Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #81
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they're going to retire 25 and 2 and then put 14 up in the Forever a Flame category to really anger some fans!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #82
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not nearly as dumb as not having 14 already in the rafters. Ohhh, he had 66 goals in one season and has a cool mustache. Great. People argue Chopper should not have his number retired because of his contribution to the Blues but Lanny McDonald is more of a Leaf points wise than a Flame. Sorry but Fleury and MacInnis contributed way more then Lanny ever did to the Calgary Flames. Anyone saying Fleury should not be retired either never was around for that era or just have a personal vendetta against the guy. If the dollar doesn't crash and we could have kept him here as long as Iggy played here he finishes first in all offensive numbers and it wouldn't have been even remotely close.
Ignore lists rule so hard
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #83
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While we're at it Robyn Regehr should have 28 retired. Don't care about career numbers this guy was a backbone of the team for many years. Second to only Iginla in games played and one of the best defensive hard hitting defenceman in the NHL for almost a decade.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #84
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

2 5 9 12 14 25 28 30 34

A bit much.

Last edited by David Struch; 03-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #85
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So how do they do this?

They can't have two more ceremonies as both players already had one. Do they do a joint release as apologize for the two tier system? Or just a politically correct announcement of moving the players up in status?

I'm glad it's being looked at, but its not easy to wiggle out from under.
Toronto did it to kick off their 100th anniversary season. Maybe Flames can do the same to kick off their 40th anniversary season next year.

They announced that all their "honoured" numbers would be retired and also announced that additionally, Dave Keon's 14 would also be retired. Flames could literally do the same thing right down to the number 14.

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/...rs/c-282696202

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #86
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Todd Simpson had a good game as the captain of the Flames once. Let's retire his number. And Val Bure was the face of the franchise so why not #8. Maybe make it "Full House" night and invite the entire Tanner family.

This thread has gone absolutely bananas.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #87
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Hey Todd Simpson had a good game as the captain of the Flames once. Let's retire his number. And Val Bure was the face of the franchise so why not #8. Maybe make it "Full House" night and invite the entire Tanner family.

Suggesting that adding some slugs because various people think that guys like Fleury, Newy and Regher should be added is quite a bit more ridiculous that discussing those debatable deserving guys.

Me thinks you're the monkey in the thread.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #88
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think 2 should be retired. Probably not 25 but as others have mentioned they’ve kind of backed themselves into a corner.

Personally I think taking down the banners to honour them in the concourse is a bigger slap in the face than FaF was in the first place. I say bite the bullet, retire 2 and 25 to save face and from here on out only Iginla type players get their jersey retired.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #89
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do a "ring of honour" type of thing, just put the numbers on the 2nd level balcony where now the LCD advertising boards are. I can't imagine that will take up too much advertising space.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #90
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
And just who in the hell do you think you are to tell me to cheer for a different team? How can possibly argue Lanny McDonald should have his number up there while two players who did much more on the ice for them are not retired? Wait, I don't care because some irrelevant nobody who tries to dictate who I can cheer for says so. People can have differing views. Don't like it? Nobody cares guy.
You are really under rating Lanny’s impact as an athlete to this city. No other athlete has come close to the love affair he had with fans, which transcends his actual on ice impact. Timing was certainly a big part of that.

That doesn’t mean I disagree with you on Fleury.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #91
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m not too concerned when and who they retire as long as this order gets done first

A: Win the Cup
B: when the dome retires offer not sell the long time season ticket holders their seats

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla

Last edited by Mitt31; 03-13-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #92
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacInnis is the only only player who should have his number retired IMO
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #93
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They set the bar for jersey retirement’s with Vernon. Fleury, MacInnis, and Kipper all deserve it more.

Make it happen. One every two years.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #94
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You are really under rating Lanny’s impact as an athlete to this city. No other athlete has come close to the love affair he had with fans, which transcends his actual on ice impact. Timing was certainly a big part of that.

That doesn’t mean I disagree with you on Fleury.
You are probably right and being from Ontario I never got to see that community impact.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #95
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
No MacInnis, no Cup. His needs to be retired.
Same can be said about Joe Nieuwendyk.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #96
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Maybe Flames can do the same to kick off their 40th anniversary season next year.
This makes sense.

Both MacInnis' and Nieuwendyk's numbers elevated to full retired status and in the same ceremony, have 14 raised to the rafters too.

Relations between Fleury and the organization have warmed up in recent years. Although not part of the Iginla official ceremony, Fleury was cordial and publicly praised his former teammate.

Having 2, 25 and 14 all retired on the same night also makes it less about Theo and more about the team.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #97
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I think 2 should be retired. Probably not 25 but as others have mentioned they’ve kind of backed themselves into a corner.

Personally I think taking down the banners to honour them in the concourse is a bigger slap in the face than FaF was in the first place. I say bite the bullet, retire 2 and 25 to save face and from here on out only Iginla type players get their jersey retired.
Do something like the Blue Jays did with their "Level of Excellence" to replace the FaF program. Designate a spot in the Saddledome (or new arena), preferably in view of the seating bowl, and paint the honoured player's name and number right on the wall. That way it doesn't change the fact that the player is honoured, just tweaks the format. The FaF thing was always a weird program anyway the way it created this kind of limbo where the player was recognized but not retired, but the precedents have been set now and the Level of Excellence thing would allow that to continue (and the organization to save face in the process) without all the confusion and goofiness of banners going to the rafters that don't really belong there.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really think they need to at the very least honour Peter Chiarelli for his contribution to Alberta NHL hockey before they close the lid on this. You can argue his work has resulted in more joyous moments for Flames fans over the past few years than even Brad Treliving.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #99
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what if Macinnis is involved more with the Blues, he was a huge part of Flames history same with Nieuwendyk. Both deserve to be retired along with Fleury all three are huge in Flames greatest moments. It's not like McDonald isnt involved with the Maple Leafs alumni.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #100
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

When was Val Bure the face of the franchise?

There have been only three of those in the history of the franchise IMO. Guys that were known to the even the most casual fan.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote