Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Photo radar warnings coming to Google Maps in Canada

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/0...rs_a_23684996/

Drivers using Google Maps are getting a last-minute warning as they approach some photo radar camera locations.

The feature, which is currently being rolled out by Google, allows users to see speed limits, speed cameras and mobile speed cameras on the map before they leave.

It also gives a verbal warning — an automated voice saying "speed camera ahead" — when drivers are near a fixed speed camera.

Police in Calgary say the feature is useful to them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
allows users to see speed limits
That update was much overdue. Only time I ever switch to the in-car nav is for that feature.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #3
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Police in Calgary say the feature is useful to them.
How? They have access to collected telemetry?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I foresee some rear-enders as people slam on their brakes in response.

But if it encourages people to slow down though that’s good. Police could maybe even just update Google Maps with fake camera locations to get people to slow down too. Well, I don’t know if they can or not.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A better response would be to drive the speed limit.

Then again risking an accident or personal injury is worth the 30 seconds speeding saves you on travel time.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How? They have access to collected telemetry?
From the article...

Quote:
"The biggest thing we love ... is we place those (cameras) by collision statistics," said Sgt. Joerg Gottschling of the Calgary Police Service traffic section. "If we do a new site, if we are going to install a new camera, the next site is always selected by the next highest crash site.

"Our intersection locations are all determined where we are trying to eliminate collisions."

Gottschling said they've had up to a 50 per cent reduction in collisions in some areas where those cameras are stationed.

With Google Maps, he noted, all drivers approaching the fixed camera intersection get the warning.

"That camera is only facing one way," said Gottschling. "Let's say it's only facing northbound, but you can approach southbound or eastbound ... you are still going to get Google telling you caution.

"So you're going to go slowly and cautiously through there which, lo and behold, is actually what we want."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Waze has had this for ages, and it isn’t an immediate, panicky alert. I think it bings more than 100 metres in advance (can’t remember the exact amount, but it could even be 500 metres, and to be honest, most of the time you already know the intersection has one.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Waze has had this for ages, and it isn’t an immediate, panicky alert. I think it bings more than 100 metres in advance (can’t remember the exact amount, but it could even be 500 metres, and to be honest, most of the time you already know the intersection has one.
I use Waze in CarPlay in my car all the time and it works very well as there's plenty of advance notice. Google bought Waze so they are likely implementing a similar system to what Waze developed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been getting these notifications from google for several weeks already, this must just be the official roll out?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I am not a prolific speeder, I do tend to follow the flow of traffic and prefer not to set the pace, fast or slow.

I have found that using Waze daily has really changed my outlook on speeding in general. The ETA that the app gives is astonishingly accurate, even when you feel like you need to hurry and put your foot down a little. If you rush, you just don't shave a significant amount of time, if any, off of your ETA.

Plus, the little reminders about fixed cameras, the user-reported locations of mobile speed cameras, real-time traffic, accurate routing suggestions, and alerts when my speed creeps up above a certain threshold have reinforced my belief that the commute simply isn't a race that you can win. You can only beat the clock through good routing and planning (with the help of apps like this), but once you're rolling, going with the flow is the most efficient way and is a lot less stressful.

TLDR: Waze has made me a more strategic and relaxed commuter. Google adopting some of the similar features is a good thing.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

My thinking was that the demographic of people that use Waze are pretty good at driving. Google Maps is for the masses though. I think you will end up with somebody fiddling on their phone and then have an alert that there is a traffic cam ahead and react poorly. I guess I don’t really know for sure. That’s just my assumption though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My thinking was that the demographic of people that use Waze are pretty good at driving. Google Maps is for the masses though. I think you will end up with somebody fiddling on their phone and then have an alert that there is a traffic cam ahead and react poorly. I guess I don’t really know for sure. That’s just my assumption though.
I think the key is to not be using your phone and be doing this via CarPlay or Android Auto.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed the audable alerts on Google when using Android Auto a few weeks back, first time I recall this happening. I think it still needs some fine tuning as it was alerting (I hope!! ) to cameras on overpasses and crossing roads when I was driving on Anthony Henday. I don't think there are fixed cameras on the ring roads (stand to be corrected). If so then the algorithm needs fine tuning as it may not recognize you are not on the road it is alerting to.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #14
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I have been getting these notifications from google for several weeks already, this must just be the official roll out?
Those were for the fixed red light cams. This is for the cop sitting in a truck, supposedly, but my guess is it will work better for the cameras that are stationary for a week or two.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish Google would just collapse the two apps into one product and let me select which options to enable/disable. For example, I love Waze, but no lane details and no showing me the time difference between different route options is a deal-breaker. The crowd-sourced traffic information on Waze is incredible, however, and I really miss it when using Maps.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #16
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If this reminds me of the one intersection where I forget there's a camera AND forget that there's a speed reduction just for the intersection then that'll make me happy.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
A better response would be to drive the speed limit.
Hey everyone, it's that person nobody likes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Hey everyone, it's that person nobody likes.
I'll bet your are fun at parties.

If you are speeding through the city, you probably shouldn't be driving.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going 120 in an 80, yeah, screw you and I hope you do get ticketed.

But let's not pretend that these are the people that photo radar is targetting. It's 'strategically' placed at places like the bottom of hills where people innocently and harmlessly drift over. Or short speed transition zones where the only way to get down to hit the brakes hard. Or people that are safely going with the flow on Stoney rather than letting themselves becoming obstacles.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #20
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

btimbit, you hit the nail on the head. Photo radar is being strategically placed where the most revenue can be extracted, not necessarily where they stand to increase safety of the roadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'll bet your are fun at parties.
Given the context, this is f--king hilarious.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote