Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #161
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rugby View Post
Tribute the team and pay homage since the game is in Sask
It will be about a year and a half after it happened. It's time to move on.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #162
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, at this point, that seems more like callous capitalization more than tribute.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #163
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess for a one time off jersey is a white based on the 1950s Stampeders, as per below. Maybe a cream/offwhite, then with the red striping. Like the first Heritage classic, it will have a Flames crest instead of the Stampeders logo.

Or keep the Stampeders logo just to mess with the Melon heads. Troy Westwood can be the Jets honorary captain.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goodyear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #164
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
Or keep the Stampeders logo just to mess with the Melon heads. Troy Westwood can be the Jets honorary captain.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Lol, that would be funny, but I'm going to guess part of the appeal to be in this game for the Flames is the opportunity to grow their fan base in Sask..............they'll likely stay away from trying to turn off Rider nation with Stampeder jersey's ;p
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #165
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a weird feeling that this could be a general market test for Southern Saskatchewan in terms of television market. I can't imagine that the Jets are content with their exclusive television market being just Manitoba. Yes, they do share Northwest Ontario with the Leafs and Saskatchewan, NWT, & Nunavut with the Oilers & Flames but having such a small exclusive market doesn't allow for much protected fan building. It would be easier to grow the Jets fanbase with fewer NHL alternatives in the same market, I think.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #166
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Why not just have it in Winnipeg?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #167
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Why not just have it in Winnipeg?
So they can have it in Saskatchewan where they don’t get to experience NHL games.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #168
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
So they can have it in Saskatchewan where they don’t get to experience NHL games.
Or for them to go to a hockey game and holler Riders Rock!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #169
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I have a weird feeling that this could be a general market test for Southern Saskatchewan in terms of television market. I can't imagine that the Jets are content with their exclusive television market being just Manitoba. Yes, they do share Northwest Ontario with the Leafs and Saskatchewan, NWT, & Nunavut with the Oilers & Flames but having such a small exclusive market doesn't allow for much protected fan building. It would be easier to grow the Jets fanbase with fewer NHL alternatives in the same market, I think.
Winnipeg had some odd TV deal way back when in the 80s. Something to do with the production company that didn’t play nice with CBC. Just like the Flames when they still had a TV deal with Mostar, and the Oilers were on TV twice as much as the Flames a few years back in the 2000s.

They were almost never on HNIC and even more rarely at home.
Now they’re with TSN, whereas every other Canadian team west of there is in Sportsnet. Now, Jets may want Sask and it’s viewers to convert to TSN regionally, but not sure if Bell really cares about dominating that market.

I don’t see this as a fan development thing by either team trying to convert. Allegiance to the Oilers or Flames for the better part of last 20 years after the Jets left has a whole generation having had to choose between one or the other... never mind front running Sask fans who had already picked the Flames or Oilers in the 80s while Winnipeg was fodder for the most part...and any benefit of the doubt to choose a Winnipeg team for Sask fans is gone, is as much a hated rival in football.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #170
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

We will never ever have an NHL team in Sask but it's a really cool opportunity to see an NHL game close to home. Outdoor game is the only way to really do it.

P.S. it's been so long so I've posted, none of the Flames in my sig have played for us for several years!!

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #171
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saskatchewan is an overlapping market so they get Sportsnet West and all the Flames and Oilers games that come with it and also get TSN3 and all the Jets games on that station.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #172
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Have both teams wear their former Atlanta team's jerseys
The Atlanta Flames vs the Atlanta Thrashers..... Now that would be a Heritage Classic worth watching....lol
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StAlbertFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #173
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess for a one time off jersey is a white based on the 1950s Stampeders, as per below. Maybe a cream/offwhite, then with the red striping. Like the first Heritage classic, it will have a Flames crest instead of the Stampeders logo.

Something based on this uniform would be interesting. Keep the horse (a horse has also been a Flames logo) and swap in "Flames" word mark instead of " Stampeders."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #174
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames just might be able to get away with a stampeders hockey team shoulder patch... something odd to me about mixing the stamps and flames together on a Jersey though
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #175
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Flames just might be able to get away with a stampeders hockey team shoulder patch... something odd to me about mixing the stamps and flames together on a Jersey though
Owned by the same corporate entity? An original Flames owner was once a Stampeders player. There are synergies. Especially considering this showcase event is in a CFL venue.

The Heritage Classic didn't do the legacy of the Calgary Tigers quite right I thought, but the hockey Stampeders have a storied local history.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #176
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's super cool that the NHL is having a game in a non-NHL city. They should do more of that.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #177
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I think it's super cool that the NHL is having a game in a non-NHL city. They should do more of that.
Would be cool if Edmonton could finally get an NHL game one of these days.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #178
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Regular Season Neutral Site games have been tried before. I recall the Flames playing a game in Saskatoon.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #179
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
We will never ever have an NHL team in Sask but it's a really cool opportunity to see an NHL game close to home. Outdoor game is the only way to really do it.

P.S. it's been so long so I've posted, none of the Flames in my sig have played for us for several years!!

Your signature gave me some minor PTSD, I never want to be reminded of Bouw in a Flames jersey
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #180
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Regular Season Neutral Site games have been tried before. I recall the Flames playing a game in Saskatoon.
The games in Europe too. And this year’s Winter Classic. Next year’s game in Colorado Springs although I guess not really neutral site.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote