if it's only the actual games they're not allowed to attend)? If they can still partipate in the practices, this is simply salary he's penalized. Houston really can't do anything right when it comes to ethical decisions. Really the only thing any new management can do is trade away everyone so there are no ties to anyone associated with the fiasco. Until that happens the team will be villified.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #158
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Kelly goes off on the Astros, calling them 'cheaters' 'snitches', & 'little b*tches.".

Quote:
"The people who took the fall for what happened is nonsense," Kelly said. "Yes, everyone is involved. But the way that [sign-stealing system] was run over there was not from coaching staff. ... They're not the head boss in charge of that thing. It's the players. So now the players get the immunity, and all they do is go snitch like a little b----, and they don't have to get fined, they don't have to lose games."
Quote:
"When you take someone's livelihood ... to save your own ass, that's what I don't like," Kelly said. "Cheating? They cheated. Everyone knows they're cheaters. They know they're cheaters. It's over. That's been there, done that. But now they mess it up by ruining other people's lives, so they f---ed it up twice. ... When you taint someone's name to save your own name, this is one of the worst things that you could probably do. ... That really friggin' bugs me. I think I'll be irritated forever."
Quote:
"I socially distanced. I walked away. I didn't get close, and I followed all the guidelines of the CDC, and people on the other side [the Astros] didn't," he said. "... They walked out of their dugout, walked toward us. Carlos Correa f---ing spit at our team. I don't know if it was [at] me. He spit out of his mouth. ... This guy walks over to our dugout and then spits, while I follow all the rules, and I get eight games.
Quote:
"They have a manager [Dusty Baker] on their side, verbatim, yelling at me, 'Get your little skinny ass on the mound.' So my cuss words get eight games, and his cuss words get zero? That makes complete sense, right? Welcome to planet Earth. A debacle."
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...mpression=true

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #159
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol...I didn't like Kelly until this incident. He's certainly right and getting the most out of his lost revenue. And good for him. He's just speaking his mind about a bad deal MLB made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #160
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Anyone else following this nonsense regarding Tatis Jr supposedly breaking one of baseballs unwritten rules?

The Padres were playing the Rangers and were up 7 runs in the 8th inning, the count on Tatis Jr was 3-0, bases were loaded, and he swung on the next pitch and hit a grand slam. Now Tatis apparently should have taken that pitch and Woodward, the Rangers manager, said he disrespected the Rangers and even the Padres manager, Tingler, apologized and said it was a learning moment for Tatis, which to me equates to the Padres manager capitulating and throwing his star player under the bus. Apparently Hosmer even went over to the Rangers and apologized on behalf of Tatis!

Like when is this #### going to end? One of the games most exciting young players hit a grand slam, the first of his career, and takes the MLB lead for home runs, and he has to apologize for running up the score? Not a surprise this is the Texas Rangers making a stink and stomping their feet as this is basically what they do best, get their asses kicked and point the finger at the team beating them. We all remember Bautista ruining the game of baseball for having the audacity to flip his bat! Punching him the face though is totally within the rules, so is throwing a hard projectile at a defenseless players head at 95 mph, totally cool. Grand slam on a 3-0 count though up by 7? Shame! This just flies in the face of everything I love about sports. Seeing the best do their best against the best. I want grand slams. Nevermind the fact that a 7 run lead in baseball is not a guaranteed thing, and a team should rarely take their foot off the gas. Especially in a shortened season when wins are very important. Ugh baseball can't get rid of this garbage soon enough.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: