Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #2121
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Finally got around to watching Mad Max: Fury Road. Didn't expect much. Started off feeling vindicated. But as it went on, I began to really enjoy it. Are the Mel Gibson ones worth watching?
Road Warrior is great. Definitely worth checking out. The tina turner one does not age well.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #2122
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Road Warrior is great. Definitely worth checking out. The tina turner one does not age well.
Mad Max (1979) and The Road Warrior are undisputed classics and well worth a watch. Beyond Thunderdome is definitely the weakest entry in the series, and I agree it doesn't age as well as the first two films. But overall I still think it's a pretty fun and wacky ride.

Fury Road is outstanding. Easily one of the best action flicks ever made.

Last edited by direwolf; 07-21-2020 at 11:14 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #2123
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Thought I'd quickly weigh in on a few movies:

I find Guy Ritchie to be underappreciated. I loved Man From UNCLE and found King Arthur to be entertaining (there's maybe seven of us).
Slowly raises hand.

Directors cut where they put all the blood back in elevated it.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:37 AM   #2124
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Mad Max (1979) and The Road Warrior are undisputed classics and well worth a watch. Beyond Thunderdome is definitely the weakest entry in the series, and I agree it doesn't age as well as the first two films. But overall I still think it's a pretty fun and wacky ride.

Fury Road is outstanding. Easily one of the best action flicks ever made.
might have been a crap film but this is still the best scene from any of them

afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #2125
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Guns Akimbo was fun. Pointless meandering fun.

Terminator: Dark Fate was much better than I had anticipated.
Yah? I think I really enjoyed the first half but the second half was ho hum.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #2126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main character was dumb in the way she didn't see danger pretty much through the whole thing. She was just a dopey drag along.

The action was good though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #2127
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Finally got around to watching Mad Max: Fury Road. Didn't expect much. Started off feeling vindicated. But as it went on, I began to really enjoy it. Are the Mel Gibson ones worth watching?
You didn’t expect much from what is considered one of the best action movies of all time?

Looking at the originals:
-Mad Max: a low budget Ozsploitation film that is more of a psychological thriller than a traditional action film. Much slower paced than what follows but worth watching for the origin story of Max’s descent into madness and the epic climax that inspired the Saw series.
-The Road Warrior: one of my favourite action movies ever. Obviously not quite as epic or big budget as Fury Road but still is damn near perfect. I could watch this over and over again.
-Beyond Thunderdome: a tale of two movies. Starts off pretty good with Tina Turner making an interesting villain and “two men enter, one man leaves” being a great concept but turns into a bit of a mess with the lost boys plot in the 2nd half. Still worth watching if you’ve made it this far.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #2128
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fury Road was entertaining, but I thought it was immensely overrated.

Roast away!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #2129
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can’t call a movie as epic as Fury Road immensely overrated without providing any justification!

To me it’s an almost perfect action movie with brilliant cinematography, exciting practical action, an interesting but simple story, great music, and solid acting. I have heard criticisms of the story based around its simplicity and a feminist focus on Furiousa over Max but to me those are strengths. You could also nit pick some of the plot but I haven’t bothered since I was so damn entertained.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #2130
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to care about the protagonists, and honestly, there just wasn’t enough reason to care about their plight. I understood what they were trying to do with the feminist angle, but it just didn’t reach me emotionally. More could have been done to engage the audience in the character arcs.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 02:57 AM   #2131
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You can’t call a movie as epic as Fury Road immensely overrated without providing any justification!

To me it’s an almost perfect action movie with brilliant cinematography, exciting practical action, an interesting but simple story, great music, and solid acting. I have heard criticisms of the story based around its simplicity and a feminist focus on Furiousa over Max but to me those are strengths. You could also nit pick some of the plot but I haven’t bothered since I was so damn entertained.
Ok problems with Fury Road for me, first Tom Hardy was a nonexistent Max, the film is 'Mad Max', not 'Pretty quiet seems a bit depressed Max', the film wasn't about him, you could have written him out of the story completely and it would have made no difference at all, in reality the whole story was driven by Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult.
Mad Max was a pointless distraction to the real story which was about people leaving their tribe, Max wasn't part of the tribe in the first place and so was not only unnecessary to the plot arc but really a distraction.

Second it didn't add to the story arc at all, it was basically just a redo of Thunderdome and Mad Max 2, the first three films had a sense of order, you were watching the world change, from the breakdown of society in the first, to its replacement with Anarchy in the second, to the emergence of a new brutal tribal society in Thunderdome, Fury Road was just a retelling of the plot from Mad Max 2, will the good guys with the guzzoline escape the bad guys in the wierd looking cars?
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #2132
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Fury Road was entertaining, but I thought it was immensely overrated.

Roast away!
I wouldn't say immensely overrated. Being entertained is telling that it was very good. That said I don't put it on a pedestal of all-time great movies. To me it's like a really good Nu metal album. Simple, heavy guitar riffs, funk bass, in your face lyrics, that entertains you briefly without leaving a lasting impression.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #2133
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Ok problems with Fury Road for me, first Tom Hardy was a nonexistent Max, the film is 'Mad Max', not 'Pretty quiet seems a bit depressed Max', the film wasn't about him, you could have written him out of the story completely and it would have made no difference at all, in reality the whole story was driven by Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult.
Mad Max was a pointless distraction to the real story which was about people leaving their tribe, Max wasn't part of the tribe in the first place and so was not only unnecessary to the plot arc but really a distraction.
I disagree. Max is never part of the tribe in any of the films, and he's not supposed to be. He's a loner who for the most part doesn't want anything to do with anyone, and prefers to survive by himself. That's his thing. He shows up out of nowhere like the Man With No Name (or Pale Rider), reluctantly provides help to a group of people that need it, and then disappears into the night. Furiosa's plan wouldn't have gotten very far without Max's help. While he definitely played more of a secondary role to her character in Fury Road, but he was still essential to the movie IMO.

And he's always been quiet, withdrawn, and depressed, at least since the Road Warrior. I mean, his wife and child were murdered in the original film.

Last edited by direwolf; 07-23-2020 at 08:55 AM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #2134
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
If you like war movies, The Outpost is decent. It is based on the true story of a US Army combat outpost in northern Afghanistan that is attacked by a significant Taliban force.

If you are interested in a story like this you might want to watch the actual documentaries. Both Restropo and Korengal are excellent.

Also the documentary about Tim Hetherington called Which Way is the Frontline From Here. His story is riveting.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #2135
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched The Go-Go's documentary on crave and for anyone that's a bit of a fan of rock and roll history its a must watch.

The Go-Go's the only all female band that played their own instruments and wrote their own songs and made it to number 1 on the charts.

This story follows them from their rise from the LA Punk rock scene to their break up to their reunion and its a great, interesting and sometimes uncomfortable watch.

From their rampant drug abuse that for one member went way beyond recreational to their disintegration, by the end of their first run which was amazingly short and meaningful in 1984 you go the sense that these band members did not like each other very much.

The Go-Go's almost became Kiss like in the end after Jane left the band and it was decided to end the band, and Belinda and Charlotte told Kathy and Gina that they were basically studio musicians because Charlotte wrote the songs and Belinda sings the songs.

Wait that's the exact line used in Rock Star.

There were some uncomfortable admissions in this documentary where Jane talked openly about her bi polar disorder and was celebrating that she hadn't thought about killing herself in a year. To Belinda finally admitting that her ego got the best of her.

Raw, uncomfortable fascinating to watch, I really thought it was a meaty honest documentary.

Oh and Stuart Copeland of the Police's reaction when he found out they weren't in the hall of fame was amazing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #2136
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Creep (Netflix) is so creepy! Mark Duplass is really good in it.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #2137
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to watching Greyhound.

Not bad, I'd give it a solid 6/10. Worth a watch but won't go down in history or anything. The CGI wasn't great and the story wasn't presented in a super interesting way, but if you love Tom Hanks, ww2, or submarine warfare, you'll have fun.

Last edited by btimbit; 08-02-2020 at 08:23 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #2138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interview with Belinda Carlisle about the documentary

https://ew.com/music/belinda-carlisl...ime-interview/

Review

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/t...ie-review-2020

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #2139
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Creep (Netflix) is so creepy! Mark Duplass is really good in it.
I watched this one about a year ago. It’s an odd little movie. Unsettling but the ending did not work for me.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 AM   #2140
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Jojo Rabbit was great.

American Pickle was not. What a steaming pile of crap this was. It is not a comedy, at all. It’s a weird love letter/guilt trip by Rogan about his Jewish heritage and it sucks.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote