Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Space Haven thread, or how I conquored the universe

I thought I'd put this up as a thread for anyone that's playing this game because its a rabbit hole game and once you get into it, its addictive.

The basic premise is that there was a apocolypse on Earth and man took to the Stars to find a rumored eden world to resettle.

Instead of being an organized program, it was everyman for themselves and because of that you are pretty much responsible for recruiting a crew and adding to it, designing and building a ship, and finding resources so you can survive.

This is actually a really cool ship design simulation as you have to figure out everything from defense, power, life support, food production, manufacturing materials, etc.

So when you play this game, you really have to be juggling a lot of different balls and the learning curve can be steep. I've started over multiple times as I've learned new things. Also be warned this game is in development so features and requirements for survival can change as you go.

So far what I've learned.

Energy Rods, Food Production and Water and Fuel are life.

You're crew mix is crucial, you need to find or recruit experts in botany, mining and construction and industry to do well. As well you need those intrepid brave souls for ship boarding that won't panic in the face of aliens. Be careful when you choose a crew man.

Pre sketch out your ship if you can, there's a great sketching tool, if you don't you will get a mish mash illogical ugly ship that's impossible for your crew to work in or find their way around.

When it comes to manufacturing its best to focus on refining raw material to building materials first, as well as producing energy Rods and fuel and water as fast as you can.

Understand how storage space works. and food growing works in terms of fertilizer and water and CO2.

Don't be afraid to recycle dead aliens and humans into usable components. Also in a pinch alien monster meat is delicious.

Make sure you track your crew relationship. I didn't and my doctor and navigator hated each other, so the doctor pretty much let my navigator die on the operating table.

When you take a derelict absolutely do strip it to nothing, you can recycle everything from the Hull and different blocks to continue to build your ship.

don't build too fast, This is huge, be patient with your ship design. You can't build a Star Destroyer right off of the bat.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I’m hesitant to start playing because I’ve had other early access games get frustrating as they work on features and change things. You’ve sold me on the game though, and I’ll give it a try tonight.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome game, haven't had a chance to play at all since we first talked about it but I'm excitedly waiting my return
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Be patient. Manufacturing becomes key, more along the refining of metals and reusing materials found on derelics.

Like I said be patient, watch the factors, you'll end up starting over a lot.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to use the sketch feature to build the basic ship shape, and then add basically one room at a time.

Oh watch your engine weight by the way, every engine is capable of driving 1600 tonnes of weight, so if you don't compensate for your weight you might end up stranded with no blocks to build another engine.

When you build your crew, make sure that you have at least three people with a high bravery level to use as a boarding party. Never send one guy over because if the ship is infected he could end up pinned to the wall.

I think its a fun game.

This is the Mintas

Spoiler!

I've got engineering and manufacturing in the back. I've separated it by a wall and used a sealed space suit door because it produces a lot of toxic gas and its a fire hazard. The middle section is basic cargo, and you can see food production in a separate room with a space suit hatch to seal it because its a CO2 heavy area with lots of light and its warmer then the rest of the ship

Then you get crew quarters, with 8 bunks, a kitchen and rec area and a bathroom.

Then you have the bridge which is basic as I only have navigation and operations (Comms) I haven't armed the ship. I'm in the process of building a third engine becasue this ship weighs 3600 tonnes and I'm adding cargo all the time via trades and via mining and stripping ships.

Oh, the most valuable commodities for trade are building block materials for some reason.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh the next build is a wing on the left side which will contain a small med bay, a hyper sleep chamber with sleep beds for all crew men and a small prison, and possibly an autopsy room.

From there I'll add shields a scanner and guns.

Then the pan is to add another shuttle bay and docking ring.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By the way there is a bit of a power thing to be aware of. Make sure that you really think about your power grid design, I tend to use more of the bigger power capaciters then the floor and wall wallmounts. Also make sure that you have a capacitor linked up to each generator, because if you run into a spike you won't have a brown out.

Right now I have two generators. One in the manufacturing section that's just linked to the engines and production machine. And one in the environmental area that runs the bridge living spaces and cargo area and food production.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to set up my weapons and scanners on solar, the problem with that though is that if you get further from the system star you won't get constant power. I might come up with a back up generator concept. I want a 8 gun ship man.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up this game a few weeks ago, has Space Base DF9 vibes, and I love it so far; hopefully, the game goes better than Space Base (%^&* Doublefine).

It took me about four tries to get a ship that would work, I did a different approach to manufacturing. I used a similar method to manufacturing, and heavily used trading to get the energy and tech blocks. I focused on Infrablocks early on as they were always in short supply.

Combat is confusing me a bit, I have two turrets, one shield generator, and a structure generator but still can't take a pirate on one on one. I try to ambush them with other ships right now. I also haven't tried tacking any prisoners yet, on my things to do.

Another thing that confuses me so far is why you would want to create more than one ship, there doesn't seem to be any need to have a fleet. Maybe it's a max size thing that I haven't run into yet.

My current ship from last week, it's kind of a bodge right now instead of a nice design, as I just wanted to learn the game mechanics after a couple of times failing .

Spoiler!
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So a couple of pieces of feedback.

You really want to put a Water Reclamator in your grow room, you can really add to your water production.

I really like the layout of your manufacturing room, you have one air scrubber in there, I'd add a second one because even a small fire will make the area incredibly toxic.

One thing that's really helped with logistics is storage bins and rules.

So for example I have two storage bins in my manufacturing room. and one has a rule that all raw materials will be stored there, then the other bin contains finished products.

I have a bin in my food section, where I store Fertillizer and water and finished fruits veggies meats and meals.

In the med bay I have a small bin where I keep Med Kits IV's and other medical goods. I also put a small bin by my shuttle that I put in a rule that weapons go into it only.

Why?

Because your crew will spend less time moving goods to empty bins willy nilly and as well it speeds up things like manufacturing or food production.

Make sure you build a scanner, It allows you to pin point hard points. So I built a Scanner and I can pretty accurately take out the enemies guns right off of the bat.

The fleet thing is interesting I tried it on a couple of builds. On one I made a gun boat, that was simply a flying arsenal with a shuttle bay, and I moved most of my high skilled gunners and shield operators over. It was a decent idea, but we spent a lot of time transfering essentials to the ship like food and water.

I tried it on another build where I made a ship that was strictly a manufacturing ship with all of my industrial ranked people and I made everything on that ship. Because it was a small ship it was easy to manage power and life support.

I did add to that fleet with a really small ship that I reclaimed, I added a bunch of mining pods, a shuttle bay and storage bins and sent my minors over to it.

I guess the rest of the crew got jealous because I gave them a really luxurious crew quarter area.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By the way, I really like that you made a full crew quarter where you combined the kitchen and the bunk space. I usually had a seperate bunk area and kitchen, and placed a scrubber int he kitchen because my idiot crew tended to light the kitchen on fire a lot.

Oh one last thing that i did which helped with energy rod consumption, is I started stacking solar panels that I would link into my power grid which lightened the load on my generators.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Did someone say something about energy rods? I thought I was doing well building my second ship but I ran out just as I was getting ready to hyperjump.

I hooked. Yeah, the learning curve is steep but rewarding. Next time I'm making sure I build solar panels.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Energy Rods are huge, they basically are your generator fuel. The first thing that I always built after the Recycler and composter is the Energy Refiner which creates hyper fuel and Energy Rods from the raw materials that I forget the name of.

The problem is as you go through your solar systems the asteroids containing the energy Rod material get rare.

The best way to get them is either by stripping abandoned ships which you'll get like 5 or 6. Or and its the way I do it is via trade.

The best trading materials are hyper fuel raw food, Fuits Veggies and meats. And medical supplies. Oh and guns.

The best way to slow down the use is to go solar for energy production, I got into the habit of building generators for power but the more and bigger you build the faster you deplete. So I usually have one or two generators, but build a lot of solar and then use the Generators to patch in with less energy use.

Oh a tip they don't talk about. If you use solar, besides building capacitors. when you drop out of hyper space, drop as close as you can to the sun or you'll get intermittent power failures.

Water and Elerium (power Rods) are the most essential thing to surviving.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I built that ship before the June 17th patch, so Water Vapor was a bit of a mystery at that point. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try them out soon, I think I'm going to start over as getting crew should be easier.

As I think food in the early game would be harder for me this time, I also would like to increase production of food for trading.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Oranges have a ludicris value in trades. They're also the fastest growing food. Usually you can get 300 to 400 per orange. When you look at Ships that are trading energy rods they're usually priced at 150 per unit, so you can buy a lot of energy rods for very little food.

The three things that I focus in on trade are

Fuel Rods
Water
Tech Blocks

My usual trade items are

Hyper fuel which you can sell at between 1500 and 2000 per unit
Oranges and Veggies
Once you have a chemical refiner
First Aid kits up to 500 per unit
IV's usually about 350 per unit.

In terms of manufacturing, once I get the recycler and the Composter, I'll set rules for manufacturing of only produce when those items fall below 15. That way your crews not constantly tied up.

I then build elements refiners.

Energy, chemical, metal, and fibers.

From there I build machines that turn those base elements into finished goods, with the final machine being the advanced assembler.

Again, I set a hard rule of only manufacturing when levels drop below 14 items. That way my crew can keep up to speed by not manufacturing all the time and they can move finished goods around.

I usually build dedicated storage.

I'll have a med bay storage for medical supplies
A food storage near the kitchen for food stuffs.

At least two big storage bays in manufacturing, one for unfinshed goods and one for finished goods.
I set up a small storage near my engine and primary generator for power rods and fuel
I set up a small storage near my primary shuttle with just weapons.

By doing this you reduce your people getting overwhelmed and it reduces that huge un stacked pile that they put up near the airlock that can block it and slow things to a crawl.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I did pretty well today. I managed to recover from this:

Spoiler!

I now have a save with a fully functional ship, although it's still poorly organized. I have over 100 energy rods with crystal left to refine. I think I have most of the systems figured out. I'm going to try combat next time I'm attacked, instead of running away.

Thanks for the tips, CC.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jeez did anyone die?

Ok the Minta has just left the ship yard and is definitely taking on a boxy cruiser shape. I've started a strategy of scouting ahead one system for energy rod material and then returning to the last section to leisurely mine resources and ship derelicts.

I've added an additional engine getting to four now. I'm not building power generators. I'lll design a section and power it with 4 solar panels or so independantly with capacitors.

I've added the med bay, and on the left side there's a two turret weapons array powered by solar but linked to a generator for power boost. I also put a small storage bin in the gun section to locally store energy cells. I've added a scanner and Shield generator all solar powered as well. I've stumbled on two new crew members. Otto is a super soldier type with 6 bravery and an IQ of 1. Jackson is a superior botanist miner which helps.

(Make sure you set priorities for your people by the way if you haven't.

Not much more to build. I'm going to build a port side weapons array with 2 more turrets and four solar cells. I'm going to add an additional shuttle. I'm still short a hyperchamber, so I'm going to build that as well. Now that I'm manufacturing everything, blocks etc, I'm not stripping scrap so stripping abandoned ships is quick.

I would like to move the crew quarters and kitchen to a bigger space and give them some luxuries. As well.

Then the last thing I'll do is expand the engine room with two more engines, and 2 turrets on each side. If you look at my latest engine on the bottom right its fully solar powered with two cells.

I'm probably going to build a small four person all in one kitchen rest area brig.

Oh just a tip. If you capture pirates you do have to imprison them and convince them to join your side. You can also designate areas of the ship as prisoner areas. So make sure you designate your med bay as a prison area.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:56 AM   #16
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Jeez did anyone die?
No, but they had to put on spacesuits until the air cleared. Normally the crew will automatically put out fires but not when they’re on break at the end of the day. The fire spread quickly and I had to draft them to put it out.

Your ship is impressive. Can you add another one to build a fleet? I’m not sure if they’ve added that feature yet.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It looks like you have to claim a ship and build it from there.

One of the big things that I like to do is build almost like firewalls.

So my industrial area and engine room is walled off and I use a space ship door, and put multiple air scrubbers in it. I experimented with putting no oxygen generator in there so fires wouldn't spread, but production slows down because it becomes a space suit environment.

I used to have an environmental area in the middle of the ship with a door with the vents closed, and put vents in the wall.

The kitchen I always put a scrubber in it because the kitchen facility will catch fire because my crewmen are idiots.

The weirdest fire was my water processor, that sucker constantly burst into flames til I went from constant production to only produce when water drops below like 50.

You know what I'd love as an add on.

Multi levels. I would love to be able to put a bridge and crew superstructure on it, and then that would give a lot more room on a lower level for shuttles engines and production.

Also I would love to be able to designate a crewman as Captain.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Deep Space Battle Cruiser Mintas

I've done some modifying. I added the second weapons array so I have 4 turrets. I'm going to add two more aft. But I've come pretty close to filling the grid.

I added a second shuttle bay, its amazing how fast you can strip ships with two shuttles.

Manufacturing is complete to the point where I'm pretty self sufficient

I added some more grow beds.

I also added a additional crew quarter with more luxuries. And another bathroom

I did end up adding another small generator just as a back up power sources.

I now have a crew of 12 with 6 of them having extremely high bravery and weapons skills.

I trashed a pirate ship in about 2 seconds. It was great.

I'm going to add the prison tomorrow, and one more engine, which means I should be able to handle every weight.

Fun game

Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I'm about halfway through the map. Once you get production set up properly, the resource issues go away. I have 100 rods with 200 of the Elerium crystals. Over 100 waters and 200 blocks of ice and a ton of fuel. I'm actually selling things instead of trading for things, though every time I get into a trade with a ship that has energy rods I'll buy them up, same with water. But I sell every other finished good because I have a ton of raw materials to make more. I have about a quarter million in cash.

I was kicking the crap out of the pirates I ran into until I ran into a 4 gunned monster with 3 shield generators. So I limped away and decided it was time. I can't add anything else to my main ship. So I went back about 5 systems and found a wreck that I could commission. So I'm starting to build the HSS Linus. A small consort with two shield generators and 8 cannons and some living quarters. I have a crew of 18 guys so I shifted a navigator a shield operator and gunner, a operations guy and a maintenance guy. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow, because it would be cool to have 13 guns to fight fight pirates.

Its kind of cool, I put in a shuttle bay and now as we're working you can see a logistics shuttle going back and forth between the two ships.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

More lesson's learned

As you go through the galaxy map spiral, you'll see solar systems off of the rim, those are high reward high danger sectors. you will certainly run into powerful enemies there. But the mineral and derelict haul is substantial. If you run into a ship with two shield generators and you only have one you're going to die.

For the most part in the first few sectors when you run into the spider aliens you're ok. but if you board a ship and you see eggs, beware of bouncers. These are huge aliens and they vault across the room at you and they can take a bunch of damage and give a lot of damage.

New trick. when you go after a derelict avoid docking at the air lock for a boarding operation if you see holes in the hull. Instead dock at the hole and you're guys will stand on a ledge and see into the ship. The spiders can't get at you but you can kill them. The bouncers will jump out at you.

If you walk into a room with a bunch of eggs kill them fast as they will hatch and you'll be up to your butt in aliens.

Shotguns are the weapon of choice against aliens. but not as good against humans and androids, the weapons of choice are assault rifles, that's why I put a weapons storage by my airlock so I can swap weapons.

If you attack and destroy an enemy ship, don't yell "woohoo" and send a boarding party. Use your scanner on the enemy derelict to reveal the crew numbers. I was nastily surprised when I destroyed an enemy ship and boarded and ran into 10 pirates and lost my boarding party. Scan the ship and decide if you want to send one or two boarding parties (Easier if you have multiple shuttles).

On the trade front, if you have access stock on blocks and finished good and you have your manufacturing going, do a trade of goods for your cash, it will reduce your weight and you can make more stuff later. Plus cash is great if you run into someone with energy rods, water or meat or veggies and just want to buy it outright.

As you get later in the game. If your in a system and you hear ship incoming go to the system map and see what it is. Its also a good idea to sound the yellow alert and man all of your consoles when a ship is coming or you jump into the next sector just in case. Instead of taking the first couple of shots.