Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #21
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I will argue that those 4 are not only outliers, they also played a much larger role/minutes than a normal 3rd line center does. Bouts of time centering top lines with prime PP time when the top 6 centers were injured (Toews Concussion, Crosby and Malkins injury plagues previous 3 years).
I know. It's more likely he'll be a 30ish point guy if he plays on the 3rd line. I do believe he does have the ability to be a 50 point guy if he's playing on a bad team though.

Either way, if he develops as he is showing thus far, he'll be a very key contributor on the lower lines as we emerge on the other side of the rebuild.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 11-13-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I'd rather he stay in Abbotsford the whole year... we already don't have enough minutes for the guys we have and that will only be solved when Stajan is traded, plus we'll want to have a spot to give Arnold a post-grad audition, and I'm sure the heat could use him.
The Sharks traded Galiardi so they could make room for Hertl. No prior NHL or AHL experience. Time for the Flames to get comfortable making these kinds of moves. Stajan or Backlund have to go. Who's the rebuilding squad and who's the perennial contender?
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can he win a faceoff? because if he can he should be up here asap.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was just listening to the Fan960 and they had Troy Ward on. When asked about any individuals that deserved credit for recent success Ward did the usual "team efforts" reference that you would expect. When he got past the political correctness the first name he mentioned was Corban Knight.

I really don't have an issue with some of these guys playing full years with the Heat. Troy Ward continues to do an excellent job and really seems to be on the same page as Hartley and the organization as a whole. He is building complete players.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think we could see Jackman, Cammy, Stempniak, and Stajan all moved at the deadline. At that time we will see some of the AHL guys come up for their cup of coffee.

I think we should give it time, let him to continue to win and play a big role on a Heat team that is the best in the AHL, and in the long term that may be better for his growth.

Also think that is why they are being harder on Backlund and Baertschi, they are going to need to be relied on as leaders once we move out some of the other veterans.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Think we could see Jackman, Cammy, Stempniak, and Stajan all moved at the deadline. At that time we will see some of the AHL guys come up for their cup of coffee.
Jackman is dead weight, but I think sending all three of Cammalleri, Stempniak and Stajan packing could be a mistake. We need some veterans and continuity to keep things rolling, and these are all good character guys that bring things we need.

That said, yeah, I could see that happening.

Cammalleri probably wants to go cup-chasing, and if he keeps playing like he has, he could bring back really good value.

It's great to have a center that can shelter the other centers somewhat, and I don't think Stajan will have inflated value, but his lack of physicality is kind of a problem. So if somebody makes a good offer, no reason to turn that down.

Stempniak could really go either way. He's a nice depth guy who could have inflated value, but depending on who else is on the market and how many other guys we move, he could easily end up staying, as he's pretty valuable for us too.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Jackman is dead weight, but I think sending all three of Cammalleri, Stempniak and Stajan packing could be a mistake. We need some veterans and continuity to keep things rolling, and these are all good character guys that bring things we need.

That said, yeah, I could see that happening.

Cammalleri probably wants to go cup-chasing, and if he keeps playing like he has, he could bring back really good value.

It's great to have a center that can shelter the other centers somewhat, and I don't think Stajan will have inflated value, but his lack of physicality is kind of a problem. So if somebody makes a good offer, no reason to turn that down.

Stempniak could really go either way. He's a nice depth guy who could have inflated value, but depending on who else is on the market and how many other guys we move, he could easily end up staying, as he's pretty valuable for us too.
I think the same way. However, I don't think Feaster will sit idle in the off-season and not get some quality character vets in to replace them. Need to hit the cap floor at any rate. Giordano is here for leadership (as is Wideman I would say). Glencross and Hudler will also be around. McGrattan will most likely be there too, and seems like a guy that helps hold that room together well.

Cammalleri will be tough to replace, but that is just part of the rebuild. Stempniak had a bounce-back 2 years here - many didn't want to see him return after his first season. Hopefully they will be able to find another player that requires a change of scenery and a chance.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
The Sharks traded Galiardi so they could make room for Hertl. No prior NHL or AHL experience. Time for the Flames to get comfortable making these kinds of moves. Stajan or Backlund have to go. Who's the rebuilding squad and who's the perennial contender?
No they didn't. They traded him to make room for Tim Kennedy.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking ahead to next year, it is very likely that Poirier and Gaudreau are in the starting lineup in addition to whomever we pick with our first this year (assuming forward due to there only being Ekblad in the top 8)

The forward group is already somewhat congested already, so moving out a few guys like Cammalleri, Stempniak, Stajan and Jackman will do nothing but make more room for kids to come up and play. I know we still need some veteran experience, but that can be acquired through free agency or trade.

It's really difficult finding the right balance because the Flames have a problem in that we might have too many good forward prospects at the moment. If only we could make a trade with Buffalo to get a couple of their good d prospects like say McNabb and Gauthier Leduc for a similar pair of our guys like say Granlund and Hanowski or something.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Looking ahead to next year, it is very likely that Poirier and Gaudreau are in the starting lineup in addition to whomever we pick with our first this year (assuming forward due to there only being Ekblad in the top 8)

The forward group is already somewhat congested already, so moving out a few guys like Cammalleri, Stempniak, Stajan and Jackman will do nothing but make more room for kids to come up and play. I know we still need some veteran experience, but that can be acquired through free agency or trade.

It's really difficult finding the right balance because the Flames have a problem in that we might have too many good forward prospects at the moment. If only we could make a trade with Buffalo to get a couple of their good d prospects like say McNabb and Gauthier Leduc for a similar pair of our guys like say Granlund and Hanowski or something.
You really think Poirier is ready for the show next year? He seemed to me like a prospect who was a potential 20-21 year old graduate.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I can't see Poirier with the big club next year. A full year in Abby would be more likely IMO.

I think Gaudreau is almost a given.

I think one of Knight or Reinhart seems likely

One of the defensemen: Sieloff, Wotherspoon or Ramage is a pretty good possibility

And maybe one surprise from the rest: Granlund, Ferland, Agostino, Hanowski etc

And if we draft top 3, they might stick as well.

That's 3 or 4 more rookies next year, after adding 3 + Bouma this year
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #32
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
You really think Poirier is ready for the show next year? He seemed to me like a prospect who was a potential 20-21 year old graduate.
I thought he could've possibly been good enough to get a 9 game trial this season if it wasn't for the lack of roster spots. He has been very impressive thus far this season. He's definitely fast enough and big enough to play a 3rd line role like Monahan is currently. I wouldn't be rushing him on the 1st or 2nd line, but I don't see him needing much if any time in the AHL. His overall skill level is too high for that.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #33
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, I can't see Poirier with the big club next year. A full year in Abby would be more likely IMO.

One of the defensemen: Sieloff, Wotherspoon or Ramage is a pretty good possibility

Damn do I want to agree with you, but Johnny Hockey hasn't given any indication either way.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

please don't start that again!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #35
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I think he's a given for the AHL. I believe Johnny really needs to be eased into the pro game. The AHL will get him accustomed to the size of the NHL, but the game will be slow enough that it will still resemble NCAA hockey.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #36
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was Corban Knight thread?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Knight is fourth in AHL rookie scoring, second in team scoring with 16 points and leads the Heat with a +8 rating.

Pretty impressive start for him. I think we've got a player on our hands.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #38
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I am a fan of Corbin's heel to toe drag top cheddar snipes. I am just worried they may not work in the NHL.

Kids go some nice hand eye though.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #39
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Corbin's
Corban

It's even in the thread title.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #40
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am a fan of Corbin's heel to toe drag top cheddar snipes. I am just worried they may not work in the NHL.

Kids go some nice hand eye though.
Eberle says that it works about 1 time in 10 in the NHL, and the other 9 times you look like an idiot.