Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #641
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
This was ~730am

I suppose maybe that's why I like Jim Rome. He's not all sports all the time. You just have to get used to his schtick and the inside jokes, and once you 'get to know him', you learn to like the show.

Considering that, I suppose I can chill out on how badly I think 960's local guys suck, considering all the JR hate in this thread. Different strokes, I guess.

But seriously, every time I give it another go, they're talking about something ridiculous like pumpkin pie, or socks, or apples, or......
Ha. That's what I like about the morning show. Its basically a couple of guys hanging out shooting the ####. I hear non-stop content about the game the night before during the morning show as well, so some time here and there talking about pumpkin pie or whatever they end up at is perfectly ok for me. Its 6 in the morning, I don't need the indepth statistical analysis of the variance on the flames 3rd line when frolik plays on it.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #642
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Ha. That's what I like about the morning show. Its basically a couple of guys hanging out shooting the ####. I hear non-stop content about the game the night before during the morning show as well, so some time here and there talking about pumpkin pie or whatever they end up at is perfectly ok for me. Its 6 in the morning, I don't need the indepth statistical analysis of the variance on the flames 3rd line when frolik plays on it.
Maybe I just have bad timing, but every time I listen, it's either socks in the morning, or Loubardious at noon with his 42 caveats and qualifiers before offering a semi-kinda-half-assed opinion, or else the afternoon guys defending Mike Smith.

Whatever. At least it's on, I guess. Can only listen to QR for so long before they piss me off as well.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #643
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Maybe I just have bad timing, but every time I listen, it's either socks in the morning, or Loubardious at noon with his 42 caveats and qualifiers before offering a semi-kinda-half-assed opinion, or else the afternoon guys defending Mike Smith.

Whatever. At least it's on, I guess. Can only listen to QR for so long before they piss me off as well.

Loubardias has been cracking me up lately. Besides having to mention how long he's been covering the game of hockey in almost every hit (which Wills is also doing a lot these days), he's added a new dimension to how he answers questions.

Old Loubardias... Answers questions by asking himself questions.

- Pat: "Lou, what do you think of the Flames PP which is hovering around 50%?"
- Lou: "Has it been good? on some occasions. Has it been bad? Sometimes. Can it be better? Of course. Will it be? We'll have to wait and see."

New Loubardias... adds the element of answering questions by asking vague questions to the host.
- Lou: "Pat, what's the third thing I mentioned on Tuesday when we talked about goaltending"
- Pat: "um... I'm... not... really... sure"
- Lou: "It's one of the things I think any hockey player needs to be successful."
- Pat: "um..."
- Lou: "I'm referring to the c-word
- Pat: "confidence???"

The dialogue over the last few months between Wills, Lou, Pat and Pinder has become so awkward at times thanks to that 800 lb Mike Smith gorilla. It's been amateur hour on many occasions and a train wreck at other times (ie. professionals getting emotional discussing players).
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #644
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t like to be too hard on the radio guys, it’s a thankless gig, but that post is hilarious. It reads like a transcript of the last time I listened to pre game coverage.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #645
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's Lou to a tee.
I admit I'm a huge fan of his. I love his passion and unique style of delivering his content.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #646
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not sure hilarious is the right word. Accurate? That's a lot closer. It's painful to listen to. I heard his little gig when "he got to ask the questions" the other day. Jesus Christ. Can you say it another 10 times Lou? Damn.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #647
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tuned in today and have no idea what I was listening to. Some meandering banter about pumpkin pie and carrot cake. This kind of conversation is probably only entertaining to the two people directly involved in the conversation. For the listeners, it’s just odd. Why don’t they prepare something, because that sounds like they are just winging it on the air. If so, great that they can fill the time with something, but it would be far more compelling if they had something more... polished. Maybe the station should give them a couple of days to work on some material
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #648
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, did the way they were going to stick it to CalgaryPuck referred to in the title ever get revealed?

I haven't really kept up with this thread.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #649
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I tuned in today and have no idea what I was listening to. Some meandering banter about pumpkin pie and carrot cake. This kind of conversation is probably only entertaining to the two people directly involved in the conversation. For the listeners, it’s just odd. Why don’t they prepare something, because that sounds like they are just winging it on the air. If so, great that they can fill the time with something, but it would be far more compelling if they had something more... polished. Maybe the station should give them a couple of days to work on some material
Scroll up. I already bitched about it, and someone said they found it entertaining.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #650
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah that's Lou to a tee.
I admit I'm a huge fan of his. I love his passion and unique style of delivering his content.

Confidence... and good people.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #651
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would like to know who first introduced the mouth noise “schnide” to the on air personalities, so I can send them to Jasper for a paddlin’.

Anyone who does something remotely less than their average is “on the schnide”.

SCHNIDE

SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #652
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
I would like to know who first introduced the mouth noise “schnide” to the on air personalities, so I can send them to Jasper for a paddlin’.

SCHNIDE

A: it's schneid.

B: it's a longstanding Yiddish term, adopted into baseball from gin rummy:

get off the schneid
To break a scoreless, hitless, or winless streak (i.e., a schneid). According to the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, the term "schneid" comes to baseball via gin rummy, and in turn comes from German / Yiddish "schneider", one who cuts cloth, i.e., a tailor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_baseball_(G)

C. as far as general use in sports go you can probably blame Chris Berman.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #653
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Loubardias has been cracking me up lately. Besides having to mention how long he's been covering the game of hockey in almost every hit (which Wills is also doing a lot these days), he's added a new dimension to how he answers questions.

- Lou: "Has it been good? on some occasions. Has it been bad? Sometimes. Can it be better? Of course. Will it be? We'll have to wait and see."

New Loubardias... adds the element of answering questions by asking vague questions to the host.
- Lou: "Pat, what's the third thing I mentioned on Tuesday when we talked about goaltending"
- Lou: "It's one of the things I think any hockey player needs to be successful."

The dialogue over the last few months between Wills, Lou, Pat and Pinder has become so awkward at times thanks to that 800 lb Mike Smith gorilla. It's been amateur hour on many occasions and a train wreck at other times (ie. professionals getting emotional discussing players).

That Q & A comparison is so spot on and so funny. I can totally hear his voice.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #654
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What day is this from?... it doesn’t even matter. Its the same day after day.

It’s Pete talking to re-Pete.

Artificial intelligence analysts would be as deep.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #655
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post

SCHNIDE

You better believe that’s a paddlin...
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #656
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

petorical loubardious

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #657
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loubardias is an absolute gem. I don't care if he's cryptic and loses track of how many words are in a phrase.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #658
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so Treliving was on Jim Rome show yesterday. Ha ha. Guaranteed that was a response by Rome after 960 dumped him. I recall him mentioning it when they cut his third hour and often calls out affiliates that drop him or delay broadcast.

I have always enjoyed Rome, but if there is one thing certain- sports fans will complain and moan about sports shows, commentators, and personalities. Would be difficult for the team at 960 to decide what to air.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 03-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #659
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jim Rome was the only reason I ever listened to the Fan960, and now it is absent the reason why I don't listen anymore at all. There is nobody and nothing on the Fan960 that is even remotely close to the quality of interview, entertainment, and production value as Rome.

Calgarypuck is collectively much more thorough, engaging, and entertaining than the Fan960 is or could ever hope to be.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #660
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I’ve tried listening to Rome for years now and I just don’t like his personality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote