Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #201
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well if they aren't going to contend in the next three years as you say what's there to destroy? I really don't think other players in the locker room are going to call the GM a cracker because Brown did. The reality is that 99% of players fall in line and it's just a small handful that create the drama. The thing is that if the Raiders cut him and the Pats picked him up you would mock the Raiders regardless so they are better off keeping him for the remainder of the season (if he makes it that long) and they have two 1st round picks if they want to start over at WR in the offseason. All Brown has accomplished is making it extremely easy for the Raiders to get out of the contract without paying guaranteed money which is fine by me.
You are rebuilding and those young guys seeing that AB can walk all over Gruden and Mayock is gonna what, cause them to become like Patriots players? Or like crazy ass AB? He isn't helping long term, doesn't look like he'll even be short term help. His guarantees become harder to void when he can prove his insane antics weren't even worthy of a suspension. I was actually ready to applaud Mayock for taking a stand, instead Gruden undercut him. Which as I've been saying for a while is the problem the Raiders can't get out of for at least 5 more years, more realistically 7. Gruden is not a good coach, talent evaluator, or locker room manager. And he has full control. Brutal.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #202
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah but TO was happy during 2004. He went super pissy in 2005 and destroyed the Eagles' season.
I get that but then again what's to destroy this season for the Raiders? The moment the schedule was announced the season was essentially destroyed. After next week's home game against the Chiefs the Raiders won't play in Oakland again until November 3rd. That's a month and a half where a team does not play a single game in their own stadium. Even if the Raiders were a division contender this schedule would likely do them in. Brown on the field opens things up for Williams, Renfrew, Waller, Jacobs, etc and should help them out in their first seasons with the team and should leave no excuses for Carr so Gruden can make the call on whether to start again at QB with one of their 1st round picks. It was always a throwaway season as the team is building to open in Vegas with a competitive team so this Brown stuff while annoying isn't something I'm worried about in regards to damaging the team. I highly doubt Brown is a Raider next season and if he is that's probably a good thing because it means the season went well.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #203
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The impact so far has been pretty much player vs GM confrontation.

As long as he can maintain an okay relationship with Gruden and Carr then it won’t hurt the on-field too much.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #204
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we all know he won't be keeping a good relationship with Carr, Ben is a elite and he couldn't keep one with him, so Captain Checkdown isn't going to endear himself to AB at all.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #205
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And we all know he won't be keeping a good relationship with Carr, Ben is a elite and he couldn't keep one with him, so Captain Checkdown isn't going to endear himself to AB at all.
Ben is also a massive dickhead, so I wouldn't read much into that.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #206
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that he is, but he is also a much better QB than Carr and he was instrumental in Browns rise. And let's not forget Brown had 168 targets last year and still threw tantrums at the sideline ... I'd imagine he'll turn on Carr quickly.

I wonder how all that "patching up" goes over in the dressing room. I mean, obviously a superstar like him has a longer leash than Joe Nobody, but if you don't even pretend that there's same rules for everybody then I imagine some players would not be too happy about it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #207
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Much more difficult schedule this year and the rest of the division will be better. I'm willing to bet that Bears pick is in the teens so yes far apart.
Well I guess that's an improvement on the 2 top 10 picks you were getting last year
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #208
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine it's a results thing, if the Raiders start 7-1 Brown can basically have carte blanche and the other guys live with it. If they're 1-7 then obviously all hell breaks lose.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #209
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine it's a results thing, if the Raiders start 7-1 Brown can basically have carte blanche and the other guys live with it. If they're 1-7 then obviously all hell breaks lose.
One of the great sports truisms is "winning takes care of everything."
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #210
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the Beauty of sports...AB can go out there and shut everyone up, or fall on his face

don't tell me you won't be watching

I think the Raiders are much better than people think
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #211
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He really can't shut everyone up. He clearly has CTE, so when he starts taking more head shots again he's gonna what....sane up? Probably not.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #212
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He really can't shut everyone up. He clearly has CTE, so when he starts taking more head shots again he's gonna what....sane up? Probably not.
Well that is a bit of a reach...he is not the first athlete/celebrity to act like a diva

you are right though, no matter what everyone will be talking about him
Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #213
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually not a stretch at all, I and most people will be absolutely shocked if it doesn't end up being the case. That Burfict hit really did the job.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly doubt it's CTE this early. If that was the case you could argue Luke Kuechly should be in a wheelchair today. His success has gone to his head and there could be other issues we don't know about.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-06-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #215
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuechly likely has it too. But everyone's head is different. This latest episode strongly suggests CTE more than diva. A diva is not ####ing around with losing $30 million. A guy with brain damage, however, definitely will.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #216
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kuechly likely has it too. But everyone's head is different. This latest episode strongly suggests CTE more than diva. A diva is not ####ing around with losing $30 million. A guy with brain damage, however, definitely will.
He's not messing around with $30 million. He's pushing the team to the limit but he apologized today probably after discussions with his agent going over the facts of the contract and what he stands to lose. As far as I know TO or Me-shawn Johnson don't have CTE issues. TO was one minute crying on camera about loving his QB and the next throwing him under the bus. He was nuts too. AB is simply today's version of those players. The classic diva receiver.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #217
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are just repeating the CTE stuff they are hearing from TV doctors...plenty of athletes in all sports have risked and even lost millions of dollars because of stupid decisions.

Allen Iverson didn't like practice...one too many balls in the head I guess.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #218
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's actually not a stretch at all, I and most people will be absolutely shocked if it doesn't end up being the case. That Burfict hit really did the job.
I've heard other theories like this. My guess is that the brutal hit made him realize (and who knows, maybe the lack of support of the team, league, teammates, friends, others in the immediate aftermath) that no one is really looking out for him or taking care of him, other then himself.

Imo his behaviour since that hit his been more of a guy who is 100% selfish, doesn't care about others because he doesn't think any one cares about him, and thus doesn't feel he owes anyone anything, then any sort of brain impairment.

He's apparently now fined for the Mayock thing, and not happy about that. Mayock should've punted him and maybe he wanted to, but if Gruden and Davis overruled, there would be more issues with Mayock having zero clout.

And taking a step back, if that was a couple years ago and a white receiver using a derogatory term, alledgedly or not, to Reggie McKenzie, the guy would be out of the league already and getting death threats on social media, so he should count himself very lucky.

Last edited by browna; 09-06-2019 at 08:06 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #219
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

AB is not just a diva. Reminder that as bad as Tyreek is, AB was pretty close to killing a kid in a rage incident. And TO and Keyshawn got their money before they went diva. AB is threatening to not even get paid to....be a diva? Not a chance. I get Raider fans have to stand by their man, but if he was on the Broncos right now we all know what you'd be saying. He has issues that are far, far greater than the diva stuff we saw from TO and Keyshawn.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #220
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just released this.

Well, now know how he spent his time away from practice, producing this vid. Can't imagine Gruden or the Raiders appreciate him using private phone calls in this.

Last edited by browna; 09-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote