Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #4461
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Of course they can't escape the smell. It's them. They haven't figured out you're supposed to wash your sweatpants occasionally.

And no Edmontonians, nuking it with axe body spray doesn't count.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #4462
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's funny, because who would put the development here?

https://goo.gl/maps/a59hyG6269VmH4fC7

Oh look, we've got industrial all around, probably a great place for a community! Note that everything directly west and south is zoned industrial.
Even the Google Streetview car said oh hell no, I'm not going in there.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #4463
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Even the Google Streetview car said oh hell no, I'm not going in there.
I hadn't zoomed in, but now see it is a tornado magnet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #4464
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is not permitted to fall down to page two.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 02:47 AM   #4465
Scorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
This thread is not permitted to fall down to page two.
Ok, here’s a random story I found a couple of weeks ago

Ales hemsky good.
Rest of the Oilers for letting a rookie pay for the team’s dinner, NO GOOD

https://twitter.com/statuses/1158880032611115010
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #4466
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hemsky is still no good, he probably had a concussion from the tunnel of death that night and the oiler "medical staff" brushed it off as nothing which further proves...

Edmonton is no good.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #4467
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Ok, hereís a random story I found a couple of weeks ago

Ales hemsky good.
Rest of the Oilers for letting a rookie pay for the teamís dinner, NO GOOD

https://twitter.com/statuses/1158880032611115010
Oilers and big restaurant bills...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oil...-bill-1.885593
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #4468
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Hemsky is still no good, he probably had a concussion from the tunnel of death that night and the oiler "medical staff" brushed it off as nothing which further proves...

Edmonton is no good.
Credit where it is due.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #4469
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I as in Vernon and met a few guys at a party. Turns out they were Oiler fans! I know right... so ones from Vancouver originally but he hated the Canucks (understandable) The other guy was from Alberta but moved to Vernon a few years ago. Anyway we had mutual hate for the Nucks, but thatís as far as it goes for having similar thoughts. I ask them about the Neal/Lucic trade for a laugh. Iím expecting them to have no expectation of how it will go. It was a junk for junk trade. Anyway we get on to the 21 goal clause. Both of these guys are laughing, thinking that there is no way that Neal doesnít get 21 or more goals, and that Calgary was just a terrible fit. I left the conversation as these two were obviously drunk, and unaware of how Edmonton is No Good. Blew me away. No wait and see attitude at all.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #4470
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Credit where it is due.
Yeah, thats one of the few classy moves. I liked Hemsky for the most part, I liked seeing Regehr use him to fill in the cracks in the corner boards more mind you, but I never hated Hemsky.

If anything I pitied him. He seemed to always keep trying. He was kind of like one of those Clown Punching Bags with the sand in the bottom.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #4471
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
I as in Vernon and met a few guys at a party. Turns out they were Oiler fans! I know right... so ones from Vancouver originally but he hated the Canucks (understandable) The other guy was from Alberta but moved to Vernon a few years ago. Anyway we had mutual hate for the Nucks, but thatís as far as it goes for having similar thoughts. I ask them about the Neal/Lucic trade for a laugh. Iím expecting them to have no expectation of how it will go. It was a junk for junk trade. Anyway we get on to the 21 goal clause. Both of these guys are laughing, thinking that there is no way that Neal doesnít get 21 or more goals, and that Calgary was just a terrible fit. I left the conversation as these two were obviously drunk, and unaware of how Edmonton is No Good. Blew me away. No wait and see attitude at all.
First of all my condolences for having to speak to them. Second, they acted like every Coiler fan, delusional. They think the can trade Bear or Jones for help up front. They just don't get it.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #4472
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I left the conversation as these two were obviously drunk, and unaware of how Edmonton is No Good. Blew me away. No wait and see attitude at all.
Let's be fair, if Neal can't score 21 goals on McDavid's wing, there really is no hope for him. This is about as good as it's ever going to get for Slowpoke McGee.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #4473
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Let's be fair, if Neal can't score 21 goals on McDavid's wing, there really is no hope for him. This is about as good as it's ever going to get for Slowpoke McGee.
Well it should be interesting to see how long his leash is up there. If Neal is the same player as last year, McOiler will have to use him as a decoy. He should do better up there, but I wouldnít say he will get 21, before we see him play a dozen games in Greaser PJs. They all just buy in hook line and sinker.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #4474
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Well it should be interesting to see how long his leash is up there. If Neal is the same player as last year, McOiler will have to use him as a decoy. He should do better up there, but I wouldnít say he will get 21, before we see him play a dozen games in Greaser PJs. They all just buy in hook line and sinker.
I'd personally be shocked if Neal doesnt get 20+ next season.

But again, that doesnt mean anything. Literally 'someone' has to get them. Hes going to basically just stand in the right place.

Neal and Lucic are different players on different teams in different states of competitiveness with different roles and different expectations.

Comparing the two players' upcoming personal stats is entirely irrelevant and really, thats the joke.

The Oilers had two 100+ point players last season. And missed the playoffs by a mile. Neal isnt going to move that needle.

The Flames dragged Neal's desiccated corpse around the ice all season and won the conference.

James Neal is going to be expected to be a 20+ Goal, 40-50 point player on a team that hopes to make the playoffs. He might hit those goal and point totals but the Oilers are still going to miss the playoffs.

Lucic is going to be expected to do 'more than nothing.'

So sure, these players were traded for each other and people will try and compare them as such, but the comparison is disingenuous at best and essentially useless.

Let the Greasers enjoy James Neal so they can feel better about running him out of town.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #4475
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don’t think he’ll get 20. Just based on how his shot looked last season and how long it took him to get a shot away. But if he gets 15-20 minutes a night he should have stats closer to his norm.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #4476
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
I donít think heíll get 20. Just based on how his shot looked last season and how long it took him to get a shot away. But if he gets 15-20 minutes a night he should have stats closer to his norm.
It'll likely be close. Ultimately, he was a shoehorned 9th player only because he wasnt good enough to displace anyone on the Flames to get into the Top 6 and he wast good enough defensively to play on the 4th line hence why he ended his tenure as a healthy scratch.

On the Oilers though? Hes immediately their 4th best player unless Chiasson wasnt lightning in a bottle.

On the Flames that would have required him to be in the 70+ points range which was just never going to happen.

On the Oilers though thats only about 40 points.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #4477
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid (and Draisaitl) both played substantial 5-on-5 minutes.

Neal could barely keep up last year when on the powerplay.

So unless Neal has found an extra gear or three, I have a hard time seeing him getting top line minutes with Tippett behind the bench. They don't need a shooter on their top line -- they need someone who can keep up in the o-zone and play responsible defence while 5-on-5. Neal does neither.

His best chance is finding some chemistry with Nugent-Hopkins on the second line, and getting time on the top powerplay unit.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #4478
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal wasn't all that good in Vegas...44 points and -11 on a first place team that could do no wrong
Old 08-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #4479
Monahammer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would be willing to bet against Neal hitting 20 this year, even with very preferential playing time. Shot does not seem to be there anymore, and he doesn't use his size effectively enough to become a garbage man.
couple that with the fact that he will only just be reaching the offensive zone when McDavid is shooting the puck and I think he is going to have a really bad season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #4480
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Oilers do everything they can to get Neal going and get him up near 20 goals.

In fact, I think it can even be argued that him getting 20 goals is a failure, or at least an indictment, on the franchise. Because if he does, he will have done so at the expense of them not having a younger, and potentially better, player to take those minutes and those opportunities.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote