Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
Reaper
Franchise Player
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: I'm right behind you
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He had a long career with almost 800 games, why is his pension only $1000 a month?
He started drawing it at age 45 and it is reduced as a result. A larger pension is available if one can wait to draw on it until age 65.
__________________
Don't fear me. Trust me.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
He started drawing it at age 45 and it is reduced as a result. A larger pension is available if one can wait to draw on it until age 65.
Do you have a link? I know 2 NHL players in their 50's getting pensions a whole lot more than $1000.00 a month
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
Reaper
Franchise Player
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: I'm right behind you
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Do you have a link? I know 2 NHL players in their 50's getting pensions a whole lot more than $1000.00 a month
Sorry, I don't have a link per se. This is just something I heard in a Sportsnet piece a while back.
__________________
Don't fear me. Trust me.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #24
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Sorry, I don't have a link per se. This is just something I heard in a Sportsnet piece a while back.
I'm told it's possible his ex-wife and kid(s) get some of his pension
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #25
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Do you have a link? I know 2 NHL players in their 50's getting pensions a whole lot more than $1000.00 a month
From what I understand, the official NHL pension system is rather nebulous to understand, its been changed and revamped several times.

But the 'Official Pension' from what I understand isnt all that great and older players were being paid a whole lot less and didnt contribute as much as under several of the more modern structures.

And as with any pension plan, the sooner you start drawing on it the less you get on a monthly basis because it has to last longer which places more emphasis on the individual's own investments for their retirement.

I'd be interested in learning more about it.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
From what I understand, the official NHL pension system is rather nebulous to understand, its been changed and revamped several times.

But the 'Official Pension' from what I understand isnt all that great and older players were being paid a whole lot less and didnt contribute as much as under several of the more modern structures.

And as with any pension plan, the sooner you start drawing on it the less you get on a monthly basis because it has to last longer which places more emphasis on the individual's own investments for their retirement.

I'd be interested in learning more about it.
Yeah I was told playing era's were different for pensions but during the 80's and 90's it was a individual pension account and Murphy should be collecting far more than 12K a year after playing 800 games.

It's funny but my source actually played with him for a short period and even on the same line but I won't mention his name
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016