Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #61
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Ben Street got one (or so said my phone alerts) but they lost 3-1.

Bummer
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #62
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah. It was really just a brutal night in all of Flames land. Heat went 1-6-1-1 on their homestand.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #63
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta frank here: it's pretty hard not to stay home and watch the Flames instead. Not until recently did I realize how lucky us Heat fans were to have Granlund, Reinhart, Knight, Hanowski, Ortio, etc.

This Heat team tries hard, but the sheer lack of skill is really killing them. When you've got a team of Carter Bancks' clones, this is what happens. That's not a knock against Bancks, it just means that this team has more hard work than it has skill.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #64
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comments from Chad Billins:

Comments from Corey Locke:

Comments from Coach Ward:

Game Highlights:

Last edited by Drury18; 03-16-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #65
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Gotta frank here: it's pretty hard not to stay home and watch the Flames instead. Not until recently did I realize how lucky us Heat fans were to have Granlund, Reinhart, Knight, Hanowski, Ortio, etc.

This Heat team tries hard, but the sheer lack of skill is really killing them. When you've got a team of Carter Bancks' clones, this is what happens. That's not a knock against Bancks, it just means that this team has more hard work than it has skill.
Maybe if this was the group he had all season, they could have a system that works for them, but the parent club has basically pillaged every skilled player from the Heat at this point. Starting goalie, backup goalie, Granlund, Knight, Hanowski, Byron, best young D in Wotherspoon... add in the injuries to Ferland, Jones, Baertschi, and you've got a club with absolutely zero depth. It's all riding on Street and Reinhart, and that's just not enough to make things happen.

When you are leaning hard on Olson and Bancks, you are going to suffer.

I hope they picked up enough points early to scrape into the playoffs, because they may not win 5 more times this year.

It's basically the Abbotsford Aces right now with Lafranchise, Trupp, Connolly, Elson, Kremyr, Foster, Davies all needing to play good minutes.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #66
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I hope they picked up enough points early to scrape into the playoffs, because they may not win 5 more times this year.
Western Conference:

1. Grand Rapids Griffins - 63 (39-18-2-4) - 84 *
2. Texas Stars - 62 (37-17-3-5) - 82 *
3. Toronto Marlies - 59 (35-19-2-3) - 75 *
4. Chicago Wolves - 60 (35-19-4-2) - 76
5. Abbotsford Heat - 63 (34-22-5-2) - 75
6. Rochester Americans - 61 (30-21-6-4) - 70
7. Milwaukee Admirals - 61 (29-20-6-6) - 70
8. Rockford IceHogs - 63 (30-24-5-4) - 69
---------------------------------------------------------
9. Oklahoma City Barons - 63 (29-26-1-7) - 66
10. Charlotte Checkers - 61 (31-27-1-2) - 65

so reaching the playoffs shouldn't be a problem ... 9 points ahead of OKC. Even with the depleted lineup, I doubt they'll fall out of the playoff picture. Would be important to finish 6th or better ... if they finish 7th or 8th, it will be a first round date with Grand Rapids or Texas, and that's something you'd want to avoid.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #67
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat are suffering now but come playoff time they could get all their guys back plus Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino and possibly Poirier, Kulak, Culkin, Klimchuck. Maybe even Monahan?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #68
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am pretty sure Monahan can't play for the Heat.

So etching about having to be on the roster at a certain point which is why some guys were waived back down and brought right back a week or two ago.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #69
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Granlund, Knight, Hanowski, and Wotherspoon could all be returned from the big club at some point.

Byron is gone for good, and Granlund may be injured long-term. Ferland will not return from injury this year. Baertschi and Jones should return at some point soon though.

Poirier might be able to do some damage, but expect players like Kulak, Culkin, Gordan, etc to be a little overwhelmed by the leap from junior to the pro ranks. It can take a year or two to smooth out the transition.

I think if Gaudreau/Arnold do well during trophy season, they could make an immediate impact. Klimchuk may be able to handle the jump as well.

Agostino will likely not play for either team this year (posters have speculated based on his ivy league degree/when exams end/historical comments)

Monahan will never be an AHLer. Congrats to him, sad for us.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #70
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The same was said about Baertschi. While he appears to be doing well in the NHL right now, anything can happen in the second year and I think saying we will never see him is a bit of a stretch.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #71
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Outside of a conditioning stint after an injury I can't see him ever going to AHL.

He is playing a much better overall game then Sven ever has and hard to imagine that in two years from now he would be in a spot where he would be down to the AHL.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #72
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
The same was said about Baertschi. While he appears to be doing well in the NHL right now, anything can happen in the second year and I think saying we will never see him is a bit of a stretch.

I'm basically going to guarantee we won't see Monahan. He's too poised, professional, and skilled. It's the difference between picking in the top-10 vs top-20. You won't see Monahan have any attitude problems or a weak camp like Baertschi did. And he's got the favor of the gm and coach.

I didn't expect Baertschi to get a free pass, and he didn't get one. I'm not expecting Monahan to get a free pass either, but he won't need one.

At the very least, he won't be a part of the 13-14 roster as he's ineligible.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Granlund, Knight, Hanowski, and Wotherspoon could all be returned from the big club at some point.

Byron is gone for good, and Granlund may be injured long-term. Ferland will not return from injury this year. Baertschi and Jones should return at some point soon though.

Poirier might be able to do some damage, but expect players like Kulak, Culkin, Gordan, etc to be a little overwhelmed by the leap from junior to the pro ranks. It can take a year or two to smooth out the transition.

I think if Gaudreau/Arnold do well during trophy season, they could make an immediate impact. Klimchuk may be able to handle the jump as well.

Agostino will likely not play for either team this year (posters have speculated based on his ivy league degree/when exams end/historical comments)

Just a note on Kulak, he played a few games for the Heat last season and IIRC he got some good reviews, so he may be useful.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #74
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Just a note on Kulak, he played a few games for the Heat last season and IIRC he got some good reviews, so he may be useful.
It shouldn't be understated that he has a solid foundation of knowledge of Ward's systems too.

His systems are heavily focuses on defense and Kulak's already played a handful of games in that system, so he could see some time for sure. I just don't know who he'd replace. Davies and Lafranchise have been solid for the most part.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby divers , start the 4th line