Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #881
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I pulled the trigger on one of these tonight. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60226

I am blown away at how amazing this thing looks and how smooth everything runs.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #882
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I pulled the trigger on one of these tonight. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60226

I am blown away at how amazing this thing looks and how smooth everything runs.
4 years in and my Predator 27HU is still my favorite peripheral purchase of all time. Good on yah.

Weirdly it doesn't state the panel type on MemEx. What is it? VA? IPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #883
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good purchase! A good monitor really makes a difference. I got a 27in 1440p 144hz Acer XG series last year and love it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #884
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I thought I saw that monitor for less than $700 on the Best Buy boxing day flyer, and I also got the Acer version and I agree it's a great monitor.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #885
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
4 years in and my Predator 27HU is still my favorite peripheral purchase of all time. Good on yah.

I echo this, with my X34.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #886
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Ya it's pretty wild. It honestly felt as if I got a new video card. It's an IPS panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I thought I saw that monitor for less than $700 on the Best Buy boxing day flyer, and I also got the Acer version and I agree it's a great monitor.
That was the TN panel version.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #887
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco of all places had the Acer at $800.

EDIT: $750 now

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1048158.html
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #888
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi all!

I'm looking to upgrade my processor and my motherboard to something a bit more recent (my brother gave me his old desktop).

I'm curious is it worth to upgrade a XPS 8300 motherboard (according to System Information) and a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz processor.

1. Is it worth upgrading?
2. What would be an affordable replacement if its worth upgrading?

Additional info:
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Ram: 16 GB DDR 4, not sure about the speed though.

Thanks!
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #889
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Here's the deal. I have a microsoft surface pro 4, which is basically the only computer I use now. I don't play games on PC anymore. However, when I was a kid, I played The Longest Journey. For its time, it was an absolutely insane narrative experience. Then, following up, I played Dreamfall when it came out back in 2006, which again, at the time, was totally different from anything else in video games, but more importantly, had the worst cliffhanger ending of any game in any series ever made. So eventually they do a kickstarter for Dreamfall:Chapters, and I'm thinking, "okay, I'll play that when it comes out, because I definitely need to see how this all wraps up". Then I forgot about it for a while and never noticed when it came out. Then I went on the steam sale, saw it for $10, and bought it. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Problem: my Microsoft Surface apparently cannot handle it, despite being an i5. I guess whatever graphics solution they used for these cannot stand up to a video game that's about five years old now and wasn't even really top of the food chain when it came out (and it's not even close to being able to - the thing is unplayable, I want to say it's running at 1 fps but that might be being generous).

Now, I don't want to buy a gaming PC or anything of the sort so that I can play a game I bought for ten bucks. But I would like to play it. Anyone have any ideas?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #890
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
OK, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Here's the deal. I have a microsoft surface pro 4, which is basically the only computer I use now. I don't play games on PC anymore. However, when I was a kid, I played The Longest Journey. For its time, it was an absolutely insane narrative experience. Then, following up, I played Dreamfall when it came out back in 2006, which again, at the time, was totally different from anything else in video games, but more importantly, had the worst cliffhanger ending of any game in any series ever made. So eventually they do a kickstarter for Dreamfall:Chapters, and I'm thinking, "okay, I'll play that when it comes out, because I definitely need to see how this all wraps up". Then I forgot about it for a while and never noticed when it came out. Then I went on the steam sale, saw it for $10, and bought it. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Problem: my Microsoft Surface apparently cannot handle it, despite being an i5. I guess whatever graphics solution they used for these cannot stand up to a video game that's about five years old now and wasn't even really top of the food chain when it came out (and it's not even close to being able to - the thing is unplayable, I want to say it's running at 1 fps but that might be being generous).

Now, I don't want to buy a gaming PC or anything of the sort so that I can play a game I bought for ten bucks. But I would like to play it. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried lowering the settings as far as possible in the game, and possibly the resolution? I do think your Surface should meet the bare minimum spec to run it, so you might just need to make adjustments or play on ~720p.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #891
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Steam lists the "minimum" graphics for the game as an Intel HD 4000 unit (in-built on-CPU graphics).

Microsoft says the i5 version of a Surface Pro 4 has an Intel HD 520.

NotebookCheck shows the HD 520 @ #419 on their list of graphics solutions (desktop and mobile).

The HD 4000 is @ #539. So you, in theory, should meet the minimum with everything turned on garbage settings.

Couple things:
  • Make sure battery settings are set to Maximum Power. This makes a huge difference compared to say, Balanced mode.
  • Turn the native resolution down a bit.
  • Make sure the power brick is plugged in.
  • Update drivers if there are any to update.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #892
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think my battery settings were causing an issue. At minimum settings on full power it's playable. Not ideal, but good enough I guess.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #893
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible to get some Windows 95 classics (Dangerous Creatures and Encarta 95&96) to run on a W10 machine?

I tried all the compatibility modes, and nada.

Having some major nostalgia urges.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #894
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is it possible to get some Windows 95 classics (Dangerous Creatures and Encarta 95&96) to run on a W10 machine?

I tried all the compatibility modes, and nada.

Having some major nostalgia urges.
Many of those old programs simply don't work on higher speed CPUs than they were designed for. You could try running a virtual machine on your computer with the CPU set to something more reasonable for them.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #895
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Many of those old programs simply don't work on higher speed CPUs than they were designed for. You could try running a virtual machine on your computer with the CPU set to something more reasonable for them.

That sounds hard
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #896
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This thread has a few options you could try

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/c..._98_era_games/
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #897
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Were they still tying programs to the cpu speed then? I was under the impression programmers stopped doing that a while before (hence no turbo button on machines by the mid 90's).
Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #898
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Were they still tying programs to the cpu speed then? I was under the impression programmers stopped doing that a while before (hence no turbo button on machines by the mid 90's).
There were a couple old games I wanted to try, like SimCopter, that were still seemingly affected. I don't think it's the same function like the Turbo button on some old programs though, but apparently how it allots that speed isn't handled properly.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #899
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Nvidia is going to allow G-Sync on some FreeSync displays.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...esync-displays
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #900
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Nvidia is going to allow G-Sync on some FreeSync displays.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...esync-displays
Actually, it will be "certified" on certain displays, but based on their media release, it will technically usable on others as well, only it may not work great because the FreeSync standard is a bit all over the place.

Quote: