Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #2161
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

K I live in Inglewood. WTF is the Torode building? The only really bad building I can think of is maybe the fairly bland one across from Blues Can?

I oppose the building, but I’m pretty anti-Development, let me see the sunshine, #### odd with your overpriced apartment type of mindset. Kind of the polar opposite of what moves a City ahead, if you will.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #2162
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
K I live in Inglewood. WTF is the Torode building? The only really bad building I can think of is maybe the fairly bland one across from Blues Can?

I oppose the building, but I’m pretty anti-Development, let me see the sunshine, #### odd with your overpriced apartment type of mindset. Kind of the polar opposite of what moves a City ahead, if you will.
This one:
NSFW!

Just looks so cheaply made.

Last edited by J pold; 07-28-2020 at 08:51 PM.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #2163
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eww. It gets worse the more you look.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #2164
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not looking to pick a fight, but that’s the mentality that moves cities out, not up.

I also totally get it if you’re in the shadow of a new development, but it’s been pretty obvious for a couple decades now that being a block or two north of a Main Street is precarious in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #2165
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That thing is atrocious, I can't believe that managed its way into Inglewood. I'd expect that on the fringes of Seton or some city boundary planned medium-density neighborhood, but not there.

It's almost worth NSFW tags.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #2166
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn’t they splash some funky paint or something on it. That brown is so Nevada strip mall.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #2167
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It's almost worth NSFW tags.
Done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:34 AM   #2168
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Not looking to pick a fight, but that’s the mentality that moves cities out, not up.

I also totally get it if you’re in the shadow of a new development, but it’s been pretty obvious for a couple decades now that being a block or two north of a Main Street is precarious in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I totally agree. If my take on development guided it, we'd still be a small town, with a piss poor economy.

One thing that bothers me though is the lack of road development that can accommodate such high density. Roads planning in Inglewood has been a huge grip of mine. All that work on the zoo bridge over to memorial, and I don't see how it can accommodate the several hundred more residential units that are coming to the area. But I'm sure they'll all ride bicycles and work remotely, so I fully expect there to be a lack of parking consideration as well.

Also, not keen on rental specific buildings. I say that as a renter, and probably with a bit of a prejudice.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #2169
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I totally agree. If my take on development guided it, we'd still be a small town, with a piss poor economy.

One thing that bothers me though is the lack of road development that can accommodate such high density. Roads planning in Inglewood has been a huge grip of mine. All that work on the zoo bridge over to memorial, and I don't see how it can accommodate the several hundred more residential units that are coming to the area. But I'm sure they'll all ride bicycles and work remotely, so I fully expect there to be a lack of parking consideration as well.

Also, not keen on rental specific buildings. I say that as a renter, and probably with a bit of a prejudice.
Green Line should help alleviate this (congestion) to some regard.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #2170
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well at least you are aware that your NIMBY-ism is biased lol.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #2171
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what to think about The Hub Development on 16th & Crowchild.

High end student housing but the building just looks...off.

https://thehubcalgary.ca/
Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #2172
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's because they based the building off of a Steve model.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-22-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #2173
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Not sure what to think about The Hub Development on 16th & Crowchild.

High end student housing but the building just looks...off.

https://thehubcalgary.ca/
I'm not going to lie... this thing really had me steaming mad for months, from when it was announced to when it was under construction.

Now that it's done, and I see it in the distance on the horizon acting as a complete juxtaposition to the rest of the area's urban context... I'm starting to appreciate how viciously bold this design is. I will admit that it wasn't the building's intention though.

It's still a pig, but now to me, it seems to have grown a spectacle and a British accent.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #2174
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You need to move out to the country - my view will never be obstructed and lots of sunshine

Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #2175
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
You need to move out to the country - my view will never be obstructed and lots of sunshine

Spoiler!

C'mon Shin Pad, those green Q-tip thingys standing vertically in the background or obstructing the view. Cut them down.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #2176
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

They were there when I bought the place. Actually I'm thinking of moving them. I have a lot of trees out front, but on the back side, I want to leave it as unobstructed as possible. When we were planting the trees on the front (all were 100 mm caliper or bigger), the guy with the tree spade said he could easily move them.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #2177
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were there when I bought the place. Actually I'm thinking of moving them. I have a lot of trees out front, but on the back side, I want to leave it as unobstructed as possible. When we were planting the trees on the front (all were 100 mm caliper or bigger), the guy with the tree spade said he could easily move them.
Haha all good, I probably should have put my text in green
Old 10-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #2178
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

No need - it is kind of funny to see a few trees like that sticking up. They are actually fairly decent sized trees - considering they never get watered. But then again, they are poplar - but there are also 7 decent sized elm back there as well (not in the picture)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #2179
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sweet wagon wheel.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #2180
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I have a bunch of neat western stuff. Just above the wagon wheel, hanging on the post is a branding iron with my initial on it.