Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #2101
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Rittich has less than 2 years NHL under his belt. I'd say he has as much of a shot at being a homegrown quality goalie as, say Thomas (like you mentioned) or Crawford, who didn't get into the league as a starter until 25.
Completely agree - I think this team will go as far as Rittich, Parsons, Gillies, or another young/homegrown guy will carry us. I just think we should temper our expectations of acquiring an established goalie who will lead us to the promise land, because it hasn't happened yet in the cap era (aside from Osgood)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #2102
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we can get koskinen on the cheap! Lol
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #2103
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd definitely rather bow out of the playoffs with Rittich in net instead of Smith.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #2104
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If the Flames trade ALL of Stone, Frolik, and Brodie, then I'd hope they also go for a big-name forward this summer too. Not necessarily a UFA, but someone of real value for sure.
Not to mention drafting some defencemen and signing a couple of inexpensive FA's, especially RD. They need someone to play behind Andersson & Hamonic, and that's assuming Andersson is ready for top-4 minutes. They'd need depth on the farm as well.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #2105
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scariest part of the whole situation is the coaching staff have, on a number of occasions, decided to play Smith even when Rittich was starting and playing great. I could see them giving him Game 1 and 2 in the playoffs to see how he does.

Biggggg mistake.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #2106
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
The scariest part of the whole situation is the coaching staff have, on a number of occasions, decided to play Smith even when Rittich was starting and playing great. I could see them giving him Game 1 and 2 in the playoffs to see how he does.

Biggggg mistake.
But they always went back to Rittich the next game. The only way I see Smith starting the playoffs is if he's playing well and Rittich isn't.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #2107
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Biggggg mistake.
I think the coaches are doing a fantastic job of making Rittich earn every start and keeping him focused. He's had a great year, but he hasn't proven anything and he's had inconsistent stretches.

They've been able to win games with both, but I don't think anyone on that staff believes Smith is the playoff starter over Rittich. I like our chances a lot better with Rittich going into the playoffs having played 45-48 games as opposed to 60+. That adds up over a long playoff drive.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #2108
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Biggggg mistake.
I do not find this accurate at all. Since Smith whiffed on the early season beach all as starter, I believe the Flames have followed a plan to manage the goaltenders to get both playing well, and keep them fresh and neither overused in preparation for the playoffs. I don't think there is really anything to indicate otherwise, considering what we know from the outside.
To say we won't seem Smith in the postseason would be a stretch though, but barring injury I expect the Flames would be in some kind of trouble already before we saw him.
Of course I am proved 100% wrong if Smith starts game 1, which definitely should not happen even if against his former team.

Edit - should have just let GreenLantern handle this!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #2109
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I do not find this accurate at all. Since Smith whiffed on the early season beach all as starter, I believe the Flames have followed a plan to manage the goaltenders to get both playing well, and keep them fresh and neither overused in preparation for the playoffs. I don't think there is really anything to indicate otherwise, considering what we know from the outside.
Number of starts since November 15th when Smith blew it against Montreal and Peters gave Rittich a legit chance to take over the starting position. I think Peters has handled it pretty well.

* More than 2 consecutive starts bolded

Rittich - 4 (3-1)
Smith - 1 (1-0)
Rittich - 1 (0-1)
Smith - 2 (2-0)
Rittich - 1 (Columbus game where he was pulled after 1)
Smith - 2 (2-0)
Rittich - 1 (1-0)
Smith - 1 (Philly game where he was pulled/hurt after 2)
Rittich - 4 (2-2)
Smith - 1 (0-1)
Rittich - 3 (2-1)
Smith - 2 (1-1) - Rittich was hurt
Rittich - 4 (4-0)
Smith - 1 (1-0)
Rittich - 3 (2-1)
Smith - 1 (0-1)
Rittich 4 - (1-2) - Was pulled early against San Jose in game 2 but didn't get credited with the loss
Smith - 5 - (4-1)
Rittich - 1 - (1-0)
Smith - 1 - (1-0)
Rittich - 1 - (1-0)
Smith - 1 - (0-1)
Rittich - 2 - (0-2)
Smith - 1 - (0-1)
Rittich - 3 - (3-0)
Smith - 1 - (0-1)
Rittich - 1 - (1-0)
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #2110
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sure seems like Smith's played a lot less games since that 2/26 Islanders game where he looked like he pulled a groin or something. He was playing the best hockey of his season up until that point, looked like he solidified his spot as starter and was great in that game.

It makes me wonder if he was a little injured in that game, and they are only using him when they have to. I know he was also sick for a bit in there (if that's not code for being hurt I guess)
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #2111
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wills is on another one of his strange veiled diatribes on the Fan against fans who aren't supportive of Smith being played over Rittich. It's funny to listen to.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #2112
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm not sure I have ever, in my 30+ years of watching hockey, been witness to something like the bizarre love affair that some Calgary media members have with a veteran goalie with a marginally above average career behind him who won't even be here next year.

I don't hate Smith, don't love the guy either. But if you look at this from the outside, what has he possibly done to earn this sort of admiration?

Loubardias basically chastised an entire fan base for not seeing things his way last week. Had he been more direct in his speech he would have called all of the listening audience morons.

Wills is doing a similar act.

Its genuinely puzzling.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #2113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Maybe we can get koskinen on the cheap! Lol
There's nothing cheap about Koskinen's contract.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #2114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wills is on another one of his strange veiled diatribes on the Fan against fans who aren't supportive of Smith being played over Rittich. It's funny to listen to.
Actually it's no longer funny to listen to. Wills really needs to stop talking about Smith.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #2115
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If the unproven guy falters, they need the grizzled vet to be ready/confident enough to stop the bleeding until Rittich gets his head right.

The Calgary Flames will not win the Stanley cup with Mike Smith starting 20+.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #2116
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brent Krahn on The Pat Steinberg Show says that Rittich should be the starter in the playoffs.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pat-ste...s-goaltending/
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #2117
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Actually it's no longer funny to listen to. Wills really needs to stop talking about Smith.
A cynic would say they are warming up the crowd in anticipation of what they believe will be a Smith start in game 1.

Or it's an ongoing vendetta against Pinder.

Either way I agree with you. The comments seem to come out of nowhere. Wills in particular just seems to bring it up himself.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #2118
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Brent Krahn on The Pat Steinberg Show says that Rittich should be the starter in the playoffs.

That is quite telling since Krahn has been very reserved all year in his appraisal of Rittich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #2119
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post

As of now, it's an obvious choice. He might get a relatively short leash though.

Last edited by The Cobra; 03-21-2019 at 11:48 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #2120
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A cynic would say they are warming up the crowd in anticipation of what they believe will be a Smith start in game 1.

Or it's an ongoing vendetta against Pinder.

Either way I agree with you. The comments seem to come out of nowhere. Wills in particular just seems to bring it up himself.
I think there are a couple things in play
- Willis' weird interpretation of the goaltending situation is just part of a pattern. I find his read of the game to be really odd. The conclusions he draws often don't pass the eye test or matched by data. So this isn't an isolated example
- Generally it is believed that conflict creates good radio. So he may be trying to hold a contrary view. Some broadcasters do this very well. Others do it less well. But I think he's trying to have a strong opinion to make for good radio.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: