Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #561
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

From r/CalgaryFlames reddit:

"Smile if you have more points than Ovi and Tavares"

flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #562
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

... and Eichel and Stamkos and Malkin and Panarin...

and even Pettersson!!!

Edit: and his line-mates are Backlund and Bennett/Frolik/Neal/Czarnik
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #563
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that would be a terrible injury if he did in deed tore his labrum. That could cause issues for years with his hips. Never like to see anyone injured, and I honestly doubt Chuckie had much to do with something like that.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #564
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Playing the glass is half empty and looking into the future, I think consideration has to be had that:

- At some age, this type of player slows at a faster rate than most. He is still young and thrilled to be in the NHL but in 7 years after taking multiple punches in the face, being the NHL agitator and having tens of millions of dollars, is he the same player or does he soften up like a James Neal (not to the same extent but it happens)

- The flames most likely want to put % total points vs the team as a stat as most of the players stats are going to be inflated in a season where they are putting up near record goals. I am not sure where that is for Tkachuk but I am sure it helps the flames more so than looking at total points. Credit where it is due though to be the 1 odd man out not playing together with the other 3 and get on that top 4 list!

- Is there concern about the suspensions? Tom Wilson just got paid long term. He is 1 or 2 stupid moved from costing the caps substantial cap space and being banned for a season. Tkachuk, has a microscope on him. Between a poke in the back of a leg being enough to suspend on and having Kassian hunt him down the way he did with no punishment tells me the league has different rules for different players.

- Simply from an asset management standpoint, you don't want to hang onto this player for too long. I personally would always trade players just before what I saw as an expected decline. With the NHL average age continuing to decline, I am trading a guy like Johny in 2021/22 if he does not take a contract extension prior to the deadline and even at that, I only want a 3 year extension which the player most likely doesn't want. It would be awful to lose elite talent for nothing and I don't understand why it happens so often in the league. Looking at Chicago, they could fast track the rebuild by trading Toews and Kane. I doubt those 2 are around for their next big playoff push so why not make something of it.

These are all what ifs and if thats how people made their sole decision, Johny would have never been drafted because what if he couldnt take a hit but I do see them all as reasons why Tkachuk might be a better shorter term (5-6 years) signing than trying to max it out at 8, even if it costs a bit more.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #565
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is going to get paid.

Would be nice for Tre to lock him up soon. The price keeps going up.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #566
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You think he's gonna get paid now... wait till the playoffs.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #567
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This will be 8.5 aav. Guessing 6 years.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #568
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Half of me is scared of his next contract but half of me is also excited to see what it is.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #569
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
This will be 8.5 aav. Guessing 6 years.
Yikes! Really?

I cant see it be higher than Johnny yet. I think he will sign a bridge.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #570
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

they issue is that the cap has continually risen and Draistl's contract basically blows up the structure for everyone after him.

Calgary lucked out big time by signing monny and johnny the year before Draistl...

we'll have no such luck with Tkachuk... I'm thinking 7.5-8 million on a 6 year deal, it could be lower if its on a bridge, but would Calgary want to do that? If you bridge Tkachuk to end at the same time as johnny/monny, then maybe you can pitch the idea of signing all three to 'lifetime' deals

but the "Gio cap" is gone...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #571
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Playing the glass is half empty and looking into the future, I think consideration has to be had that:

- At some age, this type of player slows at a faster rate than most. He is still young and thrilled to be in the NHL but in 7 years after taking multiple punches in the face, being the NHL agitator and having tens of millions of dollars, is he the same player or does he soften up like a James Neal (not to the same extent but it happens)

- The flames most likely want to put % total points vs the team as a stat as most of the players stats are going to be inflated in a season where they are putting up near record goals. I am not sure where that is for Tkachuk but I am sure it helps the flames more so than looking at total points. Credit where it is due though to be the 1 odd man out not playing together with the other 3 and get on that top 4 list!

- Is there concern about the suspensions? Tom Wilson just got paid long term. He is 1 or 2 stupid moved from costing the caps substantial cap space and being banned for a season. Tkachuk, has a microscope on him. Between a poke in the back of a leg being enough to suspend on and having Kassian hunt him down the way he did with no punishment tells me the league has different rules for different players.

- Simply from an asset management standpoint, you don't want to hang onto this player for too long. I personally would always trade players just before what I saw as an expected decline. With the NHL average age continuing to decline, I am trading a guy like Johny in 2021/22 if he does not take a contract extension prior to the deadline and even at that, I only want a 3 year extension which the player most likely doesn't want. It would be awful to lose elite talent for nothing and I don't understand why it happens so often in the league. Looking at Chicago, they could fast track the rebuild by trading Toews and Kane. I doubt those 2 are around for their next big playoff push so why not make something of it.

These are all what ifs and if thats how people made their sole decision, Johny would have never been drafted because what if he couldnt take a hit but I do see them all as reasons why Tkachuk might be a better shorter term (5-6 years) signing than trying to max it out at 8, even if it costs a bit more.
pretty sure that’s every GM’s plan with every player save for maybe a long-time franchise player (Crosby, Ovi etc...)
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #572
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
that would be a terrible injury if he did in deed tore his labrum. That could cause issues for years with his hips. Never like to see anyone injured, and I honestly doubt Chuckie had much to do with something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
they issue is that the cap has continually risen and Draistl's contract basically blows up the structure for everyone after him.

Calgary lucked out big time by signing monny and johnny the year before Draistl...

we'll have no such luck with Tkachuk... I'm thinking 7.5-8 million on a 6 year deal, it could be lower if its on a bridge, but would Calgary want to do that? If you bridge Tkachuk to end at the same time as johnny/monny, then maybe you can pitch the idea of signing all three to 'lifetime' deals

but the "Gio cap" is gone...
If they dont win the cup in the next 4-5 years then I can’t see it happening this generation. They have an amazing collection of super stars, up and comers and solid depth guys right now. Maybe if they draft incredibly well they will extend the window into johnny and money’s veteran years.

A bridge for Matthew works well because it keeps him during the window. After, I’m sure they will find the cap room if they have to.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #573
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I bet Tkachuk gets $6.75 for the duration of Giordano's current deal, with his salary rising to ~$8.5 after that.

7 years? $7.75 million AAV, on the dot.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #574
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I bet Tkachuk gets $6.75 for the duration of Giordano's current deal, with his salary rising to ~$8.5 after that.

If this deal happens I'll eat a footlong pube sandwich
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #575
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

6.75 till the end of Gio/Gaudreau's contract, 3 years. 2 RFA years at 7.0 each. 9.0 each year for 3 UFA years. Total contract value of 61.25 over 8 years, 7.66 AAV but Treliving finds a way to shave 1.25 million off for a simple 8 year 60 million contract at 7.5 AAV.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #576
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

I was thinking something similar, but added in some extra Treliving wizardry.

8 year deal:
3 @ $6.75M
5 @ $7.75M

= $59M / 8 = $7.375M
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #577
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post

- Simply from an asset management standpoint, you don't want to hang onto this player for too long. I personally would always trade players just before what I saw as an expected decline.
Wait a minute... Is this the same advice you give your real estate clients?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #578
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If this deal happens I'll eat a footlong pube sandwich
That’s a crazy offer for something that isn’t really that far fetched.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #579
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
It's his labrum of the shoulder socket not the hip, the usual suspect tearing one is having your arm tugged while it's straight out from the body, absolutely can happen in a fight and you might not even know it immediately.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #580
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think your pretty close to bang on. 6 mil per for the RFA years and 10 for each UFA year comes out around the same. So +/- a year on term and +/- .5 mil
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote