Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #2121
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think there are a couple things in play
- Willis' weird interpretation of the goaltending situation is just part of a pattern. I find his read of the game to be really odd. The conclusions he draws often don't pass the eye test or matched by data. So this isn't an isolated example
- Generally it is believed that conflict creates good radio. So he may be trying to hold a contrary view. Some broadcasters do this very well. Others do it less well. But I think he's trying to have a strong opinion to make for good radio.
It's a bit baffling. Listening to his call of the one goal the Rangers scored Friday, you'd think it was a leaky Smith special.

Then I get into my hotel room and watch the highlight, and Pionk has 30 feet to walk in unobstructed and blasts it far post. Not exactly a gimme.

Conflict is good when it arises naturally from competing viewpoints. It's not good when one side appears to have a poor understanding of the issue, and it's especially problematic if the guy with the baffling takes has had the best seat in the house for four years.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #2122
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It's a bit baffling. Listening to his call of the one goal the Rangers scored Friday, you'd think it was a leaky Smith special.

Then I get into my hotel room and watch the highlight, and Pionk has 30 feet to walk in unobstructed and blasts it far post. Not exactly a gimme.

Conflict is good when it arises naturally from competing viewpoints. It's not good when one side appears to have a poor understanding of the issue, and it's especially problematic if the guy with the baffling takes has had the best seat in the house for four years.
Yeah, it was actually a really nice shot. I had to look up who this Pionk guy was after seeing that.

It's at about 1:00 in the highlights video. I can watch that shot all day long. I don't like that it was against the Flames, but hard not to see that as a decent goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48X...feature=onebox

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #2123
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
- Willis' weird interpretation of the goaltending situation is just part of a pattern. I find his read of the game to be really odd. The conclusions he draws often don't pass the eye test or matched by data. So this isn't an isolated example
- Generally it is believed that conflict creates good radio. So he may be trying to hold a contrary view. Some broadcasters do this very well. Others do it less well. But I think he's trying to have a strong opinion to make for good radio.
I agree whole heartedly with the 1st point, but the longer this situation has dragged on I think the 2nd is just how he honestly feels, unless he's a great actor.

Maybe it began as a bit, but he really brings it up all the time unprompted. Just based on his character I don't think he does it to disparage rittich(I dont think he would speak ill of anyone in the flames organization in general) more so than to...ahem, lower the bar to make smith not seem so bad in comparison

It is pretty ironic to have him blast what hes insinuating as fake flames fans who just want to see mike smith fail so they can be right while pushing this narrative that smith who has had a very poor body of work over the last calendar year + is the preferred option in net, and that rittich has struggled enough that there is a debate as to who the starter should be
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #2124
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wills is no good. It's obvious he is either a fan or has a better relationship with Smith than Rittich because if it came down to watching the games and judging the goal tending based off on ice performance he wouldn't be such a homer for Smith.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #2125
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Wills is no good. It's obvious he is either a fan or has a better relationship with Smith than Rittich because if it came down to watching the games and judging the goal tending based off on ice performance he wouldn't be such a homer for Smith.
I think one of the reasons why Rick Ball is so good at his job is precisely because he is NOT an invested fan. At least, not a Flames fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #2126
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm not sure I have ever, in my 30+ years of watching hockey, been witness to something like the bizarre love affair that some Calgary media members have with a veteran goalie with a marginally above average career behind him who won't even be here next year.

I don't hate Smith, don't love the guy either. But if you look at this from the outside, what has he possibly done to earn this sort of admiration?

Loubardias basically chastised an entire fan base for not seeing things his way last week. Had he been more direct in his speech he would have called all of the listening audience morons.

Wills is doing a similar act.

Its genuinely puzzling.
It's not that simple though.

Smith had a rough start, and hasn't had a great season. But the emotional reaction against the guy has certainly been over the top from a certain percentage of the fan base.

I think a media member that deals with the team finds themselves pushing back on that extreme because it's been over the top.

We've seen it today on the site. Smith starts and a poster says something like he shouldn't start another game this season; this despite the guy being just short of 20 wins, and better numbers in the second half of the season.

To the rational fan they seem like homers, but I think they're work is against the extreme fan that they feel they need balance out.

All guessing on my part.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #2127
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think one of the reasons why Rick Ball is so good at his job is precisely because he is NOT an invested fan. At least, not a Flames fan.
That's what made Mahr great too even though he was a fan he never called a game like the Flames were the only team.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #2128
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's not that simple though.

Smith had a rough start, and hasn't had a great season. But the emotional reaction against the guy has certainly been over the top from a certain percentage of the fan base.

I think a media member that deals with the team finds themselves pushing back on that extreme because it's been over the top.

We've seen it today on the site. Smith starts and a poster says something like he shouldn't start another game this season; this despite the guy being just short of 20 wins, and better numbers in the second half of the season.

To the rational fan they seem like homers, but I think they're work is against the extreme fan that they feel they need balance out.

All guessing on my part.
My take is different.

There's always going to be extreme opinions, but for the most part, fans have been pretty balanced.

Most aren't saying Smith should never play a game again, and most aren't saying that Wills is a homer.

What is being said, on the most part, is that fans are more comfortable with Rittich starting more often than not.

Just my opinion, but Wills needs to have thicker skin. Because there are people who disagree with his support of Smith, he really, REALLY needs to tell them they're wrong.

He'll say things like "everyone has the right to their opinion" and "nobody is right or wrong" but mere seconds later, he'll try to use an appeal to authority by going extreme and saying that fans are saying that Smith is horrible at handling the puck (not true on the large part), which is not what he's heard from "hockey people", therefore implying that he is right.

It is what it is and I don't expect Wills to change. This is who he is - some folks can't accept that their opinion is different from others.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #2129
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A cynic would say they are warming up the crowd in anticipation of what they believe will be a Smith start in game 1.

Or it's an ongoing vendetta against Pinder.

Either way I agree with you. The comments seem to come out of nowhere. Wills in particular just seems to bring it up himself.
Over the last few weeks, along with the old "unlike many, some of us just wanted both guys to succeed" schtick, he always seems to mention how enjoyable the goal tending conversation is with a certain someone (Pinder) on vacation.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #2130
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wills is paid by the team, it's that simple. His take on Smith is wrong. Smith cost the team points and confidence early on. Has Smith improved? Yes. Has he had a good year? No. Is he a huge boon to the club? No. Is his save percentage acceptable, taken over the year? No.

But all that said, this is our goaltending tandem, so he's trying to make the best of it. That's cool.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #2131
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's a lot simpler than that.

Wills, like much of the NHL community is just irrationally biased towards the older, more experienced player and elects to turn a blind eye to actual performance. Like how Gulutzan loved his Matt Stajan-Troy Brouwer unit on PK1 last year because "experience" when common sense would show a bunch of random AHLers could have killed penalties better.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #2132
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Over the last few weeks, along with the old "unlike many, some of us just wanted both guys to succeed" schtick, he always seems to mention how enjoyable the goal tending conversation is with a certain someone (Pinder) on vacation.
Everyone takes digs at Pinder when he's not there, though it does seem more pronounced between Derek/Lou and Ryan than the other guys.

Not since the days of Bryn Griffiths have I sensed such an undercurrent of tension between the hosts.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #2133
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

One thing you can’t argue with is the record Rittich has put up. 26-7-5 is a .750 points percentage. That is bordering on pretty darn special, if you look at the past decade.

Not too many goalies have done better in single seasons since the early 80s, when Fuhr and Billy Smith were playing for dynasty teams, and Roy went 33-5-4 the year the Flames won the cup.

Here are a few I can think of that are better, or at least in the neighbourhood, all from more recent years. A few were Washington goalies when they were killing it, and a handful of others. Not an exhaustive list, for sure

Nabokov 08-09: 41-12-7 .742
Theodore 09-10: 30-7-1 .802
Holtby 15-16: 48-9-3 .825
Holtby 16-17: 42-13-9 .727
Hellebuyck 17-18: 44-11-6 .770
Rinne 17-18: 42-13-4 .746
Vasilevski 18-19: 35-8-6 .776

Interestingly these guys were mainly given the lion’s share of their teams’ games.

Not too shabby company to be in.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #2134
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I think there is some reasonable basis to look at Smith as your playoff starter. I know many don’t agree and that’s understandable.

To me it’s weird how Wills seems to talk about it all times even when it’s not overly relevant.

As Jiri has said maybe he just has an odd take or trying to create conflict. In either case, he could pick his spots a little better. It is like a campaign for him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #2135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Without knowing these guys at all, I get the sense Wills needs a little thicker skin.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #2136
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Might the Flames target Jacob Markstrom to run with Rittich next year?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #2137
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

How would they pull that off and why would Vancouver do it?
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #2138
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That would be awesome. But all the local Vancouver talking heads ate saying he will be locked up long term by the nucks as soon as the season ends
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #2139
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
How would they pull that off and why would Vancouver do it?
Thatcher Demko is their guy going forward. He's 23, he's been seasoned in the AHL for ages, and I think they're looking at next year as his big coming out party.

Markstrom's deal expires after 2019-20. He's turning 30 next season and I don't think they'll be looking to bring him back as a UFA. I think the Flames might do well to reach out.

Edit -- moneyhands, if that is indeed the case, well, interesting. But with Demko as the presumed heir apparent, I really wonder what Benning's plan is. I would think they'd try to avoid a Schneider/Luongo situation.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #2140
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Thatcher Demko is their guy going forward. He's 23, he's been seasoned in the AHL for ages, and I think they're looking at next year as his big coming out party.

Markstrom's deal expires after 2019-20. He's turning 30 next season and I don't think they'll be looking to bring him back as a UFA. I think the Flames might do well to reach out.

Edit -- moneyhands, if that is indeed the case, well, interesting. But with Demko as the presumed heir apparent, I really wonder what Benning's plan is. I would think they'd try to avoid a Schneider/Luongo situation.

Demko has played 6 games...I wouldn't be giving him the net yet. They might look at it at the end of next year if he proves himself next year and plays well in a tandem with Markstrom, but to trade your vet with a year left on his contract to run with a raw rookie is lunacy
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post: