Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #1961
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Tougher table for the summer season. We shouldn't be tying games with anyone right now, we need to be closing wins, especially against HFX, Pacific and Valour. Forge, York and FCE are going to be tough.
Rest for the championship. Top focus.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #1962
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Rest for the championship. Top focus.
Yesterday should've rested for sure. If Brown's injury going to hamper him at all for Wednesday, then that's a problem at striker. No matter if Tommy gets his class 2 driving license to park one of the shuttle buses in front of net on Wed, we still need to score a goal, and may need 2. Or 4 if we concede 2.

A better team vs Halifax, just couldn't finish and was able to slice through their defence with ease when we got a step up front.

That said, we've proven we're the best team in the league with players and starting XI and tactics and ability to close games out, and are in the finals already for the league because of that quality.

Let everyone else try and play catchup the rest of the season, I'm just fine, after the CC, with a proper balance of solid play which I know will continue, and secondary player development, so that the guys on the bench get honest playing time this last month or so, for their and the club's benefit next year. We will lose some players, as will other teams next year, but if we have a head start on getting a handful of developing guys that are mainly on the bench, quality playing time in league games, we will be better set up for next year, as all the teams the rest of this season roll out their top 11 the rest of the year to try and win to get to where we are already at.

Wednesday and hopefully the Finals though trumps any sort of league championship by 10 fold, though, results wise, for the history of the club and legitimacy of the league. Which is why it baffled me we had so many regulars start and play a full 90 yesterday. Only when Brown and Minatel got seonc d half knocks, did they get subbed, and left a sub out there unused.

Last edited by browna; 08-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #1963
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My biggest concern going forward is our backline. Waterman, Northover both injures has left us very thin. Zator, Wheeldon, and Trafford are going to be playing literally every game from here on out pretty much. Unless Tommy tries to play some guys out of position.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #1964
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saskatoon got 3000+ for a friendly against TFC II this afternoon, which they won, 2-0.

I want Saskatoon in the CPL. I think they would receive a CPL club similar to how Halifax has received the Wanderers. Plus I want another road trip that I can legitimately do without flying.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #1965
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Saskatoon got 3000+ for a friendly against TFC II this afternoon, which they won, 2-0.

I want Saskatoon in the CPL. I think they would receive a CPL club similar to how Halifax has received the Wanderers. Plus I want another road trip that I can legitimately do without flying.
I agree, but I would immediately hate them as much as I hate Edmonton FC!
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #1966
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree. I think Saskatoon would easily push the 6K+ attendance.

As far as I know the biggest thing holding them back is a sugar daddy. The investment group doesn’t have that one man with loads of cash to actually drop. So hopefully they can find that.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #1967
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Get in Markham and Saskatoon and suddenly the league could become very stable and legitimate, imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #1968
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the plan to expand by 3 teams next year, to get the number to 10? I wonder if Ottawa Fury would be one of the teams, though.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #1969
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm very excited for Wednesday's match against Impact.

We have a fighter's chance to get the needed 1-0 result, but no matter what happens in the game, the Cavs absolutely deserve a standing ovation once the final whistle blows.

Last edited by Howie_16; 08-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #1970
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Is the plan to expand by 3 teams next year, to get the number to 10? I wonder if Ottawa Fury would be one of the teams, though.
I think that was the plan, but as they haven't announced any new teams yet, I think 10 is a massive stretch. I know the stated goal was 16 teams by 2026.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 7 teams against next season. Think Ottawa will fight moving to CPL as much as they can.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #1971
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also excited for this Wednesday to check out the Cavalry FC. How does the shuttle from the pubs work? Do we need to book it in advance? Does it also bring you back to downtown post game? How much earlier should we get to the pub, to get a ride?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #1972
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1158837730723450880
Old 08-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #1973
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'd say ideally, you get a Quebec team next year, then Ottawa and Saskatoon in 2021.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #1974
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And based on ticket availability, we'll break the high water mark for attendance set against Vancouver. Looks like they found a really good pricing structure for these big games. Would be interesting to see how it would look in place against Edmonton.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #1975
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And based on ticket availability, we'll break the high water mark for attendance set against Vancouver. Looks like they found a really good pricing structure for these big games. Would be interesting to see how it would look in place against Edmonton.
Yeah, that's cool to see. It was looking a little slim for a few weeks there, but sales have been really slow and steady and now look great.

I'm still butthurt that the Vancouver game was announced as just over 5k when there was like 4 rows empty in the whole stadium.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #1976
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we plan to hit Rose and Crown prior to the game again.

What time do the busses leave roughly?

Probably head over around 4 or 4:30.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #1977
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, that's cool to see. It was looking a little slim for a few weeks there, but sales have been really slow and steady and now look great.

I'm still butthurt that the Vancouver game was announced as just over 5k when there was like 4 rows empty in the whole stadium.
I don't think capacity is 6000 myself. Probably closer to 5500-5600. And given much of the standing room was empty and moved into the grandstand, the 300 stand was only half full, and the fact that they likely don't sell many of those $250 ultra high end seats with the terrible view, what they announced was probably correct.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #1978
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think that was the plan, but as they haven't announced any new teams yet, I think 10 is a massive stretch. I know the stated goal was 16 teams by 2026.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 7 teams against next season. Think Ottawa will fight moving to CPL as much as they can.
I read an interesting rumour that, if true, makes a lot of sense. Essentially, Ottawa needs to be forced to move by CSA/Concacaf. Reason being that they'll be on the hook to pay off USL if they move by choice, but if they are denied sanctioning, it may release them from obligations to USL.

I think 8 teams next year at most if we're lucky, and it won't be Ottawa. I suspect Ottawa gets forced to join in 2021.

Last edited by Thunderball; 08-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #1979
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ticket sales looking good so far for the Wednesday game, and that's still with two days to go and walk-up sales to account for. Hopefully the stadium is packed.

Win or lose, we need to cheer the crap out of the Cavs at the end of the game, with a standing ovation. What a ride it's been so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #1980
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I read an interesting rumour that, if true, makes a lot of sense. Essentially, Ottawa needs to be forced to move by CSA/Concacaf. Reason being that they'll be on the hook to pay off USL if they move by choice, but if they are denied sanctioning, it may release them from obligations to USL.

I think 8 teams next year at most if we're lucky, and it won't be Ottawa. I suspect Ottawa gets forced to join in 2021.
Personally, I don't think Ottawa moves to CPL until Julian de Guzman is out. He is the main detractor against CPL, and Ottawa seems to be all in with him. As to why he is against CPL, who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge