Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Really? You're dissecting the science?

I'm glad I didn't see any of the trailers or reviews. I just went in expecting a light hearted space show and that is exactly what I got. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
I'm in somewhat the same boat.

I always felt that Star Trek took itself way too seriously and never really had a lot of fun.

I mean, Starfleet is huge, they cant all be 'Captain Picard,' theres bound to be some screwups and losers, and with Rodenberry's adamant stance that it be some Utopia and that characters couldnt have issues between each other you could see how it got stale.

So I like the concept, I thought it was going to be an entire crew of screwups and losers who know that the Orville is the 'Last Chance Saloon' before they're crewing garbage scows on the Outer Rim.

But I do like the fact that most of the crew are quirky but competent.

Anyways, I'm really not a fan of MacFarlane's humour but I thought this episode was pretty good and I'm looking forward to more.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #22
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did like that they called the shields "deflector screens" like the first half of season 1 of TOS. Nice call back.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm in somewhat the same boat.

I always felt that Star Trek took itself way too seriously and never really had a lot of fun.

I mean, Starfleet is huge, they cant all be 'Captain Picard,' theres bound to be some screwups and losers, and with Rodenberry's adamant stance that it be some Utopia and that characters couldnt have issues between each other you could see how it got stale.

So I like the concept, I thought it was going to be an entire crew of screwups and losers who know that the Orville is the 'Last Chance Saloon' before they're crewing garbage scows on the Outer Rim.

But I do like the fact that most of the crew are quirky but competent.

Anyways, I'm really not a fan of MacFarlane's humour but I thought this episode was pretty good and I'm looking forward to more.
We're on the same page, I mean the closest we got to that was in voyager when Tuvok took on the worst of the crew to train them, and in the span of that episode they became basically the avenger, really competent and above average functional crew members.

I think the key point is that in this story there are 3000 ships in the fleet. They were also careful to remark that the heavy cruisers got all the good personal and captains, so to me the mediocre crew get assigned to the "Medium Sized Exploration vessels". Basically you're not good at your jobs so we'll put you on smaller ships so if we lose you its not a big loss, but if you overcome you might get to go to a big ship.

I mean even the first mission is a milk run that they can't screw up at all. We need you to deliver some crap, I think that's why the crew reacted in the way it did when they learned that their mission was far different.

I expect that at some point we're going to see the Orville running into a heavy cruiser and we're going to see an absolute clash of cultures. It will basically be like what would happen if Jean Luc Picard had to deal with a smart a%% ups delivery driver.

JLP - "All right we're doing this by the book"

Captain Ed - "Wait there's a book?"

If this galaxy assigns you to ship sized based upon performance, whats the crew of a small exploratory vessel going to be like?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I liked it more than I thought I would, even though it was mediocre. I was just happy it wasn't a zany family guy style star trek parody. Instead it was a lighthearted take on Star Trek. I hope they can continue to find the balance between humorous take on the Star Trek formula and space exploration/the human condition in their own right.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They even got the 'Seeing the ship for the first time' music right.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #26
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Overall it wasn't bad. If they keep the same approach with imperfect characters and the bits of humour, I'll continue to watch.

Quote:
They even got the 'Seeing the ship for the first time' music right.
That was a little overdone. Unknown ship, 10 minutes into the series? It's a nice homage to the way Star Trek does it. But at least when Star Trek does it, it has a lot more meaning to it.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Overall it wasn't bad. If they keep the same approach with imperfect characters and the bits of humour, I'll continue to watch.

That was a little overdone. Unknown ship, 10 minutes into the series? It's a nice homage to the way Star Trek does it. But at least when Star Trek does it, it has a lot more meaning to it.
I think that was the joke. Because its always the same ship, or in this case it was supposed to be a lame ship.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #28
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
I think that was the joke. Because its always the same ship, or in this case it was supposed to be a lame ship.
Yeah, I was following him on Twitter at the time, didn't seem like a joke to him:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/s...10685063192576
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing the show did really, really well was the music. Who has the budget for a real orchestra and composers who can write in the grand classical style for a TV show? Its almost absurd how good it was even compared to a lot of movies.

Overall I think the show is going to grow into something special. Encounter At Farpoint was hardly indicative of the style and feeling that TNG would grow into. Same could be said for the first couple seasons of DS9. I'm going to be patient and see where it goes. The "papa smurf" reference was kind of lame, as I doubt anyone 400 years in the future would know or care about that. The dog licking its balls, "checking to see if I'm a dick?", "being written up for showing up to work hung-over six times" and such were awesome.

If this is really more about making a humorous sci-fi show than a Trek parody then I am all for it.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #30
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was pretty good. I check out early in shows quite easily but I'll stick around to see where this goes.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #31
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit weird that it's getting roasted by critics but we all more or less liked it.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #32
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Bit weird that it's getting roasted by critics but we all more or less liked it.
For some reason Seth MacFarlane really touches a nerve with critics. I concede that most of his humor is an acquired taste, but when he's more of a collaborator it turns out well (see American Dad).

On topic, I really enjoyed the pilot. I thought it was paced well and much of the satire was subtle and appropriate. It's not at all what I expected, and that is a good thing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked the joke about the door being a pickle jar and after Alara knocked it down, "I loosened it for you".

Norm McDonald voices the blob that captain ran through so I assume that the blob is going to play a bigger part in the show than the one word or two words it said in the first episode.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #34
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went in with low expectations, came out pretty surprised. It wasn't great by any means but it was funny, unique, and didn't try too hard. I'll watch it again for sure.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I really liked the joke about the door being a pickle jar and after Alara knocked it down, "I loosened it for you".

Norm McDonald voices the blob that captain ran through so I assume that the blob is going to play a bigger part in the show than the one word or two words it said in the first episode.
For some reason, even though I saw that line coming, it was a great delivery.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #36
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dog liked it a lot for some reason. Must have been all the bleeps and bloops. She watched most of the episode and even jumped a little bit during the botanist scene.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

I really wasn't interested in this show.....but Norm McDonald, I might have to try it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #38
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I really wasn't interested in this show.....but Norm McDonald, I might have to try it.
He's a national treasure.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

New episode tonight was solid. Honestly felt like the plot of a classic TNG episode.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #40
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was enjoyable. Trekish campy ,with some irreverent content. Bottom line so far is that it stays programmed to my PVR for now.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote