Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #341
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I have although not very long. I did get a "bigger Winnipeg" vibe from it though.

One of the factors for me is I want to move to a place that has game studios I want to work at. Edmonton doesn't even though they have Bioware which is a studio whose games I've never been into. I've heard from people who have worked there it can be a nightmare too. Calgary doesn't either so it's not a place I'm eyeing.

Going back to Vancouver where I lived for 5.5 years before having to move back to The Pas is where I have my sights set but I'd go out east too. Covid has kind of screwed up my plans though.
Vancouver to The Pas is wild.

There's only so much good thymes, pyrgo's pizza and people driving 30 km per hour one can stand. If you think that's isolating, try visit Thompson sometime. I did 5-6 years there.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #342
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I lived in The Pas recently for 3 years. I lived in Edmonton before then. Many people say Winnipeg = Edmonton. I found that to be false. I really liked Edmonton. The river valley was great for biking and running. The restuarants were really good and the weather was way warmer than anywhere in Manitoba when winter came around. Plus you have the Rockies a few hours away. I know it runs contrary to theme of many of these posts, but if you've never spent time there, give it a try.

My dad was born and raised in the Pas.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #343
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Vancouver to The Pas is wild.

There's only so much good thymes, pyrgo's pizza and people driving 30 km per hour one can stand. If you think that's isolating, try visit Thompson sometime. I did 5-6 years there.
I was born in Thompson because Wabowden doesn't have a hospital. We would drive there every Friday to shop until I was 12 and we moved to The Pas.

I can see why people who love the outdoors might like The Pas but I hate it. So do my parents and sister but my sister is stuck here atleast until my niece graduates in a few years and my dad keeps telling my mom he still needs to work a bit more before he can retire.

I regret moving back here every day but I was put in a tough situation where I had to choose between staying out there another 3 months and risk running out of money completely or moving back home until I found something somewhere. That was 3 years ago and I've found it's even tougher finding work being an "out of towner". I'm hoping that this freelance work helps as far as industry experience goes.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #344
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Well, will be getting an interview next week out of the preliminary phone call I got this morning. That's good news.
Video Call interview this afternoon.

Man, I hope this one works out.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #345
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
So I have an interview set up on Friday in Edmonton, and have a zoom interview set up on Wednesday morning for a position in Vernon BC.
I've been looking since the middle of April, so I'm really hoping one of these comes through. I don't love the idea of moving (especially to Edmonton), but it seems like Calgary is in a massive rut, and I really don't have a lot of hope for the foreseeable future.
I've actually really enjoyed my time in Edmonton. Been here for a few years now. Can visit Calgary on the weekends if I need to. The best part of this is that when visiting Calgary, it feels fresh and exciting and I enjoy it more.

Edmonton has a great food scene, outdoor culture, and laid back vibe. Plus the weather is warmer and more stable in the summer!

Ping me if you have questions. Happy to answer.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Video Call interview this afternoon.

Man, I hope this one works out.

Go get em han solo

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #347
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thought it went well, I should be going for an in person interview next week likely.

They seemed to like me and my credentials.

Fingers crossed.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #348
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys,

Any suggestions for IT headhunters? I’ve been laid off for 6 weeks now and starting to pick up the job search. The time off was nice but I know these things can take a while, especially now. I’d love to be working in the fall at the latest if possible.

I’m registered with SI Systems and Teksystems but since I haven’t had to look for work in over 12 years, I’m pretty much starting from the beginning. I have managed to update my resume with help of a branding coach that was provided as part of a career transition program offered that was part of my severance. I have to say that it looks much better now.

Thanks.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #349
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lock and Associates is a good one
David Aplin and Associates
A friend of mine runs an independent agency that focuses around tech for SMB sphere, MVP Talent Search.
I'd recommend my former company, but I just can't, I don't think it would be a good fit anyways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #350
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it rains it pours.
Had an interview on Wednesday, got a job offer on Thursday, another interview yesterday that I thought went very well, and a company that I've worked on and off with for a while asked me to hold off on making any decision until next week, as they're confident they have a position for me.
I'm 99% going to go with the concrete offer on the table though, as the company seems good, and it seems like a great place to get my feet wet after finishing my master's

Long story short, looks like I'm moving to Vernon!
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #351
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Congrats that's great news though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #352
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Congrats Nerder, it's always great to expand outside the home base, great for the portfolio and to see our huge country! Have to say I'm somewhat envious!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #353
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If there are any tech folks looking for work right now here's an event you might want to "attend". I'm not affiliated with them but saw it on Twitter and thought I'd share.

At the Live Tech, Love Life Career Fair & Showcase hosted by Calgary Economic Development and Tech West Collective, connect with over 35 of Calgary’s leading tech companies who are hiring.

Explore nearly 300 open positions being recruited for by these game-changing organizations who are harnessing technology to solve global challenges.

Register
Register as an Attendee (Job Seeker) below.

Connect
Connect with our featured companies and visit their virtual booth in the Exhibitor Hall.

Network
Network with attendees via instant message.

Learn
Attend our opening and closing sessions.

Best for
Mid to senior-level tech talent (mid-level, 3-6 years, senior, 7+ years).

Please, no recruitment agencies

https://pheedloop.com/livetechloveli...site/register/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #354
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Here's a question I'd like some insight on.

I have two interviews coming up. The first one is a small place which is a great opportunity. The second is a dream job.

I've been told I'm being interviewed for the dream job (actually its a second interview) but scheduling due to summer vacations is difficult so its not scheduled yet. The first interview for the dream job went really well, and it wouldn't surprise me if the second interview is a formality.

I'd prefer the dream job, but don't want to get my hopes up, especially at the expense of another great position.

Logically, I'm approaching both as great opportunities, and that neither is a shoo-in. I'm interviewing with the small place next and given our correspondence its possible if the interview goes well I'd be offered the position then and there.

If that happens, what do I say as to not offend, nor close the door on the dream job?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #355
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tough one, in this day and age, first of all its important to put things in perspective.

With the Dream Job, the first interview has lead to the second interview, but there are still a lot of ifs. Second interviews are hyper competitive and especially now, even though there's some recovery on the jobless rate.

With the smaller one, if the interview goes well they could generate an offer at the table. I'm always a little suspicious about that because it tells me that they didn't have much interest in the position, or there's something else there that's making them rush to hire.

First thing I would do is approach the dream job, and tell them that you respect their schedule but your getting to late stages on other opportunities, so you need a firm grasp on the process and chances. If you're of that much interest they'll move the sun to get you. It might help you speed things up.

With the second company, its great that they're willing to offer at the table, but they should understand if you need a bit of time to run the numbers so to speak, they'll likely give you an offer letter with an expiration date.

You're playing double musical chairs.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #356
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If there are any tech folks looking for work right now here's an event you might want to "attend". I'm not affiliated with them but saw it on Twitter and thought I'd share.

At the Live Tech, Love Life Career Fair & Showcase hosted by Calgary Economic Development and Tech West Collective, connect with over 35 of Calgary’s leading tech companies who are hiring.

Explore nearly 300 open positions being recruited for by these game-changing organizations who are harnessing technology to solve global challenges.

Register
Register as an Attendee (Job Seeker) below.

Connect
Connect with our featured companies and visit their virtual booth in the Exhibitor Hall.

Network
Network with attendees via instant message.

Learn
Attend our opening and closing sessions.

Best for
Mid to senior-level tech talent (mid-level, 3-6 years, senior, 7+ years).

Please, no recruitment agencies

https://pheedloop.com/livetechloveli...site/register/
Did anybody go to this? Curious what it was like.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #357
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am probably jaded, but I found these career fair kind of useless. You go there and all they tell you is to look at their website for job openings. And of course there are no jobs on their site.

Yeah, I look through Indeed, LinkedIn Jobs, and many other places, I don't need to go to an event to have someone telling me to go to their website which has nothing.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #358
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've come across a few brand new (ie that day) job postings in the last 2-3 weeks where the post had either no deadline or one several weeks away... but then within 2 days was closed to further applicants. What gives?

I say that... yet I was short short listed for an interview a couple weeks back and then the day before they cancelled the interview with the story that they'd gone too far prior to proper financial approvals... and subsequently the role was cancelled. aaaargh.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #359
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I've come across a few brand new (ie that day) job postings in the last 2-3 weeks where the post had either no deadline or one several weeks away... but then within 2 days was closed to further applicants. What gives?

I say that... yet I was short short listed for an interview a couple weeks back and then the day before they cancelled the interview with the story that they'd gone too far prior to proper financial approvals... and subsequently the role was cancelled. aaaargh.
That's happens. Before I got laid off myself, we were looking for a summer student. Had the financial approvals but then the company asked us to see if we can cut some spend. Cutting the role was the easiest way to save some money, so we terminated the position unfortunately, even after interviews.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #360
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am probably jaded, but I found these career fair kind of useless. You go there and all they tell you is to look at their website for job openings. And of course there are no jobs on their site.

Yeah, I look through Indeed, LinkedIn Jobs, and many other places, I don't need to go to an event to have someone telling me to go to their website which has nothing.
I completely agree. Especially these online fairs.

It's usually just 5-30 HR folks or C suite types basically having a circle jerk while 1000 or so job seekers listen in. You always here the same crap "we're excited for the future. We see tremendous growth in the coming year. Calgary is positioned so well to fill our growth....yada yada".

Then you're "encouraged" to apply online, no matter your background. Never given a chance to talk to anyone.

It's like a real life version of a Black Mirror episode. I hate online career fairs with the intensity of a thousand suns.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post: