Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #5561
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
That was my impression as well, although they did secure a big bank note just as #### hit the fan so I guess that could be considered cash in a way. Definitely an interesting company, I'm really curious what their strategy could be. Their whole M.O. has been to acquire companies on the cheap but at a certain point there's only so much you can buy before you start to wonder why they're so cheap, and you need the cycle to swing back in a big way to justify your investment. The last three major purchases in this basin, by my count, have all been by them, Devon Oil Sands in 2019, Shell Albian Mine in 2017, and Devon Conventional/Natural Gas in 2014. They're also the largest natural gas producer and oil producer so it's not like they have any holes in their asset portfolio, except for a prominent downstream presence. It makes me wonder about Husky, they're struggling pretty hard, foreign owned by someone in Hong Kong (read: China now), have a lot of thermal assets that fit well in CNRL's preferred execution plan, and have downstream refineries and such. That would be a major major purchase, cash alone wouldn't be enough to get that one done.
CNRL is an entirely different animal than most oilsands operators. They operate INCREDIBLY lean, and pinch pennies like an Irish potato farmer (hence their low cost/BBL). From a supplier standpoint it's great when you hit on something that they like, because they IMMEDIATELY implement it across their operation. It sucks when it happens to you though....I've been undercut and left freezing in the dark a few times on a few projects, and had my pricing used against other suppliers to drive their purchase cost down.

If they bought out Husky or Imperial I would expect half the employees to get turfed, and be replaced with their business model which is the Murray Edwards special. Get one guy to do the job of three, work them like pack mules, and drive efficiencies out of every corner of your operation. It's actually pretty impressive to watch when it works. I have no idea how they manage it, I would burn out in a month if I worked there.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #5562
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Not too sure, but I don't think so. I believe their FY 2019 showed a cash balance of approx 5 billion. I don't know where they are at the moment though.

CNRL stock hovering around $25 and if they do have free cash, it's not outrageous to imagine a stock-for-stock transaction with a cash portion for an undervalued asset like Husky or Imperial. I don't work with any of those 2 operators, but word on the street is Imperial can barely keep the lights on.

All Orange Julius territory however, so take with grain of salt.
There 2020 Q1 says 1.1 billion of cash and 5.0 billion of liquidity. Liquidity just means they have credit facilities in place to borrow 5 billion. The FY 2019 BS/cash flow statement shows 139 mil of cash and equivalents with the notes disclosing 4.7 million of credit facilities available for use.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harju For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #5563
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
CNRL is an entirely different animal than most oilsands operators. They operate INCREDIBLY lean, and pinch pennies like an Irish potato farmer (hence their low cost/BBL). From a supplier standpoint it's great when you hit on something that they like, because they IMMEDIATELY implement it across their operation. It sucks when it happens to you though....I've been undercut and left freezing in the dark a few times on a few projects, and had my pricing used against other suppliers to drive their purchase cost down.

If they bought out Husky or Imperial I would expect half the employees to get turfed, and be replaced with their business model which is the Murray Edwards special. Get one guy to do the job of three, work them like pack mules, and drive efficiencies out of every corner of your operation. It's actually pretty impressive to watch when it works. I have no idea how they manage it, I would burn out in a month if I worked there.
As an outsider, they sound like a great company with good operational discipline.

However, it's always puzzled me how/why people stay there long term. Last year, they made me a job offer that was embarrassingly low (I rejected it). The obviously overworked recruiter didn't do much in the way of creating a good candidate experience. Both of the hiring managers left CNRL 6-12 months later. I've also never met anyone with glowing praise about working for CNRL (especially ex-Devon and Shell people).

They'll probably be the last Canadian energy company left standing when all is said and done, but it's such an interesting dynamic with their employees.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #5564
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post

However, it's always puzzled me how/why people stay there long term. Last year, they made me a job offer that was embarrassingly low (I rejected it). The obviously overworked recruiter didn't do much in the way of creating a good candidate experience. Both of the hiring managers left CNRL 6-12 months later. I've also never met anyone with glowing praise about working for CNRL (especially ex-Devon and Shell people).
Hence the backronym C#### No one Really Likes. I know a few companies that won't bid work with them because the contracts have a ridiculous amount of risk on the contractor. More than a few big jobs with them have ended up in litigation.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 PM   #5565
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harju View Post
There 2020 Q1 says 1.1 billion of cash and 5.0 billion of liquidity. Liquidity just means they have credit facilities in place to borrow 5 billion. The FY 2019 BS/cash flow statement shows 139 mil of cash and equivalents with the notes disclosing 4.7 million of credit facilities available for use.
It's not really about cash and liquidity when it comes down to their willingness to do an acquisition. It is really about their overall debt level and leverage. Most estimates today would have CNRL's leverage around 3 - 4x in 2021, which is quite a bit higher than historical and well above their target of 1.5x. That means that any major acquisition would likely have to deleverage the business pro-forma, which would be a challenge to do in this environment since most of the other oil sands companies have similar or higher leverage.

I think we will have to see oil prices in the $50/bbl range for a period before there will be major M&A in the oil sands. There is just too much debt being carried by every player.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #5566
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would invite everyone to read up on the James Bay hydro project. The ecological damage of such a project to native wildlife is out of the realm of anything a modern, regulated oil extraction project could produce.

Quebec got their infrastructure built to sell energy to foreign consumers, and are now trying to shut Alberta energy in. We need leadership that doesn't pander to any region, and try and become a nation again.

Last edited by Flacker; 07-31-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #5567
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And so it begins.

Canadian Natural Acquires Painted Pony
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #5568
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Stocks?

Will they still be offering stocks or merging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #5569
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Will they still be offering stocks or merging ?
Its a cash deal, all Pony shareholders will get $0.69 a share.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #5570
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #5571
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Its a cash deal, all Pony shareholders will get $0.69 a share.
Money go Brrrrrr :P
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #5572
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Heard though the grapevine CNRL is hoarding cash like they were before they bought out Shell. I would think this is likely due to Covid, but with those guys who knows. I also spoke with one of the "higher ups" up there that mentioned they are now sub $20/BBL (I believe the figure tossed around was around $15-$17). Add in the wage subsidy and they are likely sub $10/BBL which is nuts.......that's Saudi territory.

If they are generating that kind of money I wouldn't be surprised to see them go shopping.
These numbers are all public information FYI. Their op costs were below $20 for the mines last quarter....their G&A is 85 cents/bbl. So even if they paid their employees 0$ it's not going to move the dial sub $10/bbl lol
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:54 AM   #5573
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/2...oil/index.html

For the first time in 92 years Exxon is no longer part of the Dow Jones. Replaced by a tech company, in 2008 Energy companies made up 16% of the S&P 500 now only 2.5%. Chevron now only oil company on the Dow. Analysts cited bad financial decisions particularly investing in the Canadian Oil Sands as one of the reasons for Exxon's mighty fall.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #5574
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Macquarie Capital and a handful of other development sponsors announced they have successfully closed financing for the C$1.5 billion ($1.2 billion U.S.) Cascade Power Project, a 900-MW combined cycle natural gas-fired generating plant near Edson, Alberta.
https://www.powermag.com/constructio...nt-in-alberta/

Some good news, at 60% efficiency this will help reduce emissions by offsetting coal, and provide stable base load. More of these, please.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #5575
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.powermag.com/constructio...nt-in-alberta/

Some good news, at 60% efficiency this will help reduce emissions by offsetting coal, and provide stable base load. More of these, please.
That article says the power is already contracted and they have their gas linked spread locked in, if I read it correctly. So its guaranteed money for the developers. I'm curious who is buying the power, anyone know?

Or is it a capacity type long term deal with the power pool where we are all on the hook for the economics.

If someone is building an energy only plant in AB right now that is great news, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #5576
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Coal exports are set to expand on the west coast to supply Asia with the energy they require. Meanwhile leaner fuel sources such as lighter end petroleum products are left in the dust. Still massively in demand- we just refuse to give it to them for no reason (literally). I can’t get more specific than that, but it is precisely what is happening.

I don’t know how this reconciles with Trudeau’s green energy future but for some reason I guess I’m cynical that Trudeau’s green energy future has very, very, very little to do with green just like all other counter-logical Canadian decisions and policies put forward over the last few years have been when it comes to actually giving a #### about the environment (hint: nobody actually does).

I wonder when Trudeau and friends will realize that Asian energy demand is consumed actually in the same biosphere as ours? That the same air we all share on Earth is actually... you know... connected.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-10-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #5577
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Coal exports are set to expand on the west coast to supply Asia with the energy they require. Meanwhile leaner fuel sources such as lighter end petroleum products are left in the dust. Still massively in demand- we just refuse to give it to them for no reason (literally). I can’t get more specific than that, but it is precisely what is happening.

I don’t know how this reconciles with Trudeau’s green energy future but for some reason I guess I’m cynical that Trudeau’s green energy future has very, very, very little to do with green just like all other counter-logical Canadian decisions and policies put forward over the last few years have been when it comes to actually giving a #### about the environment (hint: nobody actually does).

I wonder when Trudeau and friends will realize that Asian energy demand is consumed actually in the same biosphere as ours? That the same air we all share on Earth is actually... you know... connected.
If its the same coal as whats mined out of south eastern BC, that coal isn't used as energy, rather for its uses in metallurgy. Since it is of very high quality, that coal is often used in the production of metals as it has very few contaminants compared to your average coal.

I'm not saying that's what its used for, I was just under the assumption that if its coal from BC, its probably metallurgical.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #5578
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1309620201084915713
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #5579
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

More Liberal votes to buy out there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #5580
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

So there's going to be a task force because they don't know what to do with the money, but somehow they know that they've got the right amount?

Last edited by SebC; 09-25-2020 at 08:13 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote